Are the Sabres a good AHL team?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
In their current state, after the trades and with the injuries, they are barely an NHL team. This much is certain. But would they actually be an higher tier AHL team? Or would they just be "good"? Or would they even be that?

Disclaimer: I may just be frustrated because this rebuild has put me at a severe disadvantage when I play my random little games on NHL14 online because I refuse to play as a team other than the Sabres... and random internet dicks seem to insist on playing as one of Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston or St. Louis. Guess they just have a lot of fans that play NHL14 on the PS3? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

With injuries? yes.

Without injuries they're a real bad NHL team

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Don't kid yourself, they'd dominate the AHL. Guys like Ennis and Hodgson were PPG players back when they were still in the AHL (not long ago for Cody). I'm betting Ennis in particular would put up over a PPG. Foligno put up 27 points in 33 games last year. Larsson is a PPG player in the AHL this year. Deslauriers has 18 goals in 60 games. Ehrhoff and Myers would crush the league.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Don't kid yourself, they'd dominate the AHL. Guys like Ennis and Hodgson were PPG players back when they were still in the AHL (not long ago for Cody). I'm betting Ennis in particular would put up over a PPG. Foligno put up 27 points in 33 games last year. Larsson is a PPG player in the AHL this year. Deslauriers has 18 goals in 60 games. Ehrhoff and Myers would crush the league.

This. Massive Calder Cup Favourites lol.

Karate Johnson*

I think so.

If you took a healthy Sabres squad I think they would dominate the AHL.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
A healthy sabres squad would be a bad NHL team...I won't comment on the AHL part more than yes they'd be heavy favorites to win it all easily.

Gotta remember that with all these injuries and young players still not up with the club (Stewart, Girgs, Grigs, Zadorov, Risto, Pysyk, Larsson, Myers etc etc) they actually look watchable when these guys are in there..and not to mention, will steal a couple games here and there

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
There have been at least a few games after the trade deadline where the Sabres have iced an AHL-tier lineup due to injuries (guys like Foligno or Leino on the 1st line, not a single legit top6 forward, etc.), but they would still be Calder Cup favorites in the long run.

I think it would make more sense to compare the Sabres to some teams in the top Euro leagues or the KHL, where they would probably fight for a play-off spot.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ridiculous question. They would destroy the AHL. Guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Myers, Conacher, Ehrhoff etc. would dominate AHL players. And earlier in the season, Moulson and Vanek. They would barely lose any games.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I think the Sabres have proven their claim to be a contender in the AHL. Anything can happen in the PO so yeah they have their chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad