• No

Votes: 26 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
So? The recent success was with many of these same players, including Crosby, Kessel, Malkin, etc.

Not like it was from historical data in 1992-96.

Their are a lot of different players on this team then last years team.

Its not the same as the 2015-2016 years where it was basically the same team besides Lovejoy.

I'm basing my opinion on the 44 games i'v seen this year.

If you feel like the last few years will have an effect how the pens finish this year that's fine, that's your opinion, IMO the last few years doesn't mean anything because the team is very different.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
It takes around 95 points to make the playoffs.

For the pens to hit 95 points they would have to win 24 of their final 38 games.

If you think the pens can go 24 14 the rest of the way your basing your opinion on what the pens did the last 2 years.

Their is nothing the pens have done this year that makes you think the pens are capable of going on that type of run.

If they replicate their performance from the first half of the season exactly, they'll end up at 19-16-3 for 88 points. They'll need to make up 7 points, 22-12-4 would get it done. It's not really a stretch

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
xxx____2016___2017___2018
OCT___7-4-0___6-2-1___7-5-1
NOV___6-4-2___7-5-2___6-5-2
DEC___5-7-2___12-1-2___6-8-0
JAN___6-2-3___6-5-0___3-1-0
FEB___8-4-1___7-2-3
MAR__12-4-0___9-4-3
APR___4-1-0___3-2-0
TOT_48-26-8__50-21-11__22-19-3

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
the core will take it personal and will do what it take to get it done, so in my opinion, only a major injury to Crosby or Malkin would cause problem.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If they replicate their performance from the first half of the season exactly, they'll end up at 19-16-3 for 88 points. They'll need to make up 7 points, 22-12-4 would get it done. It's not really a stretch

Yeah, its not impossible or anything.

I just don't think their good enough to do it.

Remember the pens picked up 5 wins in the first half against Buffalo and Arizona.

They don't have anymore games against them in the 2nd half, that makes a big difference.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
As long as Murray gets back to form, yes.

Let's be serious, despite their struggles the Pens are without a doubt better than NYI, Carolina, Philly, NJD. And I have a hard time believing the Pens will finish with less points than the Rangers.

I don't think I'm being a homer, I believe the struggles are an anomaly that they'll get over.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'll be optimistic and say yes. Pens are tied for 2nd most ROW in the division at 20. Conversely, they've lost more in regulation than any team in the division.

Lack of loser points is a problem, but I like their chances if they can turn a few more of those regulation losses into OT.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, its not impossible or anything.

I just don't think their good enough to do it.

Remember the pens picked up 5 wins in the first half against Buffalo and Arizona.

They don't have anymore games against them in the 2nd half, that makes a big difference.

Remember that we also won’t have the crazy schedule at the start of the season.

We won’t have a 10 game stretch where we play 7 away games with all but 1 in a different time zone (which was directly after an already tough schedule).

We had a stretch where Letang and Schultz were out at the same time too.

We have an easier draw than NYI, Philly and Carolina. NYR probably has an easier draw than us though.

13th most wins in the league currently and we should get better. That trend has started this season already.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
xxx____2016___2017___2018
OCT___7-4-0___6-2-1___7-5-1
NOV___6-4-2___7-5-2___6-5-2
DEC___5-7-2___12-1-2___6-8-0
JAN___6-2-3___6-5-0___3-1-0
FEB___8-4-1___7-2-3
MAR__12-4-0___9-4-3
APR___4-1-0___3-2-0
TOT_48-26-8__50-21-11__22-19-3

Good stuff.

Pens could finish the season 20-10-8 and get 95 points. That's not an absurdly good record or anything, but it shows how much the loser points impacts the playoff race.

That said, this team is so good in 3 on 3 that I don't expect them to put up 8 loser points the rest of the way.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Remember that we also won’t have the crazy schedule at the start of the season.

We won’t have a 10 game stretch where we play 7 away games with all but 1 in a different time zone (which was directly after an already tough schedule).

We had a stretch where Letang and Schultz were out at the same time too.

We have an easier draw than NYI, Philly and Carolina. NYR probably has an easier draw than us though.

13th most wins in the league currently and we should get better. That trend has started this season already.

Ok.

Your optimistic, I'm not gonna try to change your mind.

Were all entitled to our opinions.

I've watched them play 44 games this season, i just don't see a very good team this year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Ok.

Your optimistic, I'm not gonna try to change your mind.

Were all entitled to our opinions.

I've watched them play 44 games this season, i just don't see a very good team this year.

That’s fine. I was just pointing out a couple things that don’t make it look as bad. That schedule at the start was a really big factor that offsets your points somewhat.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I certainly could see them missing, but it's hard to bet against Sid, Geno and Kessel. If Letang trends in the right direction, add him to that group of 3.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
If someone would have told me, before the season, that there would be a question in January on whether the Penguins would make the playoffs I would have said you were crazy. Yet, that's where they find themselves. I do think they will sneak in. It's so maddening to see how inconsistent this team has been this season. I figured with the rigors of two straight Cup victories that a three-peat was going to be extremely difficult but at the same time I never doubted that they would not make the playoffs. Unfortunately there is a real possibility of that indeed happening which would be shocking with the talent that this team clearly has.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The one good thing about this is if the pens do make the playoffs it means the pens are playing really good hockey heading into the playoffs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It takes around 95 points to make the playoffs.

For the pens to hit 95 points they would have to win 24 of their final 38 games.

If you think the pens can go 24 14 the rest of the way your basing your opinion on what the pens did the last 2 years.

Their is nothing the pens have done this year that makes you think the pens are capable of going on that type of run.
And the years that they won the Cup with crazy second half finishes, '09 and '16, what kinda first halves did they have those years that made you say at the midway point that they were capable of winning the Cup that year?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We have the same starting goaltender, 5 of the same dmen, 2 of the same centres, and 7 of the same wings as last season, including pretty much everyone we'd call a star. That sounds like close enough to justify looking at the past for reference.

If we can get Murray, Malkin, Crosby and maybe most crucially of all, Letang, firing close to where they can be consistently, we're probably making the play-offs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
They might not make it, but if they do, I wouldn't bet against them vs any team. Tampa Bay would be the toughest, and that could go either way. Any other team, I think we beat in the EAST.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
And the years that they won the Cup with crazy second half finishes, '09 and '16, what kinda first halves did they have those years that made you say at the midway point that they were capable of winning the Cup that year?

In 16 i did not think they would make the playoffs in the middle of the year.

09 was so long ago i don't even remember.

Like iv said in my previous posts though, i just don't think the past years matter when deciding if this is going to be a playoff team.

I feel the same way about Chicago when i watch them, i see Chicago as a bubble team this year that has no shot at the cup.

I don't think Chicago can win the cup because of their past seasons.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Their are a lot of different players on this team then last years team.

Its not the same as the 2015-2016 years where it was basically the same team besides Lovejoy.

I'm basing my opinion on the 44 games i'v seen this year.

If you feel like the last few years will have an effect how the pens finish this year that's fine, that's your opinion, IMO the last few years doesn't mean anything because the team is very different.

As long as Crosby and Malkin have been around, Penguins teams historically finish strong in the second half.

The team has been very different for many seasons of their careers, but Malkin and Crosby always find a way. So if you want to bet agt them, that's your prerogative.

Until they show me they are old and washed up, I'm not betting agt their will and talent.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I'll be optimistic and say yes. Pens are tied for 2nd most ROW in the division at 20. Conversely, they've lost more in regulation than any team in the division.

Lack of loser points is a problem, but I like their chances if they can turn a few more of those regulation losses into OT.
Yep, there is a lack of loser points. But they are so good in 3vs3 OTs that there WILL BE a lack of loser points, no matter what :D That said, yep, they need to go to OT more often. They have lost some games in regulation lately, that they should have just send to overtime (Rangers at home, at Colorado, at Vegas, at Carolina..). They hit the post late in the 3rd in 3 of those 4 games, being down a goal. Makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad