Are we in the next "Golden Age" of hockey?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No if anything we're in the dark age of hockey still trying to come out, 2010-2015 is arguably the least talented era in NHL history for top end talent. We're only 1 year removed from arguably the weakest Art Ross winner in NHL history in Jamie Benn, and 5 years removed from likely the first ever forward Hart Trophy winner who will be locked out of the Hall of Fame in Corey Perry. The only other time period where players of this caliber could potentially win these awards is the early 2000s.

Perry will definitely be in the Hall.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
In terms of star players I think we're at a high point (not THE high point). The league has a really interesting mix of prime-aged superstars, HOF veterans, and emerging future greats. On a given night you're more likely than not to see at least one player worth the price of admission.

In terms of gameplay? No, not at all. The game is in pretty bad shape entertainment-wise, to the point that the main argument in its favor is that the players are just too darn good to allow each other to shine. That's a pretty poor state of affairs in a game that's designed to showcase skill and drama.

Sadly, I have to agree with this.

Entertainment is at an all-time low for me. ** There is very little offensive flow / too many goals are scored by accidental deflections.

** disclosure: I am watching mostly Kings games... They are quite difficult to watch right now. :shakehead

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
5 years removed from likely the first ever forward Hart Trophy winner who will be locked out of the Hall of Fame in Corey Perry. The only other time period where players of this caliber could potentially win these awards is the early 2000s.

Do some research before saying things like this.

1942 Tommy Anderson
1953 Al Rollins
2003 Jose Theodore

All three are locked out of the HOF and have no chance of getting in

Hmm...

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Golden age of hockey was between 1970 and 1995.

If I were to pick a 25 year period where I could watch any game live, those would be the years I chose.

That's a wide range of hockey. I think the game changed at least 3 times in that period. It probably says more about your age than it does about the hockey. :laugh:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Players are more skilled now, no doubt. Just whether it will translate into the ice.

Nhl will need to tinker with rules to make the game bettwr and not so defensive minded. First two weeks there were lots of goals and no shut outs. Past week, several shutouts and one goal loses for teams. Coaches have started to reign in their teams.

Speed and passing is great, but it needs to produce goals.

Think nhl needs to do something regarding the following:

Blocked shots. maybe restrict going down to the ice to block a shot. Can only do it standing up.

Play puck with hand. Limit players from going down to the ice to play the puck with their hand.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Seems to have been one short golden age. 2 weeks or so.

Most teams are already in full out defence defence defence mode.

Bunch of guys skate up and down the boards whacking at the puck. When it's in your zone plug up the middle. When it's in their zone pray it goes off someone plugging up the middle.

Once or twice a game someone manages to whack it around the boards enough that someone on the defensive side slips and a good scoring chance is born.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Seems to have been one short golden age. 2 weeks or so.

Most teams are already in full out defence defence defence mode.

Bunch of guys skate up and down the boards whacking at the puck. When it's in your zone plug up the middle. When it's in their zone pray it goes off someone plugging up the middle.

Once or twice a game someone manages to whack it around the boards enough that someone on the defensive side slips and a good scoring chance is born.

TRUTH, but some people love it. Their right, but my gosh how the sport has devolved into such an ugly game. You used to see beautiful plays and one odd man rush after another. Now, you go 5 games in a row without ever seeing a breakaway. And when you do get one, there is the Michelin Tire man ready to lay down and stifle your advance.:popcorn:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
That's a wide range of hockey. I think the game changed at least 3 times in that period. It probably says more about your age than it does about the hockey. :laugh:

I'm close to 40 :rolleyes:

I meant in term of star power and accomplishments and sheer entertainment, not specifically the changes in the change. You can be in an era and have the game change and still be in that era.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I can't speak for the 80s but the last decade overall has been pretty fun for me.

I'm flabberghasted that people still refer to Jamie Benn as a weak art Ross winner. How was it weak? He only finished second place last year

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I can't speak for the 80s but the last decade overall has been pretty fun for me.

I'm flabberghasted that people still refer to Jamie Benn as a weak art Ross winner. How was it weak? He only finished second place last year

Basically really old people who can't come to terms with the fact that 87 points is a dominant player today.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
For the US at least... I don't think you can say a sport is in its golden age if most days it doesn't even make it onto any multi-sport radio show. If hockey was more compelling, there'd be more coverage and more people watching... like in the 70's-early 90's.

That said, personally I'm loving where hockey's at right now. Could use a few tweaks here and there but way better than the clutch/grab era and the trap era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad