Are the last 9 years too much to overcome?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If this team still sucks this year, I want to start seeing "core" players moved, starting with Hall and Eberle. No more new coaches or GMs from here forward.

I think this is where I'm kind of broken with the team. I'm really hoping Mclellan makes me start liking these players again, but every time things get bad, it gets in my head that this group just doesnt have what it takes to get it done.

In a perfect world where fairly even 1 for 1 deals happen, I would want most of the old 'core' shipped out for a completely new look team.

There was a time last year when things were so bad that I was one of many saying "If we get McDavid, we make a new core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse and Klefbom and do this thing right!"

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
No, team will make a big jump forward. Tod and Peter will change the entire culture and turn this in to a winner in short order. Book it.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
We are a damaged fanbase. We all know, logically speaking, that it will take the new management/coaching at least one year, maybe more to correct 5-9 years of the worst managing the league has ever seen.

But can we take it? The Eakins years were so damaging to the psyche of the fanbase, can we really withstand another bottom 5 finish (which is very possible, if not likely)?

I know we should and need to be patient, but I don't know if I/we can do it.

Are these questions for tier 1 or tier 2 fans? Please, be specific.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think this is where I'm kind of broken with the team. I'm really hoping Mclellan makes me start liking these players again, but every time things get bad, it gets in my head that this group just doesnt have what it takes to get it done.

In a perfect world where fairly even 1 for 1 deals happen, I would want most of the old 'core' shipped out for a completely new look team.

There was a time last year when things were so bad that I was one of many saying "If we get McDavid, we make a new core of McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse and Klefbom and do this thing right!"

You know this core couldn't get it done in the AHL right?

I mean Eberle Hall Hopkins and Schultz pretty much occupied top 10 scoring the time they were down there, but they still could barely hold down a playoff spot.

What's more startling was how the Barons actually played a LOT better when those 4 left for the NHL.

How the hell were we expecting them to bring us to the next level in the NHL?

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

I mean Eberle Hall Hopkins and Schultz pretty much occupied top 10 scoring the time they were down there, but they still could barely hold down a playoff spot.

What's more startling was how the Barons actually played a LOT better when those 4 left for the NHL.

If they were all top 10 in league in scoring then weren't those four players doing their part towards the team's success? What more could they have done?

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Seriously?!

You realize that during the lockout, the AHL was a lot more competitive, right? A lot of teams' talented young players were playing there, not just Edmonton's.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If they were all top 10 in league in scoring then weren't those four players doing their part towards the team's success? What more could they have done?

I think the suggestion is that they could learn an allround game.

Our star players have been in the league several years now and everybody seems happy enough if they get on the scoresheet in a game. Even if they have 2 GA in a game..

Not saying that's indicative but these players have rarely scored more than they've allowed. That's a bit odd for 3 star players grouped together. Really they should be owning. Not struggling to hold their own.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
the moment we make the playoffs all will be forgiven and forgotten about

Honestly I'm not sure that's true.

I can't ever foresee myself not being an Oiler fan, it's too ingrained into my sense of identity at this point. But I'd be lying if I said that some of the magic isn't gone at this point. And I don't know if that can be remedied by a single playoff run (Stanley Cup or something not withstanding).

It'll be quite a long time before I'm not jaded towards this team, there's going to have to be a lot of success before I start trusting feeling good about the team.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
9 years? Eberle is the most senior player at only 5 years so.... maybe?

Hell only Eberle, Hall, RNH, Shultz and Yak have been playing on the NHL team for more than 3 years so maybe the entire 9 years of disappointment don't totally apply

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Honestly I'm not sure that's true.

I can't ever foresee myself not being an Oiler fan, it's too ingrained into my sense of identity at this point. But I'd be lying if I said that some of the magic isn't gone at this point. And I don't know if that can be remedied by a single playoff run (Stanley Cup or something not withstanding).

It'll be quite a long time before I'm not jaded towards this team, there's going to have to be a lot of success before I start trusting feeling good about the team.

i assure you it is true

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I think the suggestion is that they could learn an allround game.

Our star players have been in the league several years now and everybody seems happy enough if they get on the scoresheet in a game. Even if they have 2 GA in a game..

Not saying that's indicative but these players have rarely scored more than they've allowed. That's a bit odd for 3 star players grouped together. Really they should be owning. Not struggling to hold their own.

Fair enough, and a good point if we're talking about their NHL contributions. You're absolutely right on that one, and I hope that TM can bring a good defensive system to the team.

However, the original comment on this core not even able to lead an AHL team to success is still ridiculous. They tore the league apart, and had the puck in the other teams' zone for full shifts regularly. They did their part; it was the rest of the team that blew that year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Fair enough, and a good point if we're talking about their NHL contributions. You're absolutely right on that one, and I hope that TM can bring a good defensive system to the team.

However, the original comment on this core not even able to lead an AHL team to success is still ridiculous. They tore the league apart, and had the puck in the other teams' zone for full shifts regularly. They did their part; it was the rest of the team that blew that year.

I will point out though that in the last game are stars were shown up by a line of Horvat, Virtanen, and Baertschi. All guys with apparently more to prove then our stars in that game.

I hope they were duly embarrassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad