Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Byfield with the spectacular tip pass to Kopitar for the GWG in O.T. - Game 2 vs Edmonton.

Byfield was a 6'5" force, tonight.

It's insanely early, of course, but 7 of the Top 9 scorers in the NHL playoffs are Canadian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I still do, but as you’ll notice in my projection I have him on the fourth line; I don’t want him playing top offensive minutes when it counts, but I’m more than fine with him playing a defensive role
I noticed that and yes, if he comes, let him play the 4th line and the PK.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know he's OLD and he's slowed but Marchand is absolutely killing the Leafs.
How do you NOT have him on Team Canada?

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe lets get over ourselves a bit? Hockey is almost impossible to play in our country as a kid, maybe losing could help the program long term , like making the game more accessible. I always root for Canada but its not gonna be a national travesty if they lose a best on best lol
Oh look its Andrew Berkshire. Bet ya don't have hyman on your team canada eh.

Canada is hands down the best country at hockey. Our top end is in a league of its own. I do see these like all star teams everyone has and I think you're gonna be a little dissapointed. There's going to be soft players like Marner left off and there's going to be some heavy gritty guys up front and on the back end that will be on the team. It's going to be built to win hard hockey games not skills competitions and 3 on 3. For instance I am very confident Marner played himself off the team in these playoffs.

I am a little concerned that Doug Armstrong might be the GM and that Dubas is the GM of the world championship team. Armstrongs recent track record of decisions in St Louis are questionable at best. Dubas is one of if not the worst active GM in hockey. He absolutely has no clue how to build a winner.

If built correctly there's gonna be a heavy d man in the form of a McNabb, Nurse, Carlo, Manson, Oleksiak, Parayko etc that people are going to lose their minds about. But a necessary player. Same with up front there should be some heavy hard fast checkers like Bennett, Lowry, Wilson, Cirelly, Kadri, Hagel, Foligno in 4th line roles. Not a bunch but one or 2.

I think Byfield will be ready come 2026. I'd don't know if Bedards all around game will be there yet.

My best guess as of now, d core is wide open after Morrissey, Makar, Theodore Pietrangelo.

Hyman McDavid Point
Byfield Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Reinhart
Bennett Lowry Stone
Verhaeghe Bedard Johnston
Hagel Suzuki Thomas

Morrissey Makar
Theodore Pietrangelo
Weegar Dobson
McNabb Doughty
Toews Manson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer
Thompson

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
In my opinion Canada doesn't have much if any of a skill advantage at this point. I also don't think the respective U.S. and Canadian rosters will be all that physical. Canada does have more depth, but I'm not sure that will make much of a difference this go around in a best on best.
You must be American with that take. USA doesn't have anyone as good as McDavid, Mackinnon up front, not close. They don't have anyone as talented as Makar either. There's absolutely going to be a physical presence to both the teams. However lastly and most importantly Canada has way more cups. Way more winners/experience, more leadership, way more proven playoff performers, even in nets.

• Love
Reactions: ORRFForever

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

Canada is hands down the best country at hockey. Our top end is in a league of its own. I do see these like all star teams everyone has and I think you're gonna be a little dissapointed. There's going to be soft players like Marner left off and there's going to be some heavy gritty guys up front and on the back end that will be on the team. It's going to be built to win hard hockey games not skills competitions and 3 on 3. For instance I am very confident Marner played himself off the team in these playoffs.

I am a little concerned that Doug Armstrong might be the GM and that Dubas is the GM of the world championship team. Armstrongs recent track record of decisions in St Louis are questionable at best. Dubas is one of if not the worst active GM in hockey. He absolutely has no clue how to build a winner.

If built correctly there's gonna be a heavy d man in the form of a McNabb, Nurse, Carlo, Manson, Oleksiak, Parayko etc that people are going to lose their minds about. But a necessary player. Same with up front there should be some heavy hard fast checkers like Bennett, Lowry, Wilson, Cirelly, Kadri, Hagel, Foligno in 4th line roles. Not a bunch but one or 2.

I think Byfield will be ready come 2026. I'd don't know if Bedards all around game will be there yet.

My best guess as of now, d core is wide open after Morrissey, Makar, Theodore Pietrangelo.

Hyman McDavid Point
Byfield Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Reinhart
Bennett Lowry Stone
Hagel Suzuki Thomas

Morrissey Makar
Theodore Pietrangelo
Weegar Dobson
McNabb Doughty
Toews Manson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer
Thompson
Andrew Berkshire😭that killed me. I’m not against bringing players of a more physical profile, but I think they still need to be at the level of best on best competition.

Verhaeghe, Byfield, Pulock and Harley are certainly names that provide size and physicality that I would be in favour of adding, but I think players like McNabb, Lowry and Bennett are not really best on best level.

Aside from that Wyatt Johnston is quickly playing his way towards a roster spot, has been Dallas’ best player by some distance and is strong in all areas of the ice

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I got endless grief by saying, years ago, that Marner should not be on this team. Turns out I was right - maybe as a 4th line player. Marner's been even worse this year than previous years - and that's saying a LOT!

NOTE FOR TEAM CANADA : Matthews play if you throw off his timing.

Give Matthews empty space and a free skate and he will kill you. Disrupt his timing, even a little bit, and he disappears.

Do THAT!!!!

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I got endless grief by saying, years ago, that Marner should not be on this team. Turns out I was right - maybe as a 4th line player. Marner's been even worse this year than previous years - and that's saying a LOT!

NOTE FOR TEAM CANADA : Matthews play if you throw off his timing.

Give Matthews empty space and a free skate and he will kill you. Disrupt his timing, even a little bit, and he disappears.

Do THAT!!!!
I’d still have Marner on my team any day of the week. On Team Canada he doesn’t have to be “the guy”, and he can play on any line. He’s one of the absolute most talented players in the world, and you always want talent on the team.

His goal yesterday was unreal, and is apparently playing with a high ankle sprain.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I’d still have Marner on my team any day of the week. On Team Canada he doesn’t have to be “the guy”, and he can play on any line. He’s one of the absolute most talented players in the world, and you always want talent on the team.

His goal yesterday was unreal, and is apparently playing with a high ankle sprain.
Not me. When someone shows you who they are, believe them, and I've watched enough Leaf hockey to believe my eyes.

Now, if we were desperate, okay, but with so many young players coming along, why waste a spot on Marner?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Maybe lets get over ourselves a bit? Hockey is almost impossible to play in our country as a kid, maybe losing could help the program long term , like making the game more accessible. I always root for Canada but its not gonna be a national travesty if they lose a best on best lol

You sure about that? remember the 2006 Olympics? They called a summit to figure out what went wrong.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

Hyman McDavid Point
Byfield Mackinnon Barzal
Marchand Crosby Reinhart
Bennett Lowry Stone
Hagel Suzuki Thomas

Morrissey Makar
Theodore Pietrangelo
Weegar Dobson
McNabb Doughty
Toews Manson

Binnington
Hill
Hofer
Thompson
Wow just wow. If you wanna talk about bad roster construction by guys like Armstrong (has won a Stanley Cup, part of 2010 and 2014 Olympic management, Multiple World Championships and 2016 World Cup). Let’s start with your’s. Firstly, no chance that Sam Bennett, Nurse, Oleksiak, Manson or McNabb are considered. Just no lol.

Secondly, yes Marner has a horrendous track record of not showing up in big games. However, you do not leave that type of skill and speed off a roster in lieu of slow grinders on a large ice surface (looking at you ‘98 and ‘06 Olympic teams). Marner will be fine considering his centres are going to be McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon and Point (proven playoff performers). It’s about surrounding Marner-like players with complementary pieces and Canada has that. Also you don’t leave Bedard’s talent off the roster. You just don’t. He’s already a top 60 player in the NHL despite playing on the worst team as an 18-year old.

Thirdly, yes Canada needs to brings grinders, but above all else they need to bring defensively sound, low PIM, high-IQ players that excel at both ends of the ice. Throwing a bunch of slow grinders together is a recipe for failure. Especially because international ice hockey is much less physical than the NHL and penalized more.

Reactions: hui43210

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow just wow. If you wanna talk about bad roster construction by guys like Armstrong (has won a Stanley Cup, part of 2010 and 2014 Olympic management, Multiple World Championships and 2016 World Cup). Let’s start with your’s. Firstly, no chance that Sam Bennett, Nurse, Oleksiak, Manson or McNabb are considered. Just no lol.

Secondly, yes Marner has a horrendous track record of not showing up in big games. However, you do not leave that type of skill and speed off a roster in lieu of slow grinders on a large ice surface (looking at you ‘98 and ‘06 Olympic teams). Marner will be fine considering his centres are going to be McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon and Point (proven playoff performers). It’s about surrounding Marner-like players with complementary pieces and Canada has that. Also you don’t leave Bedard’s talent off the roster. You just don’t. He’s already a top 60 player in the NHL despite playing on the worst team as an 18-year old.

Thirdly, yes Canada needs to brings grinders, but above all else they need to bring defensively sound, low PIM, high-IQ players that excel at both ends of the ice. Throwing a bunch of slow grinders together is a recipe for failure. Especially because international ice hockey is much less physical than the NHL and penalized more.
Armstrong decided to let Pietrangelo move on and dismantled a championship level team. If you want him as GM when he thinks Faulk is a better fit than his best player and captain be my guest.

You quoted my post you clearly didnt even look at the actual roster I posted. But Your response is exactly what I would expect from an HFer that likely never played the sport. I actually described your exact response in the post you quoted. There will be players in specific roles, compete level and experience will matter. Sam Bennett has been an absolute star in crunch time in his career and he plays a high compete level game in a specific role. Marner is not a team player, he bails on pucks he wont do whatever it takes to win, he simply wont fit. Marner does not excel in tight checking intense hockey games.

Every team Canada that has had success has had players in specific roles maybe you should look back historically. Players like Kunitz, Draper, Doan, Maltby etc etc even back to 1987 with guys like Tocchet and Sutter. It wont be an all star team thats not what they are trying to win.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Armstrong decided to let Pietrangelo move on and dismantled a championship level team. If you want him as GM when he thinks Faulk is a better fit than his best player and captain be my guest.

You quoted my post you clearly didnt even look at the actual roster I posted. But Your response is exactly what I would expect from an HFer that likely never played the sport. I actually described your exact response in the post you quoted. There will be players in specific roles, compete level and experience will matter. Sam Bennett has been an absolute star in crunch time in his career and he plays a high compete level game in a specific role. Marner is not a team player, he bails on pucks he wont do whatever it takes to win, he simply wont fit. Marner does not excel in tight checking intense hockey games.

Every team Canada that has had success has had players in specific roles maybe you should look back historically. Players like Kunitz, Draper, Doan, Maltby etc etc even back to 1987 with guys like Tocchet and Sutter. It wont be an all star team thats not what they are trying to win.
How did Draper and Doan work for the 2006 team on a large ice surface? Wasn’t Kunitz bumped off Crosby’s 1st line after being abysmal? Had 1pt. the entire Olympics as well. Tocchet and Sutter are much better players than Sam Bennett.

You put skilled guys in positions to win. Not Lowry and Bennett. You need high-quality players to fill those roles such as Thomas, Point, Stone. Hyman and Reinhart are great puck retrieval guy to bring, but now you’re being ridiculous by putting Bennet and Lowry > Bedard and Marner??? I’ve played the game and know that you take the better hockey players over “hard-working” guys on your team. They control the play on both ends of the ice. Canada has already filled their grinder slots and they don’t need more grinders, simple as that.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I assume you are referring to McDavid, MacKinnon, and Makar. Yes, three great players and I would say three of the top five or six players in the world. That said, the U.S. can put out Matthews, a healthy Eichel, and Q. Hughes which is comparable. I think the real advantage Canada has is a winner's mindset. That may be the difference maker.
The gap between McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar and Matthews, Eichel, Q. Hughes is huge and it's not close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad