OT: Are these the best goalenders that ever laced with the Oilers?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I respect your opinion on a lot of things. You are simply wrong here. Nobody would support this position and even try to name 5 cohorts of his time that were better than Fuhr.

I could see people suggesting Hextall, Billy Smith, but its a short list. Please don't say Mike Vernon. ;)

Yeah, Hextall, Smith, Pelle Lindbergh, Patrick Roy, Vanbiesbrouck, Barasso, Mike Liut, Pete Peeters all had spells in the 80's where they were definitely better than Fuhr.

Grant was a true #1 goalie but he wasnt spectacular and that's a big part of why Andy Moog stuck around for so long. He was good enough to win with the team in front of him. His stats were mediocre at best, he never played a ton of games like elite #1'
s tend to and he never had much success anywhere else. I think people remember his game with Oiler colored glasses and all the winning from that era makes people think he was better than he was.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, Hextall, Smith, Pelle Lindbergh, Patrick Roy, Vanbiesbrouck, Barasso, Mike Liut, Pete Peeters all had spells in the 80's where they were definitely better than Fuhr.

Grant was a true #1 goalie but he wasnt spectacular and that's a big part of why Andy Moog stuck around for so long. He was good enough to win with the team in front of him. His stats were mediocre at best, he never played a ton of games like elite #1'
s tend to and he never had much success anywhere else. I think people remember his game with Oiler colored glasses and all the winning from that era makes people think he was better than he was.

Roy is fair, yeah. imo you can't put Pelle Lindbergh on the list who unfortunately died young and only played 150game. Can't legitimately be on the list of the eras best with that sample size. Vanbiesbrouck? Nah, till the Florida Panthers and the dead puck era nothing more than an after thought. I don't know how you considered him better than Fuhr in the 80's which is Fuhrs best body of work.

Pete Peeters? C'mon, nothing similar to the work Fuhr got and half the time wasn't even the clear starter during his career. Never even hit 500 games played. Fuhr played more than twice as many games and played well, and as a starter through vast majority of career.

Barasso. imo short segment when he was on top of game. But not a big fan admittedly. Liut? meh. I recall the Oilers putting 10 pucks past him on more than one occasion. Also ran that had he been in Oilers division would have had far worse numbers because he really struggled against the Oilers. Maybe I didn't get a well rounded view of his play but the Oilers had his number.

Liut also famously got lit up 8-1 by the Russians in the worst drubbing ever for Team Canada. Completely undressed by sharpshooters who scouted and knew how to beat Liut. Really what big game did Liut ever play well in? I think theres a whole lot of Luongo in his body of work.

Fuhr Won cups and battled the best opposition and didso several times. Some of these others would barely get out of the starting gate under that pressure. None of them lasted as long as Fuhr in that crossfire.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Salo and Dubnyk remind me of each other in the sense that neither are goalies I ever felt comfortable going to playoff war with. Neither are big game performers and never were.

The playoff results the Oilers obtained with Cujo are night and day different than obtained with Salo.

What about the playoff results we had with Dubnyk? :sarcasm:

Heh. Playoffs. What I'd give for Scrivens to turn into vintage pre-Belarus Salo

Redbarchettayyz

Oct 30, 2009
Edmonton
No love for Kari?

ImageGen.ashx

Edit: Love that mask, though.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Fuhr was an awesome goalie, because he only cared about winning the game, and could care less about a GAA or any kind of stat like that. If the Oilers were up 4 - 0 then he may let in a goal or two and wouldn't kill himself to make the save, but if they were within a goal he would do an amazing save and be completely in the zone, making the most amazing saves.

After him I remember Ranford for his style. Comparing older style goalies to newer ones are very tough because the game was played different back then. Make new goalies today play in those pads that Fuhr played in, and I am certain by the 3rd period they would be a stand up goalie and quit flopping around with all the weight those pads had. As a result you need to compare by eras. But in their day Fuhr and RAnford were very good

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
What Cujo did to the Avalanche in 1998 will forever be engrained into my brain. I had never seen a goalie just shut the door like that before for games 5 6 and 7. It was a real shame that the economics were what they were at the time and he couldn't be retained for the long term. If Cujo was still in town in 2003, Oilers win that series against Dallas.

Payne

Aug 27, 2005
"Sure Cujo was good and all but he get his name on one of these?"
- Pokey Reddick

1990cupcelebration.jpg

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Seriously though, for all of you putting Cujo above Ranford, what's your rational?
I'm not saying you're wrong, but certainly a (deserved) Conn Smythe is tough to top, no?

Or do you consider Joseph's first round performances in 97 and 98 that good?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Seriously though, for all of you putting Cujo above Ranford, what's your rational?
I'm not saying you're wrong, but certainly a (deserved) Conn Smythe is tough to top, no?

Or do you consider Joseph's first round performances in 97 and 98 that good?

I think it has to do with our ages, most of us are either too young to have seen Ranford in his prime, or weren't even born at all. It's not meant as a disrespect, it was just timing for when we got into the game and became fans.

On my end, I respect Ranford a lot for what he did from 1990 - 1994 and being ranked as one of the best goalies on the planet at the time. By the time I came around (95-96) the game had started to pass him a bit, and Cujo arrived with a burning torch and played like a man on a mission. Watching Cujo inspired me to play net in hockey.

Last edited:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Roy is fair, yeah. imo you can't put Pelle Lindbergh on the list who unfortunately died young and only played 150game. Can't legitimately be on the list of the eras best with that sample size. Vanbiesbrouck? Nah, till the Florida Panthers and the dead puck era nothing more than an after thought. I don't know how you considered him better than Fuhr in the 80's which is Fuhrs best body of work.

Pete Peeters? C'mon, nothing similar to the work Fuhr got and half the time wasn't even the clear starter during his career. Never even hit 500 games played. Fuhr played more than twice as many games and played well, and as a starter through vast majority of career.

Barasso. imo short segment when he was on top of game. But not a big fan admittedly. Liut? meh. I recall the Oilers putting 10 pucks past him on more than one occasion. Also ran that had he been in Oilers division would have had far worse numbers because he really struggled against the Oilers. Maybe I didn't get a well rounded view of his play but the Oilers had his number.

Liut also famously got lit up 8-1 by the Russians in the worst drubbing ever for Team Canada. Completely undressed by sharpshooters who scouted and knew how to beat Liut. Really what big game did Liut ever play well in? I think theres a whole lot of Luongo in his body of work.

Fuhr Won cups and battled the best opposition and didso several times. Some of these others would barely get out of the starting gate under that pressure. None of them lasted as long as Fuhr in that crossfire.

Fuhr's forte was holding his team in when it counted. He wont win any stat battles from the era but no other was as good at coming up with a huge save when the team was playing a little off. He always allowed the team a chance to win which is exactly what you want from a Goalie!

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fuhr was consider the best money goalie when the Oilers were winning their cups . There was a reason Fuhr was on all those Canada cup team with his not so good stats to look at . Anyone who watched Fuhr knew when the game was on the line he was at his best .

Fuhr #1

CuJo was amazing on a crappy team . I remember Don Cherry calling him the best goalie in the world on coaches corner and ripped the Flyers for not signing him .

CuJo #2/3

How anyone can not include Ranford is beyond me . He was at his best the last time we won a cup . I am sure Boston regretted have Moog in net while we had Ranford .

Ranford #3/2

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Outside of Fuhr, who I knew as a child because my dad worked for his dad, Juice was my favorite goalie for the Oilers throughout history. Guy was a trooper. I also firmly believe if he was on the bench in game 1 of the Finals, the Oilers win the cup in '06. Not to mention, probably the most tragic end to a career I can think of. The loss of his child, through such a terrible accident was heartbreaking.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

And Andrew Hammond had a spell this year when he was better than any goalie in the NHL.

The only goalies in that list you could reasonably put ahead of Fuhr for much of the 80's would be Smith and Hextall.

I also do not know how you could say Fuhr was not spectacular. He was incredibly athletic and made a huge number if ridiculous saves. He also was capable of tremendous stretches when the team needed it. The game one win in the 1984 Cup finals was all Fuhr. That was perhaps the most important single game in Oiler history.

Fuhr's game totals were in part because the teams he played on often had other excellent goalies. Moog was one of the best goalies in the league in his own right. In Buffalo he played with Hasek. But his very best year was probably in 1987-88 and he managed to play 75 games in the regular season and 19 in the playoffs at the very top of his game. How many other goalies have played 94 games in an NHL season. Then in 95-96 at the age of 34 he played 79 regular season games at a very high level as well. In fact he was very good in St. Louis.

Really I have a hard time agreeing with any of what you wrote. Especially if you are quoting "numbers" out of context. Using the typical goalie stats to draw any conclusions given the way the game was played back then is really dubious at best.

For me the ranking would be

Fuhr
Ranford
Moog
Cujo

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Fuhr
Randford
Roli
Cujo

Although Cujo and Roli are interchangeable.

I always felt Roli never got the respect he should have here. Pro rated stats for his time he is outstanding. Carried us to a cup final and was just amazing to watch more often than not.

Maybe the memory of him stealing games is fresher than Cujo.

Never been a Moog fan.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Fuhr
Randford
Roli
Cujo

Although Cujo and Roli are interchangeable.

I always felt Roli never got the respect he should have here. Pro rated stats for his time he is outstanding. Carried us to a cup final and was just amazing to watch more often than not.

Maybe the memory of him stealing games is fresher than Cujo.

Never been a Moog fan.

I didn't really like Moog either, but he was a damn good goalie. Roli was excellent for the Oilers. No question.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Fuhr, Moog, Joseph, Roloson. Ranford was pretty good, but I really think those first 4 I mentioned were our best. I think the Oilers have been a little weak in goaltending over the years. Maybe it's just because we have had some many incredible forwards that the goalies just look weak in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad