Are these pads any good? New player

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Hey, I'm looking to start playing hockey and I found somebody selling some pads really cheap. I can't find any info on them, so I was wondering if they are any good.

Brian's kevlar chest protector
Brian's pro flyte leg pads
Brian's air one fifty blocker
Brian's air hook glove - jr. but apparently fits an adult

Any advice?

Thanks

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Brian's is a good maker of Goalie equipment. I as long as it all fits and is in good working order I'll bet you will be fine with the list of stuff.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Make sure they fit you properly, poor fitting/wrong size equipment is basically useless. If the pads fit, are in passable condition, and cheap, then go for it. I see a fair amount of Brian's goalie gear at all levels, I assume it's a decent brand.

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks! Skates?

Thanks for the help. I just got the stuff that fits, unfortunately not the leg pads.

I've been hearing good things about the Graf 750 skates, and I found a pair online that are 2 years old. How long are goalie skates usually good for? They're going for 130, which I think is reasonable, but really have no idea. Anybody?

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Thanks for the help. I just got the stuff that fits, unfortunately not the leg pads.

I've been hearing good things about the Graf 750 skates, and I found a pair online that are 2 years old. How long are goalie skates usually good for? They're going for 130, which I think is reasonable, but really have no idea. Anybody?

My Goalie skates are 4 years old and I bought them a year ago. Bauer XIX Great skate.

The Graffs are a good skate and that is a great price on them again if they fit.

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Overdrive

That's kind of what I figured/was hoping to hear. I just noticed it says they have overdrive installed on them. I'm trying to find some info, but I was wondering what some opinions were.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Overdrive blades are just flat steal blades mounted to the toes of the skates that help you push from side to side in butterfly in the crease.

I don't use them and I only know 2 guys that do and they swear by them.

if they are on the skates and the skates fit you may as well give them a try. it's not to much to take them to a shop to have them removed if you don't like them. Some leagues wont let you use Overdrive blades, they can be dangerous.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Before buying any goalie equipment I would highly recommend joining the goaliestore.com website and go to their bulletin boards. You will find a ton of information there in addition to members selling used gear.

However, if possible, I cannot recommend enough to go to a store and try stuff on before you buy it.

While I'm not against getting used gear, I don't think I would get used skates. I'd rather opt for a lesser skate than the Graf and get them new, but that's just me.

Last edited:

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I've been trying to find a store where I can try some stuff on. I just need to find a time and a place to go. I've been debating about the skates for since they're used and I can't try them, and I actually found those skates on GoalieStore.com. They only got my attention because I've heard of a lot of people on here using them and they're usually 3 and a half times the price new.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Yeah, I've been trying to find a store where I can try some stuff on. I just need to find a time and a place to go. I've been debating about the skates for since they're used and I can't try them, and I actually found those skates on GoalieStore.com. They only got my attention because I've heard of a lot of people on here using them and they're usually 3 and a half times the price new.

Where do you live?

Regarding the skates, definitely go to a store to try them on and get them baked.

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks. I checked out sports etc, and the service was great, but the prices were higher than I'm looking for. Pure Hockey seems pricey, but I haven't checked them out yet. I just need stick, pants, and leg pads at this point. I haven't really heard any talk of a mouthguard. This may seem like a stupid question, but a hockey goalie would wear a mouthguard right? Also, are there any particular brands of leg pads to avoid?

Last edited:

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Thanks. I checked out sports etc, and the service was great, but the prices were higher than I'm looking for. Pure Hockey seems pricey, but I haven't checked them out yet. I just need stick, pants, and leg pads at this point. I haven't really heard any talk of a mouthguard. This may seem like a stupid question, but a hockey goalie would wear a mouthguard right? Also, are there any particular brands of leg pads to avoid?

About the mouthguard - as a skater I wear one and I don't have a cage but I am always confused as to why people with cages still dont wear one since you can still have your jaw slam, but with that...I dont quite see the need for a mouthguard when Im playing in net.

Mostly think this way just because as a goalie especially in a mens league you hopefully dont have dudes running you over in the crease so you have alot less likely of a chance from any type of impact that needs a mouthguard. I also do not think(but Im not an expert!) a normal mens league shot will be hard enough to do any damage a mouthguard can prevent unless you do some type of jaw clinching all on your own.

If you worry about any of this, then go ahead and use your regular mouthguard or pickup one. Can get a decent shock doctor one for 20$

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com

Even if you don't buy the equipment there, at least go there to try the leg pads on and then search the goaliestore website, ebay or craigs list. Some of the online retail stores that have good prices are Planet Goalie (my go to place) and Goalie Monkey.

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I tried some on to make sure I got the sizing right. They were super nice, unfortunately I don't think I can afford anything new right now. I've checked out both of those sites and I've been keeping an eye out. I've seen some pads that were really cheap, but they seem too cheap to be any good and they're brands I've never heard of. I think I found a good deal though. Simmons Ultralight 3 for 100.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Do not use a Jr. glove. Just because it fits you doesn't mean you should wear it.

Jr. gloves are built for Jr. shots. If you take a Sr. shot with it you are going to get hurt sooner or later.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Hey, I'm looking to start playing hockey and I found somebody selling some pads really cheap. I can't find any info on them, so I was wondering if they are any good.

Brian's kevlar chest protector
Brian's pro flyte leg pads
Brian's air one fifty blocker
Brian's air hook glove - jr. but apparently fits an adult

Any advice?

Thanks

If you're just starting out, look for pads with breaks on the outside. They're more flexible and easier to move in than pure butterfly pads. The Graf skates sound like a good deal, overdrives can be useful when you've got beginner's balance and usually retail for around 50 bucks installed. Put a new insole in them if you purhase. As another poster said...use Senior gloves. Brians does make excellent and very expensive equipment. I'm surprised more NHL netminders are not using it.

jjma14

Jan 4, 2011
Hm. That sucks. Wish I would have thought of that. Found a new one glove and trying to sell the one I just bought. Ended up buying some new Bauer skates, instead of skates I've never seen or tried on. Think the size was probably too big anyway. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad