Are there enough players to staff over 120 N.A. pro teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Something that hasn't got a lot of press to date is the ripple effect of the NHL using replacement players. Let's assume that the NHL continues with 30 teams, the AHL with the 30 teams that are scheduled to start next year, the ECHL with over 30, the CHL with 18 I believe and the UHL (home of the Red Wings) with a dozen or so teams.

Let's say the NHL uses 18 man rosters and the AHL etc. follow suit and carry 2 extra players. That's over 2400 players. I actually prefer this year's version of the AHL over what we have been exposed to in the NHL the last few years so I have no problem watching replacement players but will there be enough players for all teams in all leagues plus Europe? Will we see more NHL players in the minors while their replacements get the 5 star treatment in the NHL? Irony at it's all time best!

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
The Euro players that are good enough to even challenge the NHL players right now would then be replacement players themselves in the NHL, and the quality of opponents for the NHL players in leagues all over the world even, would be sad.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I question the talent level that Euro replacement players will come over from.

Odds on, December at the latest will be when either the PA crumbles, or an agreement is made and all replacements are sent packing(which could still happen if impass happens).

That means if a player left Europe to play here, he would be out of a job here, and possibly out of a job there.

So if you are a rare player making 500k-2 million in Europe, would you risk your roster spot and job there to come make likely less here for what would be a short period of time?

Only Euro's I see crossing are the ones who make almost nothing in Europe, or think they have an honest shot of sticking with a team past the lockout/strike.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Europeans won't be part of a replacement player league. During a work stoppage only citizens of that country can play for these teams, especially ones who were not in the NHL in the first place.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
nyr7andcounting said:
Europeans won't be part of a replacement player league. During a work stoppage only citizens of that country can play for these teams, especially ones who were not in the NHL in the first place.

Thats debatable still..

Some say they can

Some say they cannot...

We won't know untill they try..

:dunno:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Drury_Sakic said:
Thats debatable still..

Some say they can

Some say they cannot...

We won't know untill they try..

:dunno:

I haven't heard anyone say it's possible other than 1 very uninformed owner and those who are so far on the owners side that they won't take the replacement situation for what it really is. Europeans are out unless laws are changed, which is very unlikely.

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
nyr7andcounting said:
I haven't heard anyone say it's possible other than 1 very uninformed owner and those who are so far on the owners side that they won't take the replacement situation for what it really is. Europeans are out unless laws are changed, which is very unlikely.

ahhh, are you a lawyer? because that "very uninformed" owner got that information from his own team of legal experts on the subject .... Im not sure what your credentials are but I would take the word of a team of legal experts over somebody on a message board any day.

Owners dont get that way by being "very uninformed".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad