OT: Are these the best goalenders that ever laced with the Oilers?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Bill Ranford
Bill+Ranford.jpg

Grant Fuhr
20225.jpg

Tommy Salo
[
csc-24sata-6.jpg

Andy Moog
moogaedmph003.jpg

Dwayne Roloson
20110510_rolisave.jpg

Curtis Joseph
CDyUhcCUsAAEizx.jpg:large

Jacques Plante
623.jpg

Dave Dryden
12741.jpg

Ron Low
4856-112Fr.jpg

...and will we ever see the likes of them again?

Our Future? The Laurs?

Laurent Brossoit
laurent-brossoit-03252014.jpg

Eetu Laurikainen
eetu-laurikainen-vartioi-bluesin-maalia-hifk-ta-vastaan.jpg

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Not trying to be rude but why is this a thread? Everyone knows those are the best goalies to ever play for us so what's the point?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Not trying to be rude but why is this a thread? Everyone knows those are the best goalies to ever play for us so what's the point?

Not rude but may be a little short-sighted.

A couple points.

- I don't think everyone knows all the goaltenders that did well for us. I think we have new fans coming in everyday, a new generation of kids that probably want to learn more of their team and ofcourse bandwagoners. Why not pay tribute once and a while to some of the best that bled copper and blue.

- Putting up this thread was also attempt to question "why has it been so hard to get a quality goaltender for the oilers when we had so many quality years with good goaltenders". Roloson last played for us in 08/09. Why hasn't there been more due diligence in attempt to solidify a very important position.

- Maybe there is a couple goaltenders that I missed that someone might want to correct me and let me know how they were really good and want to share their memories of them.

- What is the point of a forum without threads? I like goaltenders, maybe this thread will bring in like-minded posters.

- I really want to see amazing goaltender in the oilers crease again. This thread is a reminder of that and really hoping for a change of attitude of adding and growing quality net minders in Edmonton.

- Goaltenders are awesome.

Last edited:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I don't think Tommy Salo belongs in that group.

Here is the list of Edmonton Oilers goaltender list of all time.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/edmonton-oilers-goalies-career-nhl-stats.html

Salo is third on the list with 334 games played for the oilers will w/l record of 147w/128L.
He also leads all oiler goaltenders in shut-outs at 23. The next closest is Cujo with 14 SO.
I think he deserves to be up there.

What do you mean? Salo is my favourite oilers goalie.

yah:handclap:

Last edited:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Split time with Bob Essensa in 98-99, this post sums up his time here pretty well :laugh:

lol its so wierd, i have no recollection. Though those were my lean years in watching the oilers so yeah must of been a really brief stint with us.

Although he did win gold for the Unified Russian team at the 92 Olympics.

Always liked him as a kid though for some reason.

You probably watched a really game where he played awesome and it stuck with you.
Like i'm sure a bunch of kids will grow up loving scrivens for his 59 save shut out against san jose.
It would be awesome to get that feeling with a goaltender now and he remainds consistently awesome. XD

Edit: Worth watching again now that I mentioned it. XD

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I don't think Tommy Salo belongs in that group.

Cujo and Roloson will always be remembered for their playoff heroics (rightly so), but Salo's first 3 full seasons as an Oiler were the best, most consistent goaltending this team has seen since the dismantling of the dynasty. Sadly, he (and the team as a whole) just couldn't get it done in the post-season.

Nevertheless, his lack of playoff wins may put him at the back of the bus, but he still deserves to be on the list.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
JDD should make the list just for trying to fight Phaneuf and Doughty. :sarcasm:

He may not have been great, but he was a beauty.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Ron Low is another one that could be added and might fit towards the bottom of the OP. I would go:

Fuhr
Ranford
Roloson
Joseph
Moog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad