Are you content with the defense as is going into the season?

Are you content with the defense for now?

• Total voters

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
We seem to have a lot of offensive minded, good skating, puck moving defensemen, which isn't a bad thing really.

But we could use a high quality "stay at home" D-man to help PK and used as a shut down on opponents top lines. You know, like they kept trying to make Risto do.

If you take a look at the RD they're kind of the same skill type players. No diversity. On the left side, Dahlin isn't the answer for what I'm looking for, and neither is Pilut. McCabe I thought would be but you can't put too much trust in him. Scandella? Yikes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wouldn't mind trading Scandella for something of value.

Scandella with Spurgeon did good things when they were together, but that's two years ago now. I'm not sure how much value he's going to have beyond something like a third round pick.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Dahlin-Miller
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Montour
Scandella, Bogo, Nelson

Obviously assuming Risto does not get moved. Is this blue line capable of contending for a playoff spot?
I'm fine with that group for now, personally.

Scandella, Bogosian and Nelson are UFA's after this year... honestly I wouldn't mind expediting things and moving Scandella and/or Bogosian this offseason or by the TDL if possible.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Dahlin-Miller
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Montour
Scandella, Bogo, Nelson

Obviously assuming Risto does not get moved. Is this blue line capable of contending for a playoff spot?

Which pair do I want taking a d zone faceoff against Crosby, late in the 3rd period, defending a 1 goal lead, in a playoff game?

Nope.... still needs work.

Reactions: Gabrielor and Husko

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Which pair do I want taking a d zone faceoff against Crosby, late in the 3rd period, defending a 1 goal lead, in a playoff game?

It's obviously going to be...

Dahlin-Montour: Regular deployment, excels
Pilut-Miller: Easy deployment, amazing stats because easy deployment

McCabe/Scandella-Risto: ALL THE DEFENSE

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
It's obviously going to be...

Dahlin-Montour: Regular deployment, excels
Pilut-Miller: Easy deployment, amazing stats because easy deployment

McCabe/Scandella-Risto: ALL THE DEFENSE
I don't think so. Dahlin is gonna be able to handle tough minutes against really good players this year imo so you have to throw him in the mix. Which places risto into an offensive role more exclusively where he'll do better. We def need someone to emerge as a proven d first guy that can eat tough assignments so dahlin isn't only in hard matchups...... but there will come a time when he excels in those too. Anyways, I disagree with your argument. Just give a lot of those tough minutes to dahlin too and it benefits the whole group

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

not really a fair example. Of course there will be big situations. Look at how most playoff games turn out against elite playoff teams like pittsburgh was years ago. They win them, and usually it's not because of a dramatic comeback goal by their best player late in the game. I agree that the d needs work but that is not really the best way to prove your point, it's just hyperbole

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't think so. Dahlin is gonna be able to handle tough minutes against really good players this year imo so you have to throw him in the mix. Which places risto into an offensive role more exclusively where he'll do better. We def need someone to emerge as a proven d first guy that can eat tough assignments so dahlin isn't only in hard matchups...... but there will come a time when he excels in those too. Anyways, I disagree with your argument. Just give a lot of those tough minutes to dahlin too and it benefits the whole group

I don't want to give him tough zone starts yet. Let him continue to develop the offensive game.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I don't want to give him tough zone starts yet. Let him continue to develop the offensive game.
Why not though? If he can handle 25% of those matchups in proportion to the rest of the d it'll both help him develop that side of his game and open up the other d men (like risto) a little bit more. Risto is clearly failing as our go to d-zone dman. Of course it would be better to acquire a proven stay at home guy but that is not always realistic considering the market. If dahlin can take some of the minutes he should be given that opportunity. Nothing is set in stone. The lineup can be shaken around if dahlin begins to fail in the way that risto has, in favor of catering to his capabilities as a young player in the league. It's kind of silly not to see what he can do at this stage imo

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Scandella with Spurgeon did good things when they were together, but that's two years ago now. I'm not sure how much value he's going to have beyond something like a third round pick.

If Braun can fetch a 2nd+, I don't see why Scandella couldn't also.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm content for now, not long-term. No additions necessary this summer though, because any of Bryson, Borgen, Samuelsson, and Laaksonen could fill holes. Just switching out two of them while (within the next 6-8 months) ditching Hunwick, Scandella, Bogosian, and Nelson is an improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad