Are young teams like the Avs more negativity affected by the NHL hiatus?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Do you think young teams like the Avs are more negatively affected by the NHL hiatus?

With arenas, gyms and team facilities closed players likely won’t be able to skate train, strength train, or work on the skill areas of their game.

If this hiatus lasts a long time, I think the younger players are hurt more by it than the veterans. It’s more important for them to work on their game/skills and physically develop than it is for the older players.

It’s just a shame that for players like Makar, Girard, Rantanen, Kaut, Graves, Bowers, Byram, and Timmins this could turn into a lost off-season progression wise.

Do you think I’m way off in thinking this? Let me know.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I think enough of the season has passed that they got 90% of the development out of the year as they could have. The guys in the NHL have grown about as much as they are going to this year. The one exception is the ones that will be missing their first taste of the playoffs (or an extended run).

IMO, the veterans are hurt a bit more by it. The ones that are in the last few seasons to win a cup, etc. They are getting older, regardless of playing, and the loss of playoff year could mena some of them never get that last shot at Stanley. Or they could be that much closer to being pushed aside for youngsters. But that is only the oldest 10%.

The ones a bit younger, like EJ, are probably benefiting from the rest and time to heal. This goes for most players of course, but for the 28+ crowd, healing is a bit slower, so an extra month of downtime can be huge.

The prospects are likely getting set back a bit...the CHL/NCAA playoffs and the IIHF tournaments are huge for the 17-19 year olds. For scouting as well as development. (As a whole, not necessarily individually). Plus the opportunity to jump to the NHL/AHL if their CHL/NCAA season ends early enough. Ditto for the Euro kids...league playoffs and IIHF could add up to a significant number of missed games.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think every player is getting a negative experience here. It's good for nobody - except the injured who have time to rest I suppose. Maybe teams that really sucked and wanted the season to end could benefit too (i.e. the red wings who received undeserved mercy and should have had to suffer the full season of being the shittiest team of all time)

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I’m hoping we come out guns blazing if we play. Like we started out last year before goalie’s shit the bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad