Are they load managing themselves?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
This is going to be a controversial one, but I think inside the rules that can be ok.

As we know, Marchy is the last of the old guard. Z, Krejci, Bergy, they're all gone now. In years past under our old core, the team still had some stinkers. But you didn't see too many nights where they didn't skate from the opening whistle. Last year with Bergy still around, they pushed themselves in that regular season to the very limit (and it cost them a lot). And as the most winning regular season team going on over a decade now, that's been their thing.

The issue is, and maybe this is the eyeball test: they always seemed to limp into the playoffs. I truly believe a lot of those first round exits were due to key players going into those series already hurt. Now enter this new era. And I'm not going to name which core players on the team are doing this right now, but some are deciding to skate some of these games at 80% effort. And this isn't a Bruins thing, this is a pro sports thing happening all over. So I'm not singling out any players or our team. I'm not even suggesting I have an issue with it, because I'm tired of limping into the playoffs.

Monty's recent quotes are leading me to believe he's seeing it as an effort thing too. So all I'm saying is: are they saving some gas/health for the big games? And if so, is that so bad?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If they are then fans should get a discount. Yesterday the whole team took the day off. Maybe they can just tell them only one player at a time.:sarcasm:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think they just got a little too comfortable over the break. Came out with a stinker against Calgary, then they were like oh shit we can’t play like that. So they demolished Vancouver and felt good about themselves again and went right back to being too comfortable against a reeling Washington team

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
It’s the regular season. They know it doesn’t really matter. To a man last year they all said the record and Presidents trophy doesn’t mean a thing if they don’t win. Teams are going to have lackluster games and stretches, I wouldn’t overthink it

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I made this a month ago. Didn't get much traction then.

I think now it's completely obvious that they play down to their opponents to load balance. Anyone disagree?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Check the box scores going back months now. Their worst efforts are consistently to lesser teams now. Going all our last year just burned them out. I think they don't see the point in giving 90%+ every night right now.
We shall see.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I think they are just kinda mid team that was carried above their overall roster talent by goaltending and Pastrnak. They need to add at least one serious top-6 center and playdriver for next season to be a real contender.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I think they are just kinda mid team that was carried above their overall roster talent by goaltending and Pastrnak. They need to add at least one serious top-6 center and playdriver for next season to be a real contender.

But to consistently beat or take the best teams to OT is not typically the sign of a mid team...

Neither is their overall points total.

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009

Fingers and toes crossed that that top-6 center next year is Poitras. If he comes in and makes a difference, it's a whole new team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad