Are the Penguins a Better Team This Playoffs or Last?

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I'm honestly not sure what's going to be brought to the table here except to give people a chance for people to dump on this year's team compared to last year's. I don't know anyone who thinks this year's team is better, myself included.

That said, this year's team does have that added layer of experience and a lot of character built through adversity going for them.

Last edited:

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
last years team was better due to health, and this team making it back to the finals with all the injuries proves how great they were last year

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
2016 AINEC. This 2017 is playing really mediocre hockey but finding a way which you gotta credit them for.

These past 4 games or so they've played very good hockey. But yeah, that 2016 team was a machine. If both rosters were fully healthy, maybe this year's team, but that is not the case so I'd say 2016 team was better

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Last by a substantial margin. They are quite beatable this year, I'm still amazed they got past Washington.

Jul 6, 2016
Last by a substantial margin. They are quite beatable this year, I'm still amazed they got past Washington.

They were healthier, for sure. They have only three days rest while Nashville is resting a full week.

Jul 6, 2016

Anyone can beat Washington ! These guys know how to sabotage their own progress.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
2016. But people forget last year's team was a lot more about puck possession than finishing. This year's team has a healthy Malkin, better scoring version of Crosby and Guentzel.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Last year. I do admire that this hockey club just refuses to accept that it's too banged up to be where it is.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the two teams played I'd expect 2016 to sweep 2017. But I've been wrong about this team all playoffs apparently so who the hell knows

Pretty much. Last year Pittsburgh dominated the puck and the shot clocks. This year we're playing well for the most part, but we've been outshot more often then not. And in the Washington series, out played more often then not.

I know there's something to be said for the kids from last year who've taken another step this year... and to an extent that's true. But given all the injuries, it's not even close. 2016>2017.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
In theory, the '16 Penguins would skate circles around this year's squad.

However, this year's team would keep banking pucks off the glass and dumping them into the neutral zone while having a dramatic knack for scoring goals at JUST the right moments despite not being able to generate a whole lot offensively and would begin to frustrate the '16 team, making Phil lose his composure and get off his game, thus neutralizing the HBK line.

I say this this year's team wins in 7.... bleh.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens more up and down this year with injuries, and the facts are Pens are struggling with keeping their legs and speed. A lot of hockey in two years and it takes it's toll. Pens win game two is a must. They have depth to play well, but last year was unique in how the Pens just beat everyone.

Jul 22, 2012
Last years, not close for me.

This year I feel they are somewhat lucky to be there. Not taking anything away from them, but Fleury stole the series vs the Caps, and then escaping by the skin of their teeth against Ottawa.. I dunno.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Last year's was a buzz saw.

If the Pens pull it off this year though I would be more proud of them for what they overcame.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If 17 was completely healthy.. then they might be better than 16, but no Letang, the banged up crew right now.. 16 takes it, no question.

This right here. If you added Letang back to the 2017 Pens, they might have an edge on the 2016 Pens. Without him though, no contest.

2016 Rust, Sheary, Wilson < 2017 Rust, Sheary, Wilson
2016 No Guentzel < 2017 Guentzel
2016 HBK > 2017 HBK, individually and collectively
2016 Maatta < 2017 Maatta
2016 Schultz < 2017 Schultz

Daley and Dumo are limping through, so it's hard to say which year was better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
2017's team has more firepower up front, but 2016's team had a much better defense. Not only was Letang a huge loss, but Daley's lost a step from last year, and Schultz is playing banged up. Dumoulin, too, apparently has a pretty bad injury. Last year's club was, largely, healthy.

The 2016 was flat out dominant, largely because of those puck movers on defense. If Letang was healthy and playing this year? Who knows.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Last year's team outshot their opponents in most games.

This year's team gets outshot in most games.

If the Pens were healthy this year though they would be better. But last year's team played better hockey and had more jump to their game no doubt about it.

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
Last year's team kind of caught everyone by surprise. Teams know how the Penguins play now. Obviously having no Letang hurts but I think this team is tired but resilient. They want to win but they've played lots of hockey and have been hampered by injuries all year long. This team has some of the best will and determination I have ever seen though and just do what they can to get the job done even if not pretty.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Last years team dominated the ice. Best team in each series no question.

This years team scores every chance they get. There's some puck luck siding with this years team I have no doubt.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
A fully healthy 2016 Penguins teams beats the current team. However, I don't think last year's team would have been well-equipped enough to handle the loss of Letang for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad