Are the Penguins a threat in the East? pt 2 (14 W in last 16 GP)

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Does anyone know what teams have done previously when they've entered hot like this?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Was the 12 wins out of last 13 accurate?

This is a team that is getting hot at the exact right time.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Since March 11th they have won every game except for against the Devils, 12 of 13 games.

They have scored 55 goals during those 13 games (4.23 goals per game), and had 26 goals (2 goals per game) scored against them.

Nine of the thirteen games played were against teams who are in the playoffs or on the verge of clinching a spot.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The thing I'm really curious to see is how Murray does in the playoffs if Fleury is out for the beginning. There really isn't many past examples of goalies with that few games of NHL experience starting in the playoffs. The closest I can find is Gibson, who played 3 games in the 13-14 regular season (3-0 with a .957 save% and 1.33 GAA) and started 4 games in the playoffs that year (2-2 with a .919 save% and 2.70 GAA).

I think Murray putting up a 2.2 GAA and a .923 save% isn't out of the realm of possibility. Murray is currently rocking a .900 quality start% (9 out of his 10 NHL games were quality starts) and he has hit the above numbers in 7 of 10 games so far in his career.

2011-12 Kings were a 57% possession team from February 1st to the end of the regular season.

The Pens in 2009 also were on fire and killing in possession numbers going into the playoffs. Although at the same time, the 2013 Penguins were 24-3 in their last 27 (had a 15 game winning streak), so maybe ending the regular season hot doesn't mean much.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The thing I'm really curious to see is how Murray does in the playoffs if Fleury is out for the beginning. There really isn't many past examples of goalies with that few games of NHL experience starting in the playoffs. The closest I can find is Gibson, who played 3 games in the 13-14 regular season (3-0 with a .957 save% and 1.33 GAA) and started 4 games in the playoffs that year (2-2 with a .919 save% and 2.70 GAA).

I think Murray putting up a 2.2 GAA and a .923 save% isn't out of the realm of possibility. Murray is currently rocking a .900 quality start% (9 out of his 10 NHL games were quality starts) and he has hit the above numbers in 7 of 10 games so far in his career.

The Pens in 2009 also were on fire and killing in possession numbers going into the playoffs. Although at the same time, the 2013 Penguins were 24-3 in their last 27 (had a 15 game winning streak), so maybe ending the regular season hot doesn't mean much.
The coach made poor decisions and that Bruins series was just horrid

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

The 2013 Penguins were 18th in CF%...so maybe the record was more than a little deceiving.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The 2013 Penguins were 18th in CF%...so maybe the record was more than a little deceiving.

That's actually really surprising considering how much they were scoring. Then again, the Pens top line had a downright obscene on ice shooting% (between 13.2% and 13.9%, Crosby this year is at 9.74% for comparison) and basically the entire team outside of essentially the 2nd line had totally unsustainable PDOs (top line was between 1063 and 1074, average is 1000). I think the pure luck of that top line and the deadly PP really carried the Penguins that year, I mean Crosby was on pace for like 130 points. When those 2 got shut down against Boston, you saw how truly weak that Pens team was.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
When are Malkin and Fleury coming back? If they go into the playoffs without them, I don't see them getting past the 2nd round

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
When are Malkin and Fleury coming back? If they go into the playoffs without them, I don't see them getting past the 2nd round

Malkin would likely be back for round 2 from what I've heard...? Fleury could be back for the start of the playoffs, or he could be out much longer, it's really tough to say. I think there's a good chance he'll be ready to go for round 1.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean, the Pens have won 10 of 11 without Malkin. I really don't think Malkin being out will sink the Penguins. The Rangers are missing McDonagh most likely, remember that.

And even if Fleury is out, the Pens still have Murray. I don't think Murray today is worse than Vokoun was in 2013.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Fleury's status is unknown.

Malkin was injured March 11, and is out six to eight weeks. Which would be around the start of the second round at the earliest.

To be fair though the Pens have won 12 of 13 and outscored their opponents (nine of the thirteen games were against teams in or on the cusp of the playoffs) 55 to 26.

Matt Murray has a higher save percentage than Fleury and looked great against the Flyers the last game, though obviously you would want Fleury in there if given the choice.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
I know Pens won 12 of 13, but Playoffs without those 2 players would be a huge loss, and other than these last 20 games they've been playing pretty mediocre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know Pens won 12 of 13, but Playoffs without those 2 players would be a huge loss, and other than these last 20 games they've been playing pretty mediocre

That's just blatantly not true. The Pens have been on par with the Capitals and Kings ever since the coaching switch in record, goal differential and possession stats. Actually, they've been a lot better in possession stats than the Capitals, but the Caps are a pretty mediocre possession team.

The Penguins depth right now is producing like crazy and the Pens still have Crosby and Kessel in their lineup on 2 separate lines. The last 20 games are by far the most relevant in predicting playoff success, especially for a team who had a coaching change in the middle of the year. They're also most likely going against a Rangers team who is missing their #1D, which is going to be an absolutely massive loss for an already weaker D group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad