Are there any over-50 leagues anywhere?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
In the US? I wouldn't mind knocking a puck around again. I played in an over-28 "no checking" league in my early 40's and it was pretty rough. I have to be functional at my job the following morning! Maybe by 50 everyone has calmed down a bit...:laugh:

Sitka

Nov 29, 2010
There is in my small Canadian town. There probably is in yours, but don't expect it to be any gentler. I always figure the rule of thumb is that the more pre-1980s hockey you watched on TV, the chippier your game is.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
In the US? I wouldn't mind knocking a puck around again. I played in an over-28 "no checking" league in my early 40's and it was pretty rough. I have to be functional at my job the following morning! Maybe by 50 everyone has calmed down a bit...:laugh:

There are a couple here in Las Vegas.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
The over-35 league here is pretty gentle. No scoresheets, no records, show up and play. Almost no-contact. Definitely an older crowd, as most of the 35-45 guys play in the regular no-check leagues (with scoring, and a good bit of contact).

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The over-35 league here is pretty gentle. No scoresheets, no records, show up and play. Almost no-contact. Definitely an older crowd, as most of the 35-45 guys play in the regular no-check leagues (with scoring, and a good bit of contact).
Where is this? State? Country?

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
There is in my small Canadian town. There probably is in yours, but don't expect it to be any gentler. I always figure the rule of thumb is that the more pre-1980s hockey you watched on TV, the chippier your game is.

To true! There is a over 50 shinny game that goes on where I skate in the AM and I have seen gloves come off, and elbows all over the place.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID

If you are in a large enough metro area you should be able to find something that will work for you. I know there are lots of over 50 tournament teams in the U.S. and Canada. The Snoopy Tournament in CA. every year has a 70+ division and those guys can still play. I would doubt that the chippiness is any less but you shouldn't see too many full collisions. I've played with ex-pros that are in their 60's and one in his 70's and they would slash your gloves off you before you could blink because they couldn't catch you by skating anymore. They come from a time of different hockey and that's how they have always played.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
There are 50+ and 60+ divisions where I play, the Laurel Gardens Ice House in Maryland. I'm too young to participate by a couple decades, so I can't testify as to how rough it gets.

Briere Up There*

In eastern Massachusetts there are a ton of over 40 leagues. Some of the guys I play pick up with participate in over 50 tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad