Are the Leafs' players tanking

Are the players tanking ?

• Total voters

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If they are tanking, then why ?

Tanking is defined as the players aren't trying hard enough to win.

I'm not sure myself as I just feel we are actually this bad. But sometimes the effort was so bad, I felt there could be a revolt going on behind the scenes.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I can understand why a team might tank (the current Leafs obviously aren't). I can't envision why its players ever would.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Know how most fans no longer believe in them?

Well, I think the same thing is happening to them. They don't believe they can succeed, even with 100% effort, so why bother trying so hard?

I'm not sure if "tanking" is the right word, but I don't think they care/believe enough in themselves to give proper effort.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If they're tanking it's because they've quit on a second coach.

The possibility remains that the stars are just cold AND...

Kampf, Kase and Ritchie aren't good NHL players AND...

Sandin is in over his head AND...

Muzzin and Holl are struggling to get up to NHL regular season speed AND...

Campbell isn't playing particularly well.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5 and Siah

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m picking up some Salute Gate vibes from the team, like they think the market and media are full or bozos, they’re going to steam roll the regular season and worry about everything later. For instance, you look at the AM34 media blitz and it’s about self expression, fashion, growing the game via personal branding, nary a word about rededication to the season, really narrowing focus on winning and proving everyone wrong. Compare and contrast the way McDavid stayed silent all summer and then has come out like a man on a mission.

But then when rubber hit the road to start the year, they’re also in shock that they’re not having any success whatsoever and things are snowballing out of control.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Overpaid contracts and underperforming players does not = tanking.

Overpaid players without earning it breads complacency, and creates an environment of self entitlement, when you hand out guaranteed contracts in advance of performance.

In Toronto this is referred to as "Blue and White" disease, and its created by management both GM and Coach on how they created it, and are not handling this situation.

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
If they're tanking it's because they've quit on a second coach.

The possibility remains that the stars are just cold AND...

Kampf, Kase and Ritchie aren't good NHL players AND...

Sandin is in over his head AND...

Muzzin and Holl are struggling to get up to NHL regular season speed AND...

Campbell isn't playing particularly well.
Sorry? Have you watched the games? I think the only person you cannot blame on this is Campbell. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
Certainly the players of any team wouldn’t tank on purpose. It’s ridiculous to think that players would purposefully play poorly and ruin their shot at future earnings to…what? help a team that they likely won’t be on in a few years get a high draft pick? I think they are trying but it just ain’t working and the team has some issues with the way they are built.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Can't vote but would vote no. I think the pressure has gotten to many of them and they're struggling to deal with it.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Matthews was laughing in pressers after Saturday's game. Saying the media is acting like the sky is falling after 6 games, saying they're blocking out the noise and they believe in themselves in the room and that's all that matters.

I call BS. I agree with people saying they're losing belief in themselves and Im not surprised, because to me they just don't seem like a team.

There's a few guys getting paid well who get supported by a rag tag group of project player mercenaries every year. There's nothing cohesive about the group anymore, no one is having fun. And neither are the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: