Are the Sharks becoming the Cubs?

jurisdoctor

Sep 4, 2011
A Cubs fan mentioned to me the other day that the Sharks are quickly becoming hockey's version of the Cubbies. I told him, hey, at least the Cubs have won a couple of World Series. Does anyone agree with this? And if so, what are your thoughts about the Sharks being the "loveable losers" in hockey as the Cubs are with baseball? Might not be a bad thing since the Cubs have a large fanbase due to the fact that they feel sorry for them than anything else? Anyone starting to believe there's a curse?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is nothing lovable about the losing the Sharks are doing. The Cubs have an iconic stadium and history. Sharks are a very long way from that.

Last edited:

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
The Blues are more similar to the cubs. Give it 20+ years of no Stanley cup then we can say the Sharks are the Cubs haha...

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I don't really see the parallel at all. But I forgot the Cubs were even a team that plays sports.

Does Ryne Sandberg still play 2nd base?

jurisdoctor

Sep 4, 2011
I didn't think it was that absurd really. As they say, the truth hurts. I think he made the comment from the rationale that if there was one team that went up 3-0 in a 7 game series only to lose the next 4 and lose the series, no one would've been surprised had it been the Cubs. Sadly enough, the Sharks are arguably becoming "that" team in the NHL.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I didn't think it was that absurd really. As they say, the truth hurts. I think he made the comment from the rationale that if there was one team that went up 3-0 in a 7 game series only to lose the next 4 and lose the series, no one would've been surprised had it been the Cubs. Sadly enough, the Sharks are arguably becoming "that" team in the NHL.

St. Louis and Vancouver still have it worse. Granted they have both made Cup finals but they have been around a long time and still haven't won. Capitals are pretty bad too. Sharks just have a specific very crushing way of losing series.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

I do. The last WS the cubs won was 1908, 116 years ago. The Sharks have been around 23 years. The difference in years is 5 times longer than the Sharks have been in existence. You can't quickly become the Cubs when you've been around that short a period of time. The "truth hurting" is simply your creation of a narrative you want to push. Think about all the other teams in sports that have lost 4 straight after going up 3-0. It's more than you realise. This is just the newest one.

TeamTeal8

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Nope. The Cubs actually have been to the World Series and won them. The Sharks are lower than the Cubs. They are more like the Mariners or the Expos/Nationals, both have never been to a World Series.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Nope. The Cubs actually have been to the World Series and won them. The Sharks are lower than the Cubs. They are more like the Mariners or the Expos/Nationals, both have never been to a World Series.

The MLB robbed the Expo's in 1994. They might have gone to the WS.

Mariners is spot on though.Griff Jr., Jay Buhner, Randy Johnson, A-Roid. Still no WS? Sad. 1997 and what ever year they had 100+ wins and lost in the 1st round was like text book Shorks.

jurisdoctor

Sep 4, 2011
I do. The last WS the cubs won was 1908, 116 years ago. The Sharks have been around 23 years. The difference in years is 5 times longer than the Sharks have been in existence. You can't quickly become the Cubs when you've been around that short a period of time. The "truth hurting" is simply your creation of a narrative you want to push. Think about all the other teams in sports that have lost 4 straight after going up 3-0. It's more than you realise. This is just the newest one.

The narrative I want to push? And what narrative is that? I didn't say I completely agreed with him, although I don't think the comparison is within the realm of absurdity. I just wanted to pose the question and see what other people thought of the comparison and whether it was a fair one.

As for "all the other teams in sports have have lost 4 straight after going up 3-0", so the Sharks are the 5th team in NHL history to have accomplished that feat (if you can call it that), what others can you name?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The MLB robbed the Expo's in 1994. They might have gone to the WS.

Mariners is spot on though.Griff Jr., Jay Buhner, Randy Johnson, A-Roid. Still no WS? Sad. 1997 and what ever year they had 100+ wins and lost in the 1st round was like text book Shorks.

2001 they went 116-46

Beat Indians in 5 games in ALDS (1st sign of trouble ,, Indians weren't that good) and then lost in 5 games to Yankees

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Not remotely.

The Sharks haven't been in existence long enough for that kind of comparison. Not to mention, the Cubs aren't a perennial playoff team...

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Not remotely.

The Sharks haven't been in existence long enough for that kind of comparison. Not to mention, the Cubs aren't a perennial playoff team...

The Sharks are a very good team, just not good enough to win.

The Cubs have been a perennially bad team. Losers who almost never even come close to winning. Which is a major part of why they are called "lovable losers." There is almost no animosity towards them because they haven't competed with or beaten anybody for anything important in almost 70 years.

The Sharks have been to the playoffs 15 times in the past 16 years. The Cubs have been to the playoffs 12 times in the last century. The Cubs have more than 8 decades of greater futility (REAL futility....not just failing to win championships) than the Sharks do. The comparison is not even close to valid.

Even just within the ranks of hockey, the Leafs, Blues, Sabres, Capitals, and Coyotes are far closer to Cub-status than the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad