Speculation: Are We Fans Being Set Up Again With Late Season Success?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
with positives like a new coach, more winning, and players who have been sleep walking most of the season like Yakupov starting to come to life, are we being set up to thinking we have yet again turned the corner, and with a few moves in the off season, we'll be contenders only to stumble out of the gate again for yet another year and be out of the playoffs by October or November? how many years in a row has this happened? opinions?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I dunno. I know the roster isn't looking great for next year given MacT's thoughts on the D, but I think a lack of Eakins is going to do wonders for this team next season. I think we won't be absolutely out of the playoffs until January at least.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Get rid of Ference, Nikitin, Purcell and Schultz and get a real #1 goalie and I will be optimistic for next season.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Get rid of Ference, Nikitin, Purcell and Schultz and get a real #1 goalie and I will be optimistic for next season.

Schultz hasn't been that bad since being asked to play a real system. I still think he can turn it around.

The rest of your post, I agree with 100%

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
It looks like these players want to play for Nelson. Big time. I really can't help but think that this team will turn the corner....soon.

They've won some pretty tight games against some very good teams, and have stayed in the game with most of these teams as well.

The only thing we are getting set up for is a developing team getting ready to make the next step.

If that scenario changes, I'm done with this team.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
No.

I like Nelson and think a full year under him we would potentially see some significant growth but at this point you would have to be some kind of special to think the Oilers will have turned the corner for next year.

The Oilers are getting wins but in a scenario where few, if any, take them seriously.

The beginning of next year everyone fights harder cause everyone is still in it. That will be a test that our team will most likely still fail next year. But with Nelson we should be able to not be embarrassing and actually build towards being a playoff team. Maybe even as soon as 2 years from now.

Next year I don't expect much. Getting out of the bottom 5 again while being in almost every game would feel like the playoffs after how Dallas Eakins took this team from bad to omfg worse. That's a massive hole to climb out of.

I don't even think McDavid will help the Sabres enough for the hole they put themselves in.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I don't care about another high pick, whoever we get will be a useful player down the line. Getting traction is important, and playing .500 hockey is GOOD.

If we can find a true #1 goalie, and add a couple of pieces then I feel good about next season. I do hope we can keep Roy around for at least another season regardless of what happens at the draft.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I don't care about another high pick, whoever we get will be a useful player down the line. Getting traction is important, and playing .500 hockey is GOOD.

If we can find a true #1 goalie, and add a couple of pieces then I feel good about next season. I do hope we can keep Roy around for at least another season regardless of what happens at the draft.

Winning is important, no doubt. This team needs it badly. That being said, I am still hoping we win the lottery, no matter where we finish in the standings. McDavid would be a godsend here.

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
with positives like a new coach, more winning, and players who have been sleep walking most of the season like Yakupov starting to come to life, are we being set up to thinking we have yet again turned the corner, and with a few moves in the off season, we'll be contenders only to stumble out of the gate again for yet another year and be out of the playoffs by October or November? how many years in a row has this happened? opinions?

Optimism would be justified if there was a complete change in management. Absent that any fan who allows themselves to be "set up" deserves whatever disappointment they get. This team is going nowhere as long as the clowns are in charge.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I dunno. I know the roster isn't looking great for next year given MacT's thoughts on the D, but I think a lack of Eakins is going to do wonders for this team next season. I think we won't be absolutely out of the playoffs until January at least.

Disagree with your latter point. If MacT doesn't make a serious push to upgrade the defense with two top pairing d-men, or at the very least two established legitimate top 4 d-men this team will be out of it by Halloween. Again.

Before this team will be competitive in any real sense, they need at least two of the following:
A) Two top 4 d-men
B) A centerman at least as good as RNH (McEichel doesn't count)
C) A legitimate starting goaltender.

Keep in mind that even if the Oilers played as well as they have under Nelson for the entire season, they'd be ahead of only one team in the West and would be 9 points out of a playoff spot.

This team is ridiculously far away from being something other than a bottom 5 franchise in this league. And unfortunately I would be absolutely stunned if any of the above three things are addressed in any meaningful way this off-season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Define 'late season success'.

Last year we won 6 of our last 16 games.

The year before that we won 3 of our last 12 games.

So to answer the OP question of how many years in its happened, zero. Zero years in a row we've seen success to end the season.

Or maybe I'm just the weird one that measures success in results.

Jul 19, 2012
Define 'late season success'.

Last year we won 6 of our last 16 games.

The year before that we won 3 of our last 12 games.

So to answer the OP question of how many years in its happened, zero. Zero years in a row we've seen success to end the season.

Or maybe I'm just the weird one that measures success in results.

Our Corsi was up under Eakins though....:naughty:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just keep this coach.

I know we're supposed to be quiet this off-season but we could use at least one critical move

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

No...

I'm as optimistic/apologetic/not a realist as they come around these parts, and even I can see that with our current roster we might just be a .500 squad and out of the playoffs.

I expect to be full blown optimistic in September, hoping our young players will collectively pull their heads out of.... errr... toward the light after a long summer to think and grow... but without a few more vet additions, I don't expect to see the playoffs.

I DO think that if MacT continues his offseason moves at the same pace he has been, then we are getting closer:

2013: Perron, Gordon, Hendricks, Ference (nice try on one of the best available that summer...didn't work out), Scrivens

2014: Fayne, Pouliot,

This summer the challenge will be the exodus of Petry, which means we have 2 D to fill, one C and a goalie.

I expect us to get 2-3 of the 4 pieces and thus be a tweener team for the playoffs. We'll be out of it in March and hopefully will recognize it in Feb so we don't spend assets at the deadline and set the whole process back.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Most urgent need is a #1 Goaltender that can save us a game every now and then.

After that, a stable top pairing defender that eats a lot of minutes. Does not have to be a bonefied #1. A #2 or maybe even a very good #3 (Petry?) could be enough.

At center, resigning Roy could very well prove sufficient if we keep Lander. Strangely enough, our centerdepth doesn't look that bad with RNH, Roy, Lander, Gordon and a looming Draisaitl.

Just keep Nelson f#s! :help:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

When did we ever have late season success?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
they should start better than the previous two years (just have to go .400 to do that).

but it looks more like Mact is getting us ready for another year of pain, what with his comments on the D and his action with Petry. I think they've already written next year off, unless they do something to suggest otherwise.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
When did we ever have late season success?

The Oilers had as much "success" to end last season as they have so far under Nelson. The last 30 games of the season last year the Oilers were 14-13-3. Eakins included.

It's infinitely easier to play without pressure. I'm as hopeful as anyone else that Nelson is the real deal, but this isn't the first time the Oilers have been able to float around the .500 mark during this horrendous stretch of years and they always inevitably come crashing down.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Disagree with your latter point. If MacT doesn't make a serious push to upgrade the defense with two top pairing d-men, or at the very least two established legitimate top 4 d-men this team will be out of it by Halloween. Again.

Before this team will be competitive in any real sense, they need at least two of the following:
A) Two top 4 d-men
B) A centerman at least as good as RNH (McEichel doesn't count)
C) A legitimate starting goaltender.

Keep in mind that even if the Oilers played as well as they have under Nelson for the entire season, they'd be ahead of only one team in the West and would be 9 points out of a playoff spot.

This team is ridiculously far away from being something other than a bottom 5 franchise in this league. And unfortunately I would be absolutely stunned if any of the above three things are addressed in any meaningful way this off-season.

Keep in mind that this wouldn't happen in bubble, if a team like the oilers, who has bled points to the west all season, is getting wins that would mean western teams are getting less points and so that may put us ahead of more than just one team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keep in mind that this wouldn't happen in bubble, if a team like the oilers, who has bled points to the west all season, is getting wins that would mean western teams are getting less points and so that may put us ahead of more than just one team.

10-10-3 under Nelson is an 82 point pace. That is essentially a guarantee to be one of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the conference each and every year and a 10-15 point playoff miss every year. Not once since the 05/06 lockout when the shootout was introduced has a team playing at .500 point rate been anything other than a bottom 10 team in the league.

Even with the Oilers playing better hockey under Nelson they are still a bad team on pace for a bad season.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area

I still want to win the lottery and take McDavid. If we win a few more games and draft in 4-6 slots we might end up with another Gagner because this management group and amature scout crew have no idea on how to pick out players. Winning a few more games does nothing.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we need to win and while it may affect where we draft-- losing has started to settle and we are way to accepting of loses because "we get another high draft pick" this us just negative reinforcement of an unacceptable process that we have drawn to acustom to.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
we need to win and while it may affect where we draft-- losing has started to settle and we are way to accepting of loses because "we get another high draft pick" this us just negative reinforcement of an unacceptable process that we have drawn to acustom to.

If this was another draft yes I agree with winning but not when u have a generational player up for grabs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad