Are we in the next "Golden Age" of hockey?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
There's no such thing as the Golden Age of hockey.

The game is constantly evolving for the BETTER. We're always in the "golden age".

You can't measure these in things like how good offensive seasons some players have put or are putting up. Offense is always in contrast with the defense.

Hockey is more of a TEAM game nowadays. And will be even more so in the future. That is why you will not see record breaking seasons any more and that's the way it should be. Competition is more tougher than ever before and the difference between a 4th liner and a superstar is smaller than ever - AND THAT'S A GOOD THING.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We have plenty of stars, but the game itself is much more boring these days. So I can't say we are in the golden age right now.

This. The talent is the best it's ever been, but the parity and entertainment value make it tough sometimes. Add to that fighting and hitting are becoming a thing of the past and some games are astonishingly boring to watch. It's an all skill game which is great, but the problem is players can rarely consistently showcase that skill due to defense and goaltending being so good. That said Leafs games are more fun to watch now than they have been since the full season lockout, so that is helping. Even some games with McDavid in it, he'll have 2-3 decent rushes where he creates good chances and then seemingly not be able to due much else for the rest of the game, arguably the quickest and most skilled player ever with the puck. Put him back in the early/mid 90s and I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be scoring multiple highlight reel goals and assists every single game.

Last edited:

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
nothing is more boring than 80's hockey. to see Messier skate across the blue line and let go a weak wrist shot from the top of the circle and find the top corner 80% of the time...that isn't exciting hockey. The game's speed and skill is increasing. The youth are carrying the league. It is getting good. Embrace it and quit whining about the past.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

The game is constantly evolving for the BETTER. We're always in the "golden age".

You can't measure these in things like how good offensive seasons some players have put or are putting up. Offense is always in contrast with the defense.

Hockey is more of a TEAM game nowadays. And will be even more so in the future. That is why you will not see record breaking seasons any more and that's the way it should be. Competition is more tougher than ever before and the difference between a 4th liner and a superstar is smaller than ever - AND THAT'S A GOOD THING.

I agree with everything except the bolded part. Who exactly is it good for? The most entertaining things about watching sports is watching amazing plays and dominance, todays NHL lacks that significantly compared to years past because of the factors you mentioned. Everyone is in perfect position and can close in on everyone so quickly that it's just cycling the puck around, point shot, rebound, deflection, skate like the wind the other way and do it all over if it doesn't go in your own net. Obviously the players are better today, but they have a hard time showing it consistently which is why it's not as fun to watch.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I agree with everything except the bolded part. Who exactly is it good for? The most entertaining things about watching sports is watching amazing plays and dominance, todays NHL lacks that significantly compared to years past because of the factors you mentioned. Everyone is in perfect position and can close in on everyone so quickly that it's just cycling the puck around, point shot, rebound, deflection, skate like the wind the other way and do it all over if it doesn't go in your own net. Obviously the players are better today, but they have a hard time showing it consistently which is why it's not as fun to watch.
Of course you can model the game to give more advantage to the pure skill. And changes like that have been made in for example 3on3 OT, bigger o-zone, tighter rules in penalizing etc.

What I meant was that is good thing that our game is so professional and the competition is so tough that players are more even.

But I also like the recent rule changes so far.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think 93-2001, and then 2005-10 was the most entertaining hockey ever, and by far too. No other eras or time periods are even close for me. I started watching in 1992, and have seen numerous classic games dating back to the 60s as well. Those time periods I mentioned had the best of everything that provides entertainment in a hockey game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Of course you can model the game to give more advantage to the pure skill. And changes like that have been made in for example 3on3 OT, bigger o-zone, tighter rules in penalizing etc.

What I meant was that is good thing that our game is so professional and the competition is so tough that players are more even.

But I also like the recent rule changes so far.

Yeah you have some good points there. And don't get me wrong, many games are still very entertaining. It's just there are far too many boring games for me compared to past years that's all.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think 93-2001, and then 2005-10 was the most entertaining hockey ever, and by far too. No other eras or time periods are even close for me. I started watching in 1992, and have seen numerous classic games dating back to the 60s as well. Those time periods I mentioned had the best of everything that provides entertainment in a hockey game.
Similar for me, i would say 1992-96 and then 2005-2012 were the most entertaining eras. 1997-2004 was the worst, it was a brutal dead puck era and i found it hard to sit through games. And 2012-2016 has been pretty bad too, more difficult for individual talent to shine through. The 1992-96 era probably extends further back to around the late 80s when Europeans really started coming over en masse, but i started watching hockey in 92-93.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
'87 Canada Cup....that was the golden age of hockey.

It's settled ;)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Similar for me, i would say 1992-96 and then 2005-2012 were the most entertaining eras. 1997-2004 was the worst, it was a brutal dead puck era and i found it hard to sit through games. And 2012-2016 has been pretty bad too, more difficult for individual talent to shine through. The 1992-96 era probably extends further back to around the late 80s when Europeans really started coming over en masse, but i started watching hockey in 92-93.

Yeah same season I started watching. I find it hard to exclude the 1997-01 period though because I think there was far too much skill and physical play in that period as well as the entertainment value with the Detroit vs. Colorado playoff matchups, which consist of a lot of the best games I've ever seen. 01-04 talent got a little diluted with injuries and players getting old and no other younger guys taking there place as well as hooking, holding and interference reaching new levels until 03-04 where it was just disgusting to watch. Infact I think I prefer 97-01 and 2005-10 or so more than 92-97. I think the game was too wide open then and goaltending and defense was just too horrible in hindsight.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Technically yes.

The defensive side of the game is harder to appreciate and has less highs and lows however. This leads to generally less exciting games.

However we've had some truly outstanding playoff series these last few years. There almost always are two to three series that are barn-burners.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
lol no.

The game is boring af nowadays. Creativity been murdered in favour of boring the audience with defensive systems to barely squeak out a win.

Star power is also pretty damn weak tbh.

Clock

May 13, 2006
There was 10x more clutching and grabbing during the "golden age" of the 80s and early 90s.

Maybe, but honestly that's irrelevant to me. In the past two decades I've seen hockey that, regardless of reason, were much more entertaining to me than what the league is nos, and continuing to move into. Obviously subjective, but I can't think of this as anything near a golden age.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've seen a lot of posts over recent years from fans saying they rarely watch even their own team anymore, they don't like the state of the game, etc. etc. And I think those members must all be posting here because the hockey this season has been really good. A lot more of odd-man situations, a lot more clean shots getting through for goals, so much fun youth in the league and not just the high end superstar types. I hope it keeps up all season because I've really been enjoying it so far.

Last edited:

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
smaller goalie gear can't come soon enough. I need to see more athletic goaltending before I pronounce the NHL entering any sort of golden age.

The NHL also needs to go to work on the goalie pads. They're like mattresses out there. Make it round, shorten the thigh rises and make the goalies tighten the pads to the legs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Personally I am watching more hockey than ever. There are so many great players in the league right now and the games are fun to watch. I don't think we can say that for the last 5-6 years.

Honestly I think it's a great time to sit back and enjoy the ride.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden

I disagree, people like stars and want to see them shine. When everybody is the same and interchangeable it's boring. It's like that old saying, what if everybody looked the same and had the same personality? you'd have a boring world.

I think people who want a commoditized version of talent across the league are in the minority.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I know the scoring dropped off a cliff when butterfly goaltending became the norm, but since the early 2000's when everyone started using composite sticks doesn't it seem like the quality of goals is way higher?

like stepping in over the blueline and putting an 85 MPH slap shot along the ice towards the bottom corners for 3 goals per game was just not fun to watch, the highlight reels since ~2003 have been incredible every night

Lots of new talent coming into the league helps too, but to me the game has gotten to be much more visually appealing in the last 15 years than it had been before

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I know the scoring dropped off a cliff when butterfly goaltending became the norm, but since the early 2000's when everyone started using composite sticks doesn't it seem like the quality of goals is way higher?

like stepping in over the blueline and putting an 85 MPH slap shot along the ice towards the bottom corners for 3 goals per game was just not fun to watch, the highlight reels since ~2003 have been incredible every night

Lots of new talent coming into the league helps too, but to me the game has gotten to be much more visually appealing in the last 15 years than it had been before

You are right in this sense, but it takes long periods of boredom that lead to these highlight reel plays. There are some absolutely great highlights from the 90s as well though. Before that, not so much IMO.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
McDavid, Laine, Matthews, Eichel, Ekblad.

MacKinnon, Galchenyuk, Barkov, Gaudreau, etc

You still got Crosby, Kane and ovi for years, the explosion of youth has sorta hit right at the end of the previous generations prime. This imo will be a great next 10 years. Golden era, i will wait to crown it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad