Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone follow the Sabres well enough to know if Devon Levi is expected to be their #1 from the get-go next season?

Maybe he can deliver us to salvation and shore up our goaltending situation.

We only need one and tbh we don't need a goalie to be anything more than solid behind Team Canada.

UPL had a solid season behind a pretty brutal team defence. I expect he'd be the go-to guy.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It’s not that Canada has fallen off apart from goaltending that is creating this paranoia in some Canadians, but it’s the fact that other countries, particularly the USA, have gotten so much better. There is some slight Canadian regression with respect to the 2016-2019 Draft classes, but apart from this Canada is fine as a hockey nation

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
2026 and crosby really? Guys gunna be like 50. I'd prefer they take someone else

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
2026 and crosby really? Guys gunna be like 50. I'd prefer they take someone else
His goal and point totals have gone up four years in a row.

Back-to-back 82 game full seasons. 42 goals/94 points last season and had people taking Selke nom too.

Until proven otherwise this guy isn't slowing down and if he's anything close to what he's been the last two seasons he'll be there.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
His goal and point totals have gone up four years in a row.

Back-to-back 82 game full seasons. 42 goals/94 points last season and had people taking Selke nom too.

Until proven otherwise this guy isn't slowing down and if he's anything close to what he's been the last two seasons he'll be there.
When it's time to win he's not effective anymore. Pens couldn't rely on him to beat the tanking Hawks last year. He can still get his cookies tho I guess

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
When it's time to win he's not effective anymore. Pens couldn't rely on him to beat the tanking Hawks last year. He can still get his cookies tho I guess
My last comment got deleted for using the forbidden word so I will frame it a little differently and just say that I think this is a very wrong and uninformed opinion.

Crosby absolutely carried the Pens down the stretch and had them back in the playoff picture when they had absolutely no business being there and when they looked completely dead and out at one point.

He was often times the best player on the ice for either team. He's still elite.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree, but at the same time, if you look at team USA objectively....

Hellebuyck seems to wilt in big games/elimintation style tourneys
Oettinger can be as unsettling as he can unstoppable
Demko can't seem to stay healthy
Quick, Gibson are old and about done

Swaymann is the only one I'd have the utmost confident in at this point.

Now that doesn't mean the future of American goaltending isn't bright. Dustin Wolf looks like a star in the making, but that seems to be the area where Canada may have optimism when you look at Levi, Cossa and Hofer
Big time.

I would take almost anyone else tbh, he might start crying if he’s not on the first line
That's a terrific point. Would Marner be willing to check his ego at the door?

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
It’s not that Canada has fallen off apart from goaltending that is creating this paranoia in some Canadians, but it’s the fact that other countries, particularly the USA, have gotten so much better. There is some slight Canadian regression with respect to the 2016-2019 Draft classes, but apart from this Canada is fine as a hockey nation
Canada has relied on Quebec for decades to keep us up for goaltending.

Since 1950 when Billy Smith was born, Anglo-Canada has produced only four HHOF goaltenders.

Grant Fuhr (1962)
Mike Vernon (1963)
Ed Belfour (1965)
Carey Price (1987)

The last HHOF goalie produced in Ontario was born 74 years ago. The best since then is what, Curtis Joseph and Mike Smith?

Since that time, Quebec produced Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Marc Andre-Fleury, and Jose Theodore.

When Quebec fell off, it illuminated how weak Anglo-Canada has been for 50% of hockey's history.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Based on this game literally anyone else.
But we say that about everyone. They play Skinner in Edmonton, he gets lit up and people say, "literally anyone else". They play Binnington in Europe, he gets lit up and people say, "literally anyone else". They play Hill in Vegas, he gets lit up and people say, "literally anyone else".

There is no answer and we'll just have to built a team accordingly - taking whomever is "hot" at the time. It is what it is.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Beggars can't be choosers. I wish I had an answer but... none of us do.
I think we do.

1715720848315.png

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It’s hard to say who will be the goalie for this team. Hopefully someone else that’s hasn’t emerged yet. Goaltending is Canadas biggest weakness as of today.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So...

Of all the Canadian goalies, who is the most consistent and the LEAST likely to lose us a game / melt down under pressure?

* Skinner
* Binnington
* Talbot
* Jarry
* Ingram
* Thompson
* Blackwood
* Montembeault
* MAF
* Hill
* Jake Allen
* Kuemper
* Hart
* Levi

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The only position I'm worried about Canada is in net. Canada's got more than enough talent up front and on defense to compete with the best, but I'm not really sure which goalie would be their #1 guy and me be confident going into the tournament with him in that role.

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
So...

Of all the Canadian goalies, who is the most consistent and the LEAST likely to lose us a game / melt down under pressure?

* Skinner
* Binnington
* Talbot
* Jarry
* Ingram
* Thompson
* Blackwood
* Montembeault
* MAF
* Hill
* Jake Allen
* Kuemper
* Hart
* Levi

My vote: (i'm just a guy)

Jordan "Do I look nervous?" Binnington
Adin "Stanley Cup Winner" Hill
Marc-Andre "Good Vibes" "Good for a 3rd string" Fleury
Darcy "I just won a Stanley Cup not to long ago" Kuemper
Stuart "Get your head, out of your ass," Skinner

Not sure if Levi was just bad last year, or if he has a Buffalo Sabres problem.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So...

* Skinner
* Binnington
* Talbot
* Jarry
* Ingram
* Thompson
* Blackwood
* Montembeault
* MAF
* Hill
* Jake Allen
* Kuemper
* Hart
* Levi
Right at this moment Hill, Thompson, Ingram? Hofer? Binnington (Unless we play Austria)?

Reactions: ORRFForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad