Are the New York Rangers a top 10 Franchise in NHL History in terms of on ice success?

what do you think?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What is on-ice success?

Winning cups / games played?
Points over games played?
Revenue by attracting / offering boat loads of money to high profile players?

They're 2 cups behind the Blackhawks and Bruins. And even though they've been around forever, they played in a league that was dominated by a few teams for such a long part of it. I'm a NYR fan, but if I am being honest, no - we fans haven't had a top 10 on-ice product in terms of success.

Reactions: slapKing

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
interesting poll..

I would say no.

Off the top of my head I would point out the following franchises

Pittsburgh - more cups in the modern post-og 6 era

Islanders - had a dynasty + 4 cups in the 80s, more impressive than the rangers one cup post 1940 IMHO (worth noting I am an isles fan so biased)

Chicago - arguably a modern dynasty, more cups, especially more in recent memory

Montreal - do I have to even explain?

Bruins - More overall cups, another o6 team with more success in recent memory (won a cup in the 2010s, Rangers havent since the mid 90s)

New Jersey Devils - this one is subjective, but IMHO the devils three cups in the modern era is more impressive than the rangers one modern cup + 06 cups from when the game was radically different. NJ has won two cups since the rangers last, and had more finals appearances

Detroit Red Wings - long run of success, plenty of cups, including one in the 2000s (much more recently than the Rangers)

Oilers - similar to the Islanders, while they certainly have had some rough recent years, they are starting to turn it around and their dynasty years were undeniably impressive... several cups in a row

Tampa Bay Lighting - again this one is up for debate, but I put much more stock in cups won in the post -expansion era

Colorado - similar to Tampa I could see someone arguing that the rangers cumulative successes outweigh Colorado's, but I think the team they assembled and won cups with in the late 90s / early 2000s was very impressive.

TLDR - I don't put much stock in stanley cups won during the original six era. Rangers have won a single cup since expansion, many franchises have done better

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
New Jersey Devils - this one is subjective, but IMHO the devils three cups in the modern era is more impressive than the rangers one modern cup + 06 cups from when the game was radically different. NJ has won two cups since the rangers last, and had more finals appearances

All 3 were after the Rangers last cup. They won in 94 then we won 95, 00, 03 and made the finals as well in 01 and 12 while they've only made it in 14 since

Reactions: slapKing and Voight

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
06 cups don't count, so don't bother bringing them up.
Frankly, Cups won in the O6, first expansion, 24 team, 30 team league don't count either.

Also, any individual statistics in seasons around expansion don't count either, because the number of games against expansion teams aren't equal.

Also, all shortened seasons don't count.

There hasn't been a single season yet that I believe counts.

I'm not sure there will be a season that we can take historical content into consideration for maybe 3-4 years yet.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'd say no.

The league has changed a lot and many younger teams have had more success than the NYR.
Since realignment in 1982 at least, the Rangers haven't had top 10 success.
And the league only had 21 teams by then.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
interesting poll..

I would say no.

Off the top of my head I would point out the following franchises

Pittsburgh - more cups in the modern post-og 6 era

Islanders - had a dynasty + 4 cups in the 80s, more impressive than the rangers one cup post 1940 IMHO (worth noting I am an isles fan so biased)

Chicago - arguably a modern dynasty, more cups, especially more in recent memory

Montreal - do I have to even explain?

Bruins - More overall cups, another o6 team with more success in recent memory (won a cup in the 2010s, Rangers havent since the mid 90s)

Detroit Red Wings - long run of success, plenty of cups, including one in the 2000s (much more recently than the Rangers)

Oilers - similar to the Islanders, while they certainly have had some rough recent years, they are starting to turn it around and their dynasty years were undeniably impressive... several cups in a row

Tampa Bay Lighting - again this one is up for debate, but I put much more stock in cups won in the post -expansion era

Colorado - similar to Tampa I could see someone arguing that the rangers cumulative successes outweigh Colorado's, but I think the team they assembled and won cups with in the late 90s / early 2000s was very impressive.

TLDR - I don't put much stock in stanley cups won during the original six era. Rangers have won a single cup since expansion, many franchises have done better

Good list. Completely agree

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Would be interested to see a weighted cup standings. If we say winning a cup in a 31 team league is worth 1, then winning in a six team league would be worth 6/31. Or you could do the opposite and say winning now is worth 31 points and winning then is worth 6 I guess. Either way you could then divide by the number of seasons to see who is the most successful on average over history.

Maybe I'll do that tonight at work instead of one of my naps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad