Are the oilers finally sticking up for each other?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
On the main board Nurse is being taken to task for what he did. I am taking a different perspective on things.

One of my big complaints over the past 7 or so years as been when an Oiler gets slapped around or a slight cheap shot taken on him--nothing happened. I remember one time a player hit Hall and the player looked around expecting to get jumped or something and nothing happened.

Something changed this year--do not know if it is the coach or we suddenly have players willing to take a penalty/suspension but I have notice this year that is a player hits an oiler--not always, but that player will end up in a fight or some sort of altercation before the end of the game

Maybe it is just me---but despite the fact we are in the bottom 5th of the league again--I do see a change in how things are on the ice.. is it just me?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I have no issues with what Nurse did. Granted, he didn't see the replay of Hendricks falling by himself like we're able to with our TV's at home. But hey, it speaks volume. Anybody tries to mess with an oilers player will deal with Nurse, Maroon, Kassian, etc.

Oilers aren't gonna be the baby **** soft team that others will find joy to bully against. I'm fine with it. Nurse reminds me of a future Gator and I loved Gator as an oiler.

McDeathbyCheerios*

On the main board Nurse is being taken to task for what he did. I am taking a different perspective on things.

One of my big complaints over the past 7 or so years as been when an Oiler gets slapped around or a slight cheap shot taken on him--nothing happened. I remember one time a player hit Hall and the player looked around expecting to get jumped or something and nothing happened.

Something changed this year--do not know if it is the coach or we suddenly have players willing to take a penalty/suspension but I have notice this year that is a player hits an oiler--not always, but that player will end up in a fight or some sort of altercation before the end of the game

Maybe it is just me---but despite the fact we are in the bottom 5th of the league again--I do see a change in how things are on the ice.. is it just me?
Kassian, Maroon, Hendricks, Nurse and Pardy are all guys willing to stick up for their team mates. When a few guys are always willing to it becomes contagious

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Even though what he did was the "wrong" thing to do, it WILL give teams second thoughts about running guys if their nose is going to get split open. It's not about this one event. That's super short sighted. It's next game, and next game.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Even though what he did was the "wrong" thing to do, it WILL give teams second thoughts about running guys if their nose is going to get split open. It's not about this one event. That's super short sighted. It's next game, and next game.

Bingo. Even Hall enjoyed how his teammates backed him up in the flyers game. That builds a team mentality.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I have to say I like what I've seen from Hall this year. He does have the shoulder slump and screams "****" in the first period of every other game....pouts when the refs don't call penalties....etc.

But he's also taken a big step when it comes to standing up for himself and his linemates....I remember he facewashed Chara earlier in the year and was chirping Buff last game. He has always kind of had that stuff but I think he's starting to do it more often if the team starts winning I think that side of Hall will become more prevalent.

I have accepted he is not the most skilled player and we will see a lot of plays die on his stick....but he knows when to press and is gotten a lot better playing a full 200 ft, imo. If he was just a little stronger on his skates he'd probably be a total beast.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I have no issues with what Nurse did. Granted, he didn't see the replay of Hendricks falling by himself like we're able to with our TV's at home. But hey, it speaks volume. Anybody tries to mess with an oilers player will deal with Nurse, Maroon, Kassian, etc.

Oilers aren't gonna be the baby **** soft team that others will find joy to bully against. I'm fine with it. Nurse reminds me of a future Gator and I loved Gator as an oiler.

A different angle shows Polak push Hendricks' foot out with his stick. It was very very quick. I'll find the tweet

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I 100% support the Oilers going full savage from here until the end of the season.

**** other teams feelings. We've taken so much **** for so long. Honestly I'm down for just putting out a team full of guys like JJ, Gazdic, Maroon, Nurse, Kassian, et al and just playing nasty.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Are the Oilers finally __________?

Fill in with whatever your heart desires: turning the corner, burning villages, sticking up for one another, done being sucky in any way shape or form.

The only one that I'll be certain is true is that the Oilers are finally leaving Rexall Place at the end of the season.

10 years has made me highly skeptical.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Yep. That being said, it's easy to construct a team that sticks up for each other. It's tougher to construct a team that does that and wins. Hopefully Chia will be able to maintain the toughness we have into next season.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Are the Oilers finally __________?

Fill in with whatever your heart desires: turning the corner, burning villages, sticking up for one another, done being sucky in any way shape or form.

The only one that I'll be certain is true is that the Oilers are finally leaving Rexall Place at the end of the season.

10 years has made me highly skeptical.

Haha so true :laugh:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
If the refs were fooled I think we can all agree that Nurse could be fooled as well.

I'm glad nurse did what he did because this team is complete utter trash when they weren't sticking up for eachother, when they do care for eachother it leads me to believe that there might be some pride seeping into the organization.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm more worried about jinxes and evil curses

voodoo-doll-edmonton-oilers.gif

Last edited:

Gambl0r83*

752 comments on sportsnet's article on darnell's beatdown of Turtle Polak. I've never seen an article this year come even close in number of comments
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-darnell-nurse-hearing-nhl/

90 percent of the comments go like this:
"Coilers, what a joke franchise, just became even more of a joke"
"So they get 4 1st overalls and looks like another one, and they're still last and play like childish goons, facepalm"
"Dirty play from a dirty player from a dirt franchise, just eradicate that good for nothing team already"
And so on, and so on

The hate for our team this year and right now is real

But as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity, Oilers are a hot topic right now and the **** show is very entertaining

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
752 comments on sportsnet's article on darnell's beatdown of Turtle Polak. I've never seen an article this year come even close in number of comments
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-darnell-nurse-hearing-nhl/

90 percent of the comments go like this:
"Coilers, what a joke franchise, just became even more of a joke"
"So they get 4 1st overalls and looks like another one, and they're still last and play like childish goons, facepalm"
"Dirty play from a dirty player from a dirt franchise, just eradicate that good for nothing team already"
And so on, and so on

The hate for our team this year and right now is real

But as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity, Oilers are a hot topic right now and the **** show is very entertaining
If that was reverse, they'd be laughing and saying he deserved it. I'm sick and tired of the Oilers bashing. It's time to get rid of the childish comments on sportsnet. Why was it OK for Domi to do it but if the Oilers do it, they're a dirty team. The Oilers hatred is going too far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad