Are We Headed in the Right Direction?

Are we headed in the right direction?

• Total voters

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
The question simply states whether we're HEADING in the right direction, which we undoubtedly are.

The real question is whether we're passengers in a 2024 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B, or in a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 32BH SE.

• Haha
Reactions: Guess and HabzSauce

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Right now, we have a bunch of prospects and a bunch of guesses as to what they'll become. The only invalid opinion is the one presuming to know how it'll turn out. So here's my guess:

If the right direction is "Better", then yes, the Habs' young roster looks like it'll become much better in the next two/three years. Our defence has high-end potential and we're building what looks like good forward depth. Goaltending... adequate to good, depending on Montembeault building on his decent season last year.

If things develop as they should, the Habs should be challenging for a playoff spot soon enough.

My concern is that will be our ceiling – a darkhorse/underdog who isn't considered one of the league's top teams. Unless our forward prospects develop into more than we expect, or unless Hughes manages to trade for a star foward, the Habs may be no further than we were a decade ago – a good team that was unable to score when they needed it most.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It takes time to tear down what his predecessor had built, and Hughes is doing this while trying to cement his own imprint on the team.

It's still to early to really have a definitive answer from the draft perspective, but from the perspective of the players he's added and the one's he's subtracted, I think he's done a fine job.

The next wave of exiles will be guys like Hoffman, Dvorak, Armia...and then Hughes will really be able to put his own stamp on this team.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Yes for me.
I watched plenty of games last year where we were exciting and competitive…injuries and of course depth limited how often we had a chance to win.
Gally has to stay healthy and be a threat to score 30 to even come close to justifying his cap hit. We still have Hoffman, Armia that need to be cleared out but it’s becoming manageable….I like Savard but he looks slow when compared to the kids on D.

Reactions: TennisMenace

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes.

They've continued to add picks, prospects and young NHLers to the team.
They continue to alleviate the contractual burden that Bergevin left them in without taking on additional term or money.
They've added MSL who is the envy of fan bases and legitimately seems to building something among NHLers that makes Montreal an intriguing place to play.
They've nailed pretty much every contract they've signed to this point.
Getting Nicholas and building out the development department.
Building an advanced analytics team.

The rebuild isn't even close to over. They started later than other teams and the other teams who finished their rebuilds and have been contenders for a long time haven't fallen off yet. Boston is about to go down and Tampa Bay has a few years left.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm on the fence.

I think more and more you don't need a great goalie, but a goalie like Osgood who can make the saves when needed and the Habs might have that in Monty,.or one of their now 5 goalie prospects, or they can acquire a decent goalie.

PP sucks, but that's a combination of Burrows and personnel.

Habs have a really good d prospect group/young dmen. However, the Habs are now at the point where other prospect pools were at where the players couldn't take the next step. Habs need Xhekaj, Guhle and/or Barron to take that next step and be even more impressive. Rookie season, expectations are lower.

Barron needs to take a step offensively.

Guhle needs to take a little step offensively, but a bigger step defensively.

Xhekaj needs to take a step defensively.

Then the Habs need Hutson and Reinbacher to succeed.

A guy like Engstrom who's progressing well is icing on the cake and can be either used to replace one of the above if they don't work out. If they do, but Engstrom is better replace, or if Engstrom is good, but not good enough can be dealt.

For offense. Both the Panthers and Knights were led by a player that wasn't drafted by them, so it is possible.

Habs don't have that stud offensive prospect in the system, but Caufield is still growing and it seems Suzuki is, too. If the Habs could get a middle of the pack pp they might be able to get 40 goals from CC and a ppg from Suzuki.

Dach has been a really nice player. Need him to stay healthy and get some solid linemates if he's going to centre his own line.

Slaf needs to take a step forward. Be healthy and get 20 goals. I don't feel that's a big ask giving he should be getting top 6 minutes and pp time.

Newhook, we'll see how he does. Would be nice if his speed can turn him into another Byron, but better.

Starting this draft the Habs need to stop looking for players who are fits for the bottom 6 and just start taking swings. If you have 7 top 6 players you now have a top 6 player on your 3rd line making your team more dangerous and deep rather than drafting a guy to play there.

If there's a player, but smaller who's doing well in the CHL, take that player. Their point total might give them the value a team wants as an extra prospect in a bigger deal.

Start drafting players, mainly forwards with size. Don't just draft players with size, but look carefully and get those players. They're available and this group is doing the same where they pass up on size for smaller players and the team will just run into the same shit where they get pushed around, or a few players have to do all that battling and they're done by tbe end of the season.

Unless the player has immense skill, or the potential for it, don't acquire anymore players sub 6'1.

The team is doing things that are looking to be real good moved, but a lot I don't really like. That's not to say my way only works, or the team's way only works. There's a bunch of ways to win the cup, but the cup usually tends to go to teams that have a number 1 d, number 1 centre, skill, health/depth and size.

So, I'm in the middle. I'm hoping we see some better things next off-season thar should paint a much clearer picture for all of us.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
If right direction implies playoffs, then yes. If cup contender then no. Suzuki is the new incarnation of koivu/plekanec. Might have different playstyles but similar production. Caufield wull be our first 40 goal scorer in 30 years but not many assists though. Will Dach be like a Getzlaf or a Handzus? Slaf be the next Rantanen or Alexander Svitov or somewherein between? Hutson the next Q Hughes or Ryan Murphy? Reinbacher Larsson/ Pietrangelo? And so forth. Too many question marks. We need some of these to hit their absolute max ceilings. Goaltending is a huge question mark too. Feel that lots of teams have better players

Reactions: ReHabs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Right direction - yes.
But - I still see no real end in sight. No goal. No realistic way we become strong contenders.

It's hard for me to picture Habs contending without an elite goalie. We went from Roy, to Theodore's hart, to Halak's magic in 2010, to Price's insane career. I honestly forget what it's like to win without that type of goalie performance, even though I know other teams have done so.

Maybe if we had elite talent in front, someone like a Bedard, or even a Matthews/MacKinnon/Hughes type player, but we don't even have anyone like that.

A lot of solid pieces. And we keep adding more. And making good trades. Etc.

So yes, I like the direction we're headed..... But will we ever be serious contenders without truly elite talent on the team?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I agree about the draft, in selecting only a goalie from the CHL even with all the picks was clearly an organizational decision to look at players that you retain the rights to for a longer period of time, allow to develop instead of needing to make a call on them after only 2 years.

Goalie from the CHL barely reach the NHL. Just draft the best goalie from Russia.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If right direction implies playoffs, then yes. If cup contender then no. Suzuki is the new incarnation of koivu/plekanec. Might have different playstyles but similar production. Caufield wull be our first 40 goal scorer in 30 years but not many assists though. Will Dach be like a Getzlaf or a Handzus? Slaf be the next Rantanen or Alexander Svitov or somewherein between? Hutson the next Q Hughes or Ryan Murphy? Reinbacher Larsson/ Pietrangelo? And so forth. Too many question marks. We need some of these to hit their absolute max ceilings. Goaltending is a huge question mark too. Feel that lots of teams have better players

I'd say we are on the right track for sure but trying to project all our guys under the age of Suzuki is difficult to do. It's a lot of guesses. All we can do is look at the development tracks and see if they continue on that path.

Dach, Slaf, Reinbacher, Roy, Hutson, Engstrom are huge wild cards but at different points in development. If these guys reach their potential, we have something really good.

I'm not worried about the goaltending. Of course we prefer to have another Price but guys like Price and Vasi are just not a dime/dozen. There are just not many goalies that can be top 10 level for 5+ years. You always see someone come along and look very good but then they fade. You can win with a good group of forwards/defense... even if you had a Monty in net.

Reactions: TopTenPlayz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Right direction - yes.
But - I still see no real end in sight. No goal. No realistic way we become strong contenders.

It's hard for me to picture Habs contending without an elite goalie. We went from Roy, to Theodore's hart, to Halak's magic in 2010, to Price's insane career. I honestly forget what it's like to win without that type of goalie performance, even though I know other teams have done so.

Maybe if we had elite talent in front, someone like a Bedard, or even a Matthews/MacKinnon/Hughes type player, but we don't even have anyone like that.

So yes, I like the direction we're headed..... But will we ever be serious contenders without truly elite talent on the team?
Our D looks rock solid going forward. That will greatly help whatever goalie we have coming up.

We needed Price’s heroics because the play was usually in our end. I don’t think that’s going o be the case. Our netminders will get support Price could’ve only dreamed of.

Up front, yeah we need more. Hopefully some of what we have pan out. But I’m not confident that any of these players are legit first liners other than CC..

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Goalie from the CHL barely reach the NHL. Just draft the best goalie from Russia.

Personally, I would keep drafting goalies and see if we hit but if we don't, we can just do what Sakic is doing with the Avs. The goalie part doesn't worry me. It's the forward/defense and special teams is what matters the most.

Reactions: jrom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The question I would ask is do we want a top heavy star line-up that has to be paid and have cap issues or do we want a complete roster that has very good depth that doesn't give us cap issues but we are still contending.

I would give the Canes just as much chance to win vs the Leafs or Oilers. Leafs and Oilers roster gives you hope/hype but major salary cap issues. A roster like the Canes over the years does not give you cap issues and you still have an equal chance to win over a span of years

The Salary Cap management of what you have is a huge part of this. Right now, I do like the Suzuki/Caufield thresholds of AAV and I do wonder if the guys coming behind them ever make more than them... over the next 6 years lets say.

Our compete window is when Suzuki is 27/28 and Reinbacher is 21/22. So I think we have 3-5 more years of rebuild/transition. Enjoy the ride and stay patient.... if you can.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The question simply states whether we're HEADING in the right direction, which we undoubtedly are.

The real question is whether we're passengers in a 2024 Entegra Coach Anthem 44B, or in a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 32BH SE.
I must be completely out of the loop. Your references went miles over my head.

• Haha
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The "no's" are quite interesting...

Not sure how anyone can look at our situation and not see quite clearly that

A- we are FAR better off than we were with MB, Ducharme & co. Running the ship

B- Hughes hasn't added any contract anchors, nor made any obvious trade blunders

If that's not heading in the right direction, I'm not sure what is :dunno:

Will we get there, or get there fast enough, that's fair to question but no matter how you cut it, less than 2yrs in it is emphatically clear that we are heading in a positive direction from where they started.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Right direction - yes.

As we now know, laying all on the goalie was not the way to go.....................when we go back to Roy, we had a great team in front of him................Theo, Halak, in his run, and then Price's career did not have that......................we used to be able to score goals, and 30 years later we are heading in that direction, but what a terrible 30 year period it has been with no offense.

Better days ahead.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
As long as we manage to add a highend F prospect next year, I think absolutely. We need one of Celebrini, Catton, Demidov or Eiserman (ideally a C though) AND/OR trade for a bluechip C prospect like Cooley or Gauthier (we could get extra firsts for guys like Matheson and Anderson + include some of our extra yound Ds like Barron or Harris in a potential trade) Then we can roll these potential lines + our insane group of D + Montembeault and Fowler who might be a solid n1 in a couple years.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Roy
Farrell-Catton*-Heineman (ideally another highend young player)
RHP-Beck-Ylonen
I would not mind getting a good F prospect but in talent acquisition mode, I would not trade our best defenceman who totally tilts the ice in our favour for just a chance at a good forward.

Besides, no one is trading a Cooley-level prospect to us for only a late first and a prospect, which is what we would probably get from trading Matheson to a contender.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Reading through this thread, I picked up on a common subtext. Many on this board don't see Suzuki as a #1 center and/or a star. Considering most of last year he was the only one with any kind of talent on his line, this surprises me. I think many are underrating him. If the team is moderately healthy, he'll surprise many doubters.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I think we have reasons to be optimistic.

I also think it's disingenuous to claim that the rebuild is over and that no other pieces will be added to this team. I don't see a way for the Habs not to pick top 10 next draft again and another important player will be added.

Obviously, every single prospect could bust and they'll need to start over, but I don't really believe that.

Reactions: TennisMenace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad