Are there any Untouchables?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Not even this, though I'd be tempted. Sid would not fit the Bruins any more than the last three snipers the Bruins have had. Boston is always looking for the next Neely, not the next Crosby.

I see this attitude a lot. No one expected Seguin or Kessel to be Neely. Gimme a break. Winning puck battles, or at the very least, putting a legitimate effort forth; is not somehow exclusive to the Bruins system. Nor is being willing to pay the price to make the big play.

Good example -- Sidney Crosby.

Scores em as pretty as they come off the rush, and scores them down and dirty battling in front of the net when he has to. Never, ever gives up on a play.

Whines, pulls crap after whistles then whines even more a/b the aftermath? Yeah, all day. Although if Seguin had any of his tenacity, he's still here.

spokedB

Aug 2, 2005
western Maine
I see this attitude a lot. No one expected Seguin or Kessel to be Neely. Gimme a break. Winning puck battles, or at the very least, putting a legitimate effort forth; is not somehow exclusive to the Bruins system. Nor is being willing to pay the price to make the big play.

I didn't say that, but <shrug>

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Good example -- Sidney Crosby.

Scores em as pretty as they come off the rush, and scores them down and dirty battling in front of the net when he has to. Never, ever gives up on a play.

Whines, pulls crap after whistles then whines even more a/b the aftermath? Yeah, all day. Although if Seguin had any of his tenacity, he's still here.

Absolutely. The guy is good-great all over the ice.

David Krejci*

The only player on Earth that I would trade Bergeron for is Toews. Kopitar is close, but I'd still take Bergy over him.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I love Bergeron as much as the next guy, but if you had a chance to do a 1 for 1 you take Crosby 100 times out of 100.

There are not many guys I would trade Bergeron for but Crosby is on the top of the list.

They both have 1 cup each.

Playoff stats (same amount games who would have thunk)

Crosby
95 games
41 goals
73 assists
114 points

Bergeron
95 games
23 goals
43 assists
66 points

I know points aren't everything but Crosby almost doubles Bergeron in goals and assists.

You can't compare Sid to a defensive forward. Bergeron's game is not offense, now does he get points yes but still.

RaybCamn

Oct 16, 2010
Could you Imagine Sid center a line wit Lucic and Louie holy crap no one pick on Sid. That line would be epic.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
You can't compare Sid to a defensive forward. Bergeron's game is not offense, now does he get points yes but still.

Why not, they are both forwards.

I am just stating that there are very, very, very few guys I would trade Bergeron for.

Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, that may be it.

Would take a look at Getzlaf, Kopitar, Malkin, Ovechkin.

neelysbiggestfan

Jul 9, 2004
OK I love Bergy more than just about everybody - BUT
AM i reading these posts correctly?

Wouldn't trade him for Crosby or Malkin?

OutspokenMinority*

yes. Patrice Bergeron is as untouchable as any player ever is. there is just never enough reason to trade a player like that unless, like with a Bourque scenario, he decides he wants a last chance at a Cup. but you never trade that sort of player otherwise. any upgrade you get simply isn't worth the organizational sense of "what exactly are you looking for in a player"?

Chara I'd trade in a heartbeat at this point. this past year's playoffs were an embarrassment. in fact, several of his recent playoff performances were bad. Hamilton, Krejci, Looch I'd trade for an overpay. The rest I'd trade even if it was only to shake things up. the honeymoon is over.

all this talk about boychuk at $6 million per year has me howling. if any team pays him that much, their GM will be fired in a year. for all he does well, he handles the puck like a grenade and shoots AT shin pads on a regular basis. he lacks some hockey IQ, although defensively he's very solid. like $4 million absolute ceiling kind of solid.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I didn't say that, but <shrug>

I stand chastised. I forgot I wasn't one of the annointed.

Ok, I don't know what that means, but whatever. Didn't mean to single you out. But you see that attitude around here, and even from some of the best posters around. As if the B's don't recognize when they have talent on their hands. Then just cast them off b/c they aren't Bergeron or a power forward. It's a bit more complicated than that, don't you think?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ok, I don't know what that means, but whatever. Didn't mean to single you out. But you see that attitude around here, and even from some of the best posters around. As if the B's don't recognize when they have talent on their hands. Then just cast them off b/c they aren't Bergeron or a power forward. It's a bit more complicated than that, don't you think?

Rule number 1-Never fall in love with a player not named Bobby Orr. Remember that a lot of the posters are youngsters,prone to idolize.

Furry89

Nov 17, 2013
Bergy is a playoff guy. Sid a regular season player. Bergy wins when it counts.

Crosby has 2 Stanley Cup appearances and 1 ring. Bergeron has 2 Stanley Cup appearances and 1 ring. Crosby has 3 Conference Finals appearances and Bergeron has 2, I don't get where the Sid is a regular season guy but Bergeron wins when it counts argument comes from. Looks pretty even to me, and thats not including post season point totals, which heavily favor Crosby.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Hamilton and Bergeron are about the only untouchables for me. Bergeron might be a bit of a sentimental pick for that.

I don't think you trade Hamilton unless it is for Pietrangelo or Doughty.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I just realized this is 'about us' when I listed Chara, Bergeron, and Rask I was doing Chiarelli. Me only Bergeron and Krejci

Totally agree with you Bergeron and Krejci are my two untouchables. Dougie might become one. Chara is too old to be considered (even if I'd like him to retire as a Bruins) and Rask is a goalie, the easiest position to replace for a team with the Bruins defensive structure. Lucic is an untouchable till he has fire in his eyes, he has skill, but not enough to earn his 6M without being feared on the ice and those kind of player tends to become less agressive when aging (like we all do).

Edit: Of course I would trade Bergy or Krechy strait up for Malkin/Crosby ... but since we're not living in fantasy land and we all know it won't happen ... Untouchable to me, means with a realistic deal, for a comparable player or for a group of lesser asset and I don't trade those two guys for that kind of deal.

Last edited:

HanktheHammer*

I believe that NO player is truly "untouchable" once Wayne Gretzky was traded for scrubs and cash. If I'm a GM of an NHL team, every player on the roster is available for the right offer.

And I'd have NO problem dealing with a divisional rival if it fits my needs. Most GM are afraid to deal a player within the conference in fear that said player will come back to haunt them. That very fear is why the Western Conference is stronger because the Eastern teams trade it best players to the West and get nothing back in return. See the Joe Thornton trade.

David Krejci*

For people bringing up Crosby's point totals, he's a fraud. He absolutely feasts on the bubble teams in the first round or two, disappears when it gets tough or the Penguins are down. I'd love to see his point totals in games where the Penguins are facing elimination or late in series.

Same with Marleau/Thornton. Crosby's not as bad as them, though. They are atrocious. If you just look on the surface, their point totals look pretty good. But if you actually watch the games, you know they are absolutely nowhere to be found when the chips are down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad