Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am actually getting a little tired of hearing how good the U.S is and you know why? they haven't won anything but kids tournaments yet. And going against the Mackinnons and Mcdavids of the world is a lot different then going against the Matthew Woods and Easton Cowans.

Their goaltending better be a lot better then ours, they very well may have to be. They will see plenty of good quality rubber against us

I get your point and agree on paper they have better options in net but as the old cliche goes................games aren't won on paper.
I agree but it's not the American posters blowing their horn. It's mostly Canadian posters posting scared - "Oh, we're in so much trouble", "We have no chance against the U.S.", "We're doomed", etc.

It does get old fast.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I agree but it's not the American posters blowing their horn. It's most Canadian posters posting scared - "Oh, we're in so much trouble", "We have no chance against the U.S." etc.

It does get old fast.
I know who is doing it..................and it's like these Canadian posters have all but given up.

Think that's a bad attitude.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I know who is doing it..................and it's like these Canadian posters have all but given up.

Think that's a bad attitude.
Meh. It is what it is and HF does NOT matter - nor does hockey.

:)

I am off to bed, JJ. Have a great Tuesday, my friend. :)

Reactions: jj cale

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't know, it is hard to say.

Jarry, Binnington, Keumper, Hart, Hill, Thompson.

We also forget Blackwood a lot. The iron is hot at the moment since he just got a shutout, but I think him being on the worst team in the NHL has made us forget him a bit. In the 2022 Olympic talk I can remember him routinely being brought up.

So basically we have NHL goalies here. Not discounting Levi or another goalie that can step up. With that team in front of us we are fine.

We certainly have a ton of puck moving defensemen too, I guess the only concern with defense is do we have enough defensively strong guys? I can't say I've seen Dobson's games enough to know how sharp he is in his own end, or physical. He's 6'4", Bouchard is 6'3" but I think it is widely acknowledged that Bouchard has a lot of defensive work to do. Is there a reason we never bring up Doughty anymore? He's still around. He's still pretty good too. Would be 36 by the time the Olympics come up, but I don't know if that's an issue or not. Wouldn't one greybeard be good on there?
Nobody should forget about Montembault either; he's doing well behind a bad team.

+ Last world championship

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
:)

Even if it was the (Harlem) Canadian Globe Trotters vs the Washington Generals, there'd still be a bunch of Canadian HF posters saying :

"I don't like our chances!!!!"
That's literally me. Not because I don't have faith in our boys, just my way of preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. It really helped soften the blow back in '06.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Also might I remind everyone, as a Canucks fan, there is a HUGE GAP b/n Hughes and Makar. The Makar effect on the blueline cannot be understated. He is different

Agree on this. Makar is the best defenseman in the NHL and I would say there is enough of a noticeable gap there as well.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
6 of the top 13 Goal Scorers in the NHL are Canadian.
7 of the Top 13 if you include Nylander.

So... What are we worried about, again?

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Will be interesting to see Canada at this year’s world championships as many players are keen on making a name for themselves for the upcoming Olympics. Bedard has confirmed that he will be attending. Hockey Canada has reached out to Crosby in case the Pens don’t make the playoffs.

Other notable names that may audition at the WC in Europe:
Mat Barzal
Bo Horvat
Noah Dobson
Robert Thomas
Nick Suzuki
Jordan Kyrou
Mason McTavish
Thomas Chabot
Adam Fantilli
Kent Johnson
Mackenzie Weegar
Jonathan Huberdeau

Would be fun to see the West Coast boys with Sid, Bedard-Crosby-Barzal.

Last edited:

Ayiluss

May 29, 2021
Will be interesting to see Canada at this year’s world championships as many players are keen on making a name for themselves for the upcoming Olympics. Bedard has confirmed that he will be attending. Hockey Canada has reached out to Crosby in case the Pens don’t make the playoffs.

Other notable names that may audition at the WC in Europe:
Mat Barzal
Bo Horvat
Noah Dobson
Robert Thomas
Nick Suzuki
Jordan Kyrou
Mason McTavish
Thomas Chabot
Adam Fantilli
Kent Johnson
Mackenzie Weegar
Jonathan Huberdeau

Would be fun to see the West Coast boys with Sid, Bedard-Crosby-Barzal.
Aren't Robert Thomas and Jordan Kyrou suspended?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
It should be noted, however, that the gap between Canada the rest of the world is much smaller compared to 1998 when Canada was by far the favorites to win gold and still ended up Finnish-ing 4th (couldn't resist).

And then there's 2006 when we bowed out in the quarters despite having also a wider gap from everyone else compared to today.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It should be noted, however, that the gap between Canada the rest of the world is much smaller compared to 1998 when Canada was by far the favorites to win gold and still ended up Finnish-ing 4th (couldn't resist).

And then there's 2006 when we bowed out in the quarters despite having also a wider gap from everyone else compared to today.
Canada was not by far the favorite in 1998, they were AT BEST co faves with the U.S that year who had just come off that big world cup win against Canada in 96.

A lot of people had the U.S as the faves going into 1998 and rightly so as it was still the same team they had in 96 and those players were still in their prime years.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
6 of the top 13 Goal Scorers in the NHL are Canadian.
7 of the Top 13 if you include Nylander.

So... What are we worried about, again?
I think, for a few weeks, there were no Canucks in the Top 10 (maybe a week) and all the doom posts started... Will Canada ever win again.lol

Funny note though...

2 of the Top 4 scorers are Russian
2 of the Top 4 scorers are Canadian

Bring back the Canada Cup baby!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think, for a few weeks, there were no Canucks in the Top 10 (maybe a week) and all the doom posts started... Will Canada ever win again.lol

Funny note though...

If only!! Sure miss that tournament.

Reactions: Czechboy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Funny note though...

Ha, ha. Amen brother. :)

Reactions: cg98

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Canada was not by far the favorite in 1998, they were AT BEST co faves with the U.S that year who had just come off that big world cup win against Canada in 96.

A lot of people had the U.S as the faves going into 1998 and rightly so as it was still the same team they had in 96 and those players were still in their prime years.
A lot of people also had Russia as favorites going into the 2010 Olympics. 2014 Olympics and 2016 World Cup were the only tournaments where no one even questioned who was going to win gold.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
A lot of people also had Russia as favorites going into the 2010 Olympics. 2014 Olympics and 2016 World Cup were the only tournaments where no one even questioned who was going to win gold.
Yes, some did indeed have Russia as the fave going into the 2010 olympics, especially Russian posters here at HF, not sure if you were around then but you should have read what they were saying here at that time in the run up to that tournament........................cockiness personified.

It was one of my most delicious days as a human being when we ran them out of the building.

Reactions: ORRFForever

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nah, Canada was paying even money in 2010. They were a monster favorite. Russia was 2nd favorite at 2 to 1. Sweden at 11 to 2 and USA at 7 to 1 to round it out.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A lot of people also had Russia as favorites going into the 2010 Olympics.
I remember seeing them as favourites on some boards and I was shocked.

LAF with 1G and 1A tonight. LOL. God bless that goofy kid.

LAF now has as many goals this season as another 1OA - who shall remain nameless. :sarcasm:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I remember seeing them as favourites on some boards and I was shocked.

LAF with 1G and 1A tonight. LOL. God bless that goofy kid.

LAF now has as many goals this season as another 1OA - who shall remain nameless. :sarcasm:
You never gave up on the kid, kudos

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes, some did indeed have Russia as the fave going into the 2010 olympics, especially Russian posters here at HF, not sure if you were around then but you should have read what they were saying here at that time in the run up to that tournament........................cockiness personified.

It was one of my most delicious days as a human being when we ran them out of the building.
Re : "you should have read what they were saying here at that time in the run up to that tournament........................cockiness personified."

Yup, I remember that, too.

Re : "It was one of my most delicious days as a human being when we ran them out of the building."

Me too. We came out like a bunch of "gorillas" (I can't remember which Russian player called us that) and we crushed them. It was also one of my best hockey memories.

He still has a ways to go but he is emerging for sure, it's been nice to watch, and more then a bit relieving.
Yes, yes, yes.

My worries is it's just a mirage but I'm enjoying it while I can.

@jj cale

I know we Canadians dump on ourselves but we REALLY are good at hockey <-- at the risk of stating the obvious. :) And being good at hockey makes me HAPPY. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad