Are the Rangers the worst President's Trophy winners of the Cap era?

Are the 2024 Rangers the worst President's Trophy winners since the Cap era began?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Over the the last three years, the Rangers have the 5th most wins in the NHL.

@eyjee always told me that after awhile, you are what the wins say you are.

This lends credence to the notion that the internal numbers are working.

It's not like the Lundqvist era where the Rangers were one of the last two teams to have an analytics department. They basically have their own analytics company now.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Quick has won 3 Stanley Cups. I don't think there will be much hesitation on the Rangers' part in that case.
True… like a a decade ago though. I’d imagine it’ll be some pretty intense converations on whether to replace a guy who very recently was viewed as the best in the world

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I look at the Rangers and I don't see a team that really deserves to be in the position they're at. I see the gap in CORSI between them and Carolina is momentous. Carolina definitely should have won the President's Trophy, but NYR is a very luck-based, hope-for-a-penalty team and it got them where they are.

Honestly maybe the Rangers are a bubble playoff team in a Deserve-To-Win factored scenario, but you see so many teams with excellent analytics like the Devils for example that should be in but got unlucky with bad goaltending. When you look at Fenwick, GF%, etc. it paints a really scary story if you're a Rangers fan.

The only team I think that might be worse, SINCE THE CAP ERA, would be the 2009 San Jose Sharks. But I wanna know your opinions. Is the Rangers lucky/how big will an upset of them in Round 1 be compared to Boston last year.
This is what you decided to make as your very first post?

Fans like you give the rest of us a bad name.

Also, take notice while all the Ranger fans are tearing you a new one, not one other Devil fan has posted in this thread. Until me, right now on page 4.

Know when to sit out, zero reason to make a post like this knowing full well the Devils missed the playoffs.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I find it sad but also predictable how people are attacking the devils in this post. We have the brightest future of any team in the league and a brighter history, pretty much any team would kill for.
1713476958543.png

Reactions: NyQuil

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is what you decided to make as your very first post?

Fans like you give the rest of us a bad name.

Also, take notice while all the Ranger fans are tearing you a new one, not one other Devil fan has posted in this thread. Until me, right now on page 4.

Know when to sit out, zero reason to make a post like this knowing full well the Devils missed the playoffs.
We all have that 1 guy in our fanbase that makes everyone cringe when they post.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I find it sad but also predictable how people are attacking the devils in this post. We have the brightest future of any team in the league
the consensus is the devils have a pool that is in the bottom half of the league:

The NHL’s Best Farm Systems Ranked - 2023-24 Midseason Update - The Hockey Writers Latest News, Analysis & More

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I look at the Rangers and I don't see a team that really deserves to be in the position they're at. I see the gap in CORSI between them and Carolina is momentous. Carolina definitely should have won the President's Trophy, but NYR is a very luck-based, hope-for-a-penalty team and it got them where they are.

Honestly maybe the Rangers are a bubble playoff team in a Deserve-To-Win factored scenario, but you see so many teams with excellent analytics like the Devils for example that should be in but got unlucky with bad goaltending. When you look at Fenwick, GF%, etc. it paints a really scary story if you're a Rangers fan.

The only team I think that might be worse, SINCE THE CAP ERA, would be the 2009 San Jose Sharks. But I wanna know your opinions. Is the Rangers lucky/how big will an upset of them in Round 1 be compared to Boston last year.
The first half of the year CAR's goaltending was bottom 10% of the league. When your goalie can't make a save - Corsi doesn't mean much. They dug themselves too deep a hole to track down the Rangers.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's probably also the "we weren't expected to be here" approach taking over for you. It's like the anxiety of the first round matchup against NYR is lessened by a "whatever happens" approach.

I'm not expecting us to sweep the caps. We have flaws. They have flaws. It should be a close series for the most part.
Exactly right. Honestly just happy that Ovi, Carlson, and Oshie get another chance to play playoff hockey since it certainly wasn’t guaranteed after the way last season went. I have zero expectations for the Caps to make a run so just getting to watch another four games (at least) feels great. Still want them to go all the way obviously but the feeling of impending doom is not there like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad