Are you sold on Marcus Johansson as the new full time 2C?

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I think its a huge bonus for the team if he can fill the role. Having him playing well at 2C with his cap hit will help a lot moving forward. And then the focus can move to a 2LD.

Maybe if/when Kiz shows up he can be the scoring the second line is missing so bad.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Given the 2a/2b thing they have going with the 2nd line, I'd like to see MoJo get an extended shot at the 2C role. I'm more sold on him at that position than I am with the guy to his right as 2RW....

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
I can't say that I am completely sold on him as 2C as that line isn't producing like a 2nd line should, but I don't think that is his fault. He is still a young player and developing some of the more physical aspects of his game. Have seen him shrug defenders off using his speed against the boards which has been a very savvy and physical move on his part. Would like to see an improvement in his draws, but him basically being relegated to LW last year and the beginning of this year have probably hampered that.

Right now I am leaning to being sold, but that line needs some adjustments before I can completely make that judgement

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Not totally sold yet, but I think it's promising that he's looked good despite being tied to two anchors. It's a shame we can't get him some proper help until Kuz gets here.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Eh, I don't think it matters whether or not he's playing well enough as the 2C (He is) because of our "1st" and "3rd" lines.

Mojo performing this well is just a nice bonus.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Given the 2a/2b thing they have going with the 2nd line, I'd like to see MoJo get an extended shot at the 2C role. I'm more sold on him at that position than I am with the guy to his right as 2RW....

+1

I'm more confident in Mojo as 2C then I am in Laich as 2LW or Brouwer as 2RW.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
He's basically a 3C now, so not yet. Though I definitely like MJ better when he plays his role.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
It'll be easier to tell if someone on that line starts producing or even generating scoring chances. He still needs to learn how to take a faceoff too.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I am sold. There were some growing pains but he is clearly shaping up into the player the Caps thought he could be when they drafted him. Man, can he skate! It's a beautiful thing.

When he first entered the NHL he was physically overmatched. Lately, I've seen him learn how to be stronger on the puck and decent along the boards. He still has work to do but the trajectory is where you want it. His value is rapidly rising.

Regarding Laich: He had five solid years here and essentially missed an entire season. He's a legit 45 point player. The chances of him rounding back in to form are good. Give it some time.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If he's going to be the long-term answer there he needs to learn to win faceoffs. He's currently winning 29.8% and that number is just terrible. Laich can still take them while he's in that line (hopefully not too long), but he's winning only 45% aswell.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There's no option in the poll that matches my opinion, so I didn't vote.

I'm in the minority on this issue, I like him more at wing. I think he's a more useful player there as a playmaking wing, especially given that his strength along the boards has improved this year. I do not at all think his value is tied to him playing center, nor do I think he's been "better" in really any fashion since being moved to 2C. I question whether anyone had watched him this season prior to that point if they believe so (he'd been terrific on the wing to start this year).

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
I think i would have rather traded MJ vs Forsberg at the time, that said I like the jump in skating from Mojo. He has been wheeling around and think that should pay off some over time, as it did last evening.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
There's no option in the poll that matches my opinion, so I didn't vote.

I'm in the minority on this issue, I like him more at wing. I think he's a more useful player there as a playmaking wing, especially given that his strength along the boards has improved this year. I do not at all think his value is tied to him playing center, nor do I think he's been "better" in really any fashion since being moved to 2C. I question whether anyone had watched him this season prior to that point if they believe so (he'd been terrific on the wing to start this year).

Lets say he's rated at 75 at both Wing and Center this year, couldn't him playing as a 75 at Center be more valuable purely because a Center is/should be more valuable than playing on the Wing.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lets say he's rated at 75 at both Wing and Center this year, couldn't him playing as a 75 at Center be more valuable purely because a Center is/should be more valuable than playing on the Wing.

A) I'd rate him higher on the wing
B) It's not that cut and dry. If you can't find a line combination to make Johansson productive at center, it doesn't matter which is "more valuable" of a position. Right now Laich-Johansson-Brouwer is not working.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
A) I'd rate him higher on the wing
B) It's not that cut and dry. If you can't find a line combination to make Johansson productive at center, it doesn't matter which is "more valuable" of a position. Right now Laich-Johansson-Brouwer is not working.

To be fair those two have been an albatross for whatever Center has had to...center them.

I feel like he's doing much better where he's at now merely because he never seemed to be in a position to help Ovi out. He doesn't shoot, so pairing him with Backy just creates a black hole where neither one wants to hold the puck for longer than 2 seconds. I'd really love to flip Laich and Wilson, or someone who isn't afraid to take a shot and can actually get one off.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Still needs to get stronger and must get much better at faceoffs. Progressing in other areas clearly tho. He certainly has the wheels for it and is defensively responsible enough.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not sold yet, but last night was the first ELITE type of play I can remember from him. He's moving in the right direction. Add some strength and a little more propensity to shoot.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
We've been *****ing about him being weak forever. Last night, he shut us up for a while.

Cautiously optimistic (probably because I am so pessimistic about the rest of my teams lol)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think it's way too early for that, besides in reality he's playing on the 3rd line right now. But he's quite a useful player, no doubt, and extremely good value at that cap hit.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would likely be more sold had we committed last year to developing him at C, working on faceoffs, testing him in the position we need him most; filling in for Richards Laich at 2C. Using his speed in open ice, utilizing his solid defensive schooling in Schfeeden.

I wonder if Erat is a good mentor for him. Not necessarily to play with, just able to watch how a vet scoring LW of similar stature rolls. Maybe Grabovski is a better mentor.

I want Marcus to get an extended look at scoring C, and some checking C. Lets see where his faceoffs are. Lets see where his offense is. Lets find wingers for him. I am stunned but thrilled Oates moved him to C, finally.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad