Are you content with the defense as is going into the season?

Are you content with the defense for now?

• Total voters

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Dahlin-Miller
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Montour
Scandella, Bogo, Nelson

Obviously assuming Risto does not get moved. Is this blue line capable of contending for a playoff spot?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'm fine with the net amount of talent back there for now, but making a move for a 2C however they want to do it is still priority number 1, and we might have to revisit this question if that happens.

Reactions: Vito_81

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
with Miller it is much better than before but I still wouldn't consider it contention worthy unless dahlin grows immensely and guys are used properly. Maybe a bubble team d corps, maybe not for this upcoming season

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Capable of contending for/getting to the playoffs? Absolutely. You can get into the playoffs with all kinds of roster deficiencies.
Capable of doing much damage in the playoffs? Eek. That group is light on guys who can play top-notch defense.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
It’s not perfect probably bubble team as stated above but we have enough prospects that I’m content riding it out for next season. The sole focus now should be improving offence.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still needs tinkering. More on the removal side, but I’m still looking for a 2nd pair shutdown guy.

They are not a defensively stout group at all. If the objective is to push play up the ice, they will still need people who can defend around the net without looking like fools. I don’t see that on this roster right now outside of McCabe and he still has plenty of cramps mentally

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
They are not a defensively stout group at all. If the objective is to push play up the ice, they will still need people who can defend around the net without looking like fools. I don’t see that on this roster right now outside of McCabe and he still has plenty of cramps mentally

While that is all true who do you take out to insert a stay at home D?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Blue line still needs tinkering. Ideally, Scandella and Hunwick don't see the ice again in a Buffalo Sabres uniform -- but right now, that's going to happen given the Pilut injury.

I'm fine with the right-side as is. Needs some help on the left behind Dahlin.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
As the defense is today, no. Plenty of room for improvement. Quite honestly, the only defenseman I like on the main roster(excluding prospects) is Dahlin, Pilut, Miller and somewhat Montour, but that’s solely on my opinion he’s an improvement from what I wanted to see in Risto. Since Montour came here, I’ve been counting the days until Risto is traded. I have been ready to move on from him for 3 years now, but now we have the pieces to do so compared to back then.

Dahlin and Pilut are two guys who I feel the most comfortable in trusting them playing competent hockey in all 3 zones. I have a little trust in Miller to do the same, but’s only because of the limited amount of game film I’ve seen on him. Montour I don’t trust his play in the defensive zone but I like his transition play and offensive zone play.

If this is the framework of the defense we’re going in with, I’m hoping there’s a lot of turnover in the forward ranks to help ease the pressure on the defense.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I put yes. I wouldn't be upset with it, but it would be nice to see upgrades.

Dahlin, Montour, Pilut, Miller aren't going anywhere.

McCabe is meh, but he brings some elements the rest of the D lacks, and should be relatively inexpensive. Oddly seems like LD aren't super available right now too.

Which leaves the only possible change being Risto. It's been discussed to death, and while I don't think RK will cure Risto of all his faults, I hope he can be used better and be a guy instead of THE guy. Grit can be overrated, but if we move Risto we will be lacking that much more in the physicality area.

The defense could be better, but I don't look at it as if it's glaringly terrible and obvious moves must be made.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
In my opinion it is strong enough that the focus should be on the forward group. The Sabres should be battling for a playoff spot at this point, they aren't contending for the Cup. Continue to build the whole group, but right now the focus has to be beyond our one line offense.

Reactions: IlikeEich

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
No, not necessarily because they need to *add* more good players, rather they need to subtract out a couple bad players. Risto and Scandella are historically poor in nearly every metric, both counting and analytical stats.

Getting replacement level play out of those two,or replacing them with others who do, would be worth probably 6-10pts alone.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'd like one more top-4 LD with defensive chops and a solid transition game. If Pilut comes back and performs well then we have a good problem on our hands. If Risto is traded we will need two more defenseman. No way should Bogo or Scandella be more than depth D going into the season. I'm interested to see how Scandella recovers from his injury.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
In my opinion it is strong enough that the focus should be on the forward group. The Sabres should be battling for a playoff spot at this point, they aren't contending for the Cup. Continue to build the whole group, but right now the focus has to be beyond our one line offense.

Ya, this.

The D looks like they'll be competent enough to put us in position, we need forward help a bit more now.

See if Bogo/Scandella can play their way into having some value, then ship 'em off 20 games in? That's the kinda move I'd be thinking. Rather give Risto one season in the right role rather than pull the trigger because he wasn't ready to be Pronger.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'd be OK without doing anything but losing some dead weight where possible but big picture the left side could use a legit top 4 guy, especially with Pilut out for a bit. Curious to see how this group works under a hopefully much better coach. Year two from Dahlin. Full season with Montour. New addition in Miller. Possible improvements/bounce-backs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad