Are the Penguins a Better Team This Playoffs or Last?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Last year, by a ways.

Had Letang and HBK. Daley was much better and they have a dependable dman in Lovejoy.

Now they don't have a HBK, Letang is out, Guentzel is in which I guess could be your Kessel equivalent, and Hainsey is not Lovejoy.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Last years team was healthy all throughout the playoffs. This years team started without Letang, and then kept getting injuries throughout the playoffs. Yet they kept hanging on.

Can't compare.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
15/16 5v5 playoffs: 51 CF% 53 FF% 55 SF% 52 SCF% 56 HDSC% 56 xG%
16/17 5v5 playoffs: 46 CF% 46 FF% 47 SF% 46 SCF% 50 HDSC% (xG not available)

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
It's not even a debate, last year obviously.

Last year they were a juggernaut and that run was fun to watch.

This year's run for me has just been weird and stressful to watch, and I'm always waiting for the shoe to drop -- but they're resilient. In fairness to the team the year before, they didn't have to face that kind of adversity so it's impossible to say how they would have responded.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The 2016 Penguins were miles better than this team. The 2016 Penguins only suffered 1 serious injury in the playoffs, it was a broken ankle to Daley. The Penguins this year haven't had Letang for a single playoff game along with a ton of other injuries. The fact that they're in the cup finals right now is a miracle.

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Are we taking health into account? I know that Sid, Jake, Sheary, Daly, Schultz, Horny and Rust are back now but they certainly aren't healthy. If you take the current state of this team the 2016 team at the time would beat them. Now if everyone was healthy this years team is much better.

Edit: Are Malkin and Kunitz the only notable players who haven't been injured this post season?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

They were firing on all cylinders last year. This team, even when 'healthy' (a term I'll use loosely), hasn't played at that level this season.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Well, last year obviously. Other than a close series against a great Washington team, they just seemed to be able to overwhelm their opponents on a consistent basis, with wave after wave of attack and pressure. Last year, I though the Pens were even better than their record indicated, which is saying something.

This year, maybe the opposite, especially against Washington. I have no problem saying that they were outplayed / outclassed in the majority of games. But I also feel like they just have a winner's confidence this year. Doesn't really matter if you're outplayed if you win. The Pens this year take the ugly losses, and then when things tighten up, they respond. Up 3-1 against Washington, they played pretty poorly, but then had a fantastic Game 7. Up 3-0 last night, they played poorly, but as soon as the Preds tied it up they just went back to business.

But yeah, last year's team looked much better.

ResignCraigAdams

Mar 15, 2017
To be honest, I still don't understand how they got this far. They've been outplayed for long stretches during games but seem to cash in on their scoring chances at a high percentage.

Last year's team was so dominant and firing on all cylinders. Nothing more to be said.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Honestly, idk how this roster without letand even made it past the second round, besides a **** ton of luck. Last year's roster was dominant.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
On the ice, last year by far. Letang makes an enormous difference and HBK was a de facto 1st line going up against bottom 6 and 3rd pairings.

I think what's getting them through this year is experience, coaching, and maybe slightly more depth.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I think they are every bit as resilient, but probably not as good overall. Letang is such a huge loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad