Are we actually a good defensive team now? or these guy's giving us no credit?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
if Sandin/Lilly keep up their solid play do you take them off the top line once Rielly is back?
I'm going to assume Muzzin likely wont be back at all. and Brodie is currently on the 3rd defensive line
Limiting Rielly’s 5on5 minutes against other teams top lines as much as possible will make us a much better team and we’re seeing that. He is very clearly the weakest defensively on our backend.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I prefer the flying under the radar approach so as little acknowledgement as possible please and thank you.
To me the goaltending has given them more confidence elsewhere. Also the injuries to our vet d has forced Lily and Sandin to play more. Everyone like Campbell they played for him but this year they finally seem very serious about the defensive side of their game. We all know they score.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I mean, our defensive results are better than the personnel who achieved them, particularly when injuries are considered.

Reactions: kb

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Eye test:

- Goaltending is helping a lot and possibly making things look a little better than the results shown.
- I've noticed an enormous change in attention to detail in the last few games (puck battles, more price passes, not giving up on plays, etc.).

I'll take it. They play like this and get this kind of goaltending moving forward and they've got as good of a chance as any team in the league to go far.

Imo this is the biggest factor to the change in D stats from the start of the year, Marner and Matthews aren't constantly bobbling simple passes under 0 pressure anymore and those breakdowns aren't turning into odd man rushes the other way. Unforced errors were killing us at the start of the year to the point that basement teams could exploit them regularly.

For everyone that says the expensive forwards are the reason we can't afford good D, when they're on their game the expensive forwards are why we don't need to play D very often.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Imo this is the biggest factor to the change in D stats from the start of the year, Marner and Matthews aren't constantly bobbling simple passes under 0 pressure anymore and those breakdowns aren't turning into odd man rushes the other way. Unforced errors were killing us at the start of the year to the point that basement teams could exploit them regularly.

For everyone that says the expensive forwards are the reason we can't afford good D, when they're on their game the expensive forwards are why we don't need to play D very often.
There are compelling albeit boring reasons why the leafs are winning. These forwards are giving up offense for defense. Everyone loves the shiny goals but that doesn't translate into wins in the long run.
Look at Draisaitl's defensive metrics over 3 years and tell me he wouldn't get benched in Toronto over it. Totally cheats for offense.
Run and gun rarely works

1670881566222.png

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
There are compelling albeit boring reasons why the leafs are winning. These forwards are giving up offense for defense. Everyone loves the shiny goals but that doesn't translate into wins in the long run.
Look at Draisaitl's defensive metrics over 3 years and tell me he wouldn't get benched in Toronto over it. Totally cheats for offense.
Run and gun rarely works

View attachment 620521

I don't think we were run and gunning too much at the start of the year, at least compared to an Edmonton or Buffalo. We just couldn't keep the puck alive in the offensive zone for whatever reason and it both failed to produce offense and created unnecessary defensive risks.

Matthews looks about as dialed in defensively while producing twice as much as he did at the start of the year. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there but to me the main factor is that his hands are back at the level we're used to and pucks that would have been an odd man rush against are now getting controlled and cycled for an extra 30 seconds.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
to be fair they had Boston at 1st and NJ at 2nd and both they said they couldnt keep it up or that it was a fake record
The whole article is tongue-in-cheek (for reference, the article). They say every single record is "not for real", except the last place Ducks. A number of the blurbs are pretty clearly joking around, e.g.:

1670883350897.png

1670883387978.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Morgan

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Given its the usual suspects that are still committing most of the boneheaded plays (Holl), I think it's safe to say the young guys haven't been too bad. They've also been bailed out a lot by the goaltending.

I kind of hope they decide to keep Sammy over Murray. Sammy is younger and a pay increase over 2 mil might be possible in the long term 5 mill range; however, I have to acknowledge Murray is pulling off back breaking, impossible saves that Sammy doesn't do as often. Of course, that's why I'm worried about Murray long term, plus a pay increase for him would have to be in the 7 mil range and he will demand a long term contract. I say let us get all we can out of Murray, but keep Sammy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Turns out the coach who 30% of folks wanted fired in October can actually implement a tight system. Forwards buying in + some solid goaltending cementing things too has led to clear results

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Turns out the coach who 30% of folks wanted fired in October can actually implement a tight system. Forwards buying in + some solid goaltending cementing things too has led to clear results
Wait....whoa whoa.......I was told he lost the room?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
They are far deeper on D, but if the opportunity presents itself why not improve? If a Schenn or someone in his ilk is available you go for it. Build a fortress for the postseason. Otherwise, it wouldn't be my primary focus at the deadline

Strong defense is a team commitment, any team with floating forwards who cherry pick don't get to see the post season. Good goaltending helps also.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Certainly taking the piss, but I can’t remember the last time the write up on the leafs in NHL’s Super 16 list there hasn’t been some bizarre caveat as to why we’re ranked top 5…

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
BAD HABITS, LESS D will come from the forwards as each regular dman returns- watch. once we are healthy we will go back to being crap- mark my words.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wait....whoa whoa.......I was told he lost the room?
Considering how they played in October, he clearly lost the room before the season even started. I can only assume that the players started ignoring the coach completely and it's working out pretty well so far. :)

• Haha
Reactions: kb

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Since 3 years leafs are 4th in expected goal against
5th in high danger shot against

Better stats than caroline, tampa, vegas who are considerated like elite defensive team...

If they was that bad, they will need to explain me how it is happenning

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Despite the Leafs team results similar at this point, it feels a lot less like Leafs are trying to outscore their mistakes and breakdowns of the past.

Sometimes when you miss some key players, then the team tightens it belt and everyone buys in to trying to reduce the impact.

As someone the believes "good teams are built from the goalie out" & "defense wins championships" the current Leafs situation and play appears to make them more Cup competitive as a result.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Despite the Leafs team results similar at this point, it feels a lot less like Leafs are trying to outscore their mistakes and breakdowns of the past.
More accurately, we are no longer forced to outscore our goalies playing poorly despite excellent team defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad