Are there any problems with Tampa?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I mean, you remember that drama with Drouin, alright, most people blamed Jonathan. But then that story with Kucherov happened. And now about Gusev. People say, he's in LV right now inspecting the city is it a good place to live and play. And he never bothered to come to see Tampa. Or they never invited him to the city to show, that they actually needed him.

And now Yzerman says, he traded Gusev, because he didn't know, whether he was going to come to the NHL or not. Kinda weird.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The Drouin thing, the kid made a mistake, no big deal. Also the competition on wings was stiff and Tampa wanted to get a young D for him. That's win win, he's going to be great for Montreal and Tampa has the personnel (and not psychotic fanbase) to properly insulate and develop Serge.

Kucherov carried that team all year, I played hockey as a kid and watch it; just because it's 'not okay' to point out that some guys are dogging it doesn't make it true. If anybody has the right to say those things, it's Kucherov (and Eichel to a lesser extent).

Gusev possibly not coming over has been a risk since the formation of the KHL. Why leave your comfort zone, culture, family and language behind when you can get paid just as much at home? Not my view on life, but I wouldn't hold it against someone if it was theirs.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The Drouin thing, the kid made a mistake, no big deal. Also the competition on wings was stiff and Tampa wanted to get a young D for him. That's win win, he's going to be great for Montreal and Tampa has the personnel (and not psychotic fanbase) to properly insulate and develop Serge.

Kucherov carried that team all year, I played hockey as a kid and watch it; just because it's 'not okay' to point out that some guys are dogging it doesn't make it true. If anybody has the right to say those things, it's Kucherov (and Eichel to a lesser extent).

Gusev possibly not coming over has been a risk since the formation of the KHL. Why leave your comfort zone, culture, family and language behind when you can get paid just as much at home? Not my view on life, but I wouldn't hold it against someone if it was theirs.

Yeah, that's why he's inspecting LV right now...

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Don't forget the Martin St. Louis fiasco.

Cooper and Yzerman seem kind of arrogant and don't do a good job of handling players.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008

Cooper and Yzerman seem kind of arrogant and don't do a good job of handling players.

Not at the same level, but Stamkos has had his share of battles when it came to his position and ice time.

I'd agree with your assessment re: Cooper and Yzerman.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If Kucherov wants a coach that holds teammates accountable as well as a hard working team we'd be happy to have him in Carolina ☺.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I like Gusev as much as the next TBL fan but he's a tiny 25 year old that's still under contract in the KHL. He is not the type of player that you should base your opinion of an organization on.

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
Both seem like guys who expect everyone to put the team before anything else, and they have no tolerance for those who don't.

I know we haven't heard about what guys like Kucherov, Hedman and Stamkos say about being underpaid, but Yzerman must tell them that they either take less money or they are being shipped out. And now he can point to Drouin as an example.

On the ice, Cooper doesn't seem to have respect for player preference, which is good in some ways, but can be bad for consistency and confidence.

All of that may be good for building a contender, but using all the leverage you can against players while suppressing their wants is terrible for building a good relationship. In a business where the "lower employees" have a lot of influence, that is a good way to set up a mutiny if things on or off the ice take a turn for the worst.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
How ironic coming from a Habs fan :laugh:

Yes...Habs fans have seen arrogant coaches and managers destroy a cup winning team in the 1990s and trade even hall of famers out of town. The worst era of the team's history because clown management got into fights with players like Chelios and Roy then traded them.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012

It never ever came out what Martys true reason where to get himself traded. He apperently is still regulary in Tampa and alright with the guys within the team. There is also a reason HE is the first guy hanging in the rafters in Amalie Arena.

Same goes for Vinny, eventhough he was bought out.

Not at the same level, but Stamkos has had his share of battles when it came to his position and ice time.

I'd agree with your assessment re: Cooper and Yzerman.

I really hope this thing will die at some point. This is a rumour made up by Toronto media. It was NEVER ever discussed in Tampa, other than Stamoks saying it is not true.

Tampa is a team that holds infos very tight to their chest. To all those rumours and bad things that are apparently happening in Tampa is any confirmation from the teams side that it is true or which were the reasons. Neither did the players involved really ever told the truth about what is happening behind the scenes. Everything we know is speculation from media guys looking for clicking baight.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
If anyone was arrogant in that situation it was St. Louis.

Sure he was, most players are arrogant divas who have been worshipped as local gods from the age of about 10 and need to be managed in a particular way. You can't just go and trade them though everytime they have a diva moment.

The blame that goes to Yzerman over that was because it was an avoidable situation. It was egotistical and arrogant of him to stay on and all the trouble that followed is partially on him because of it. He should have resigned from his position at team Canada when to took on the job as Lightning GM, or at the very least as soon as he saw the St. Louis thing was going to be a problem. That whole fiasco was avoidable.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I like Gusev as much as the next TBL fan but he's a tiny 25 year old that's still under contract in the KHL. He is not the type of player that you should base your opinion of an organization on.

I mean, you can explain any of these stories separately. But all of them combined, isn't it too many for a good situation inside the team?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
1. Cap Issues
2. Injury Issues

I believe that is it

WE DON"T ****ING HAVE CAP ISSUES!

23 mil of space to sign Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Dotchin, Dumont, and Sustr. (I'll assume Sustr walks)

Johnson 5.25, Palat 5.25, Gourde 1, Dotchin 1.5, Dumont .9

that gives us around 9 million of cap to work with. (maybe less of these guys cost extra)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
WE DON"T ****ING HAVE CAP ISSUES!

23 mil of space to sign Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Dotchin, Dumont, and Sustr. (I'll assume Sustr walks)

Johnson 5.25, Palat 5.25, Gourde 1, Dotchin 1.5, Dumont .9

that gives us around 9 million of cap to work with. (maybe less of these guys cost extra)

You guys have dumped Garrison and Drouin within a week, so yes there were cap issues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad