Kings Article: Are The LA Kings Doing The Right Thing With Slava Voynov?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The Kings did the right thing for the Kings as far as Voynov, as he doesn't fit into the immediate or long term plans of the Kings who intend to rebuild.

I don't believe that has ANYTHING to do with why the Kings won't be playing him. How does a player of that calibre, still in their 20s, not fit into any type of plan? That's absurd.

Reactions: andys and Butch 19

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I don't believe that has ANYTHING to do with why the Kings won't be playing him. How does a player of that calibre, still in their 20s, not fit into any type of plan? That's absurd.
Agreed.

Straight horrible asset management continues. Truthfully no one would give a #$&@ or remember after a few days outside a select few on this forum. Guy has already served by far by far the lengthiest suspension ever of any player in league history. You don't have to like him, we don't have to keep him around, no one should condone his actions, but just tossing an asset aside is idiotic. Seriously they waited years without making a statement and even let him sneak into practice. Now suddenly a public message is required killing all potential trade value? Voynov was better than Muzzin and look at the return he got.

The ineptitude this franchise continues to show recently is disgusting. Nothing positive came from that public statement and if someone argues perception... it took the Kings 5 yrs to state this so throw that idea out the window please. I'd honestly love to hear a valid benefit to making a public statement outside of looking like hypocrites, destroying an assets value, and pretending to be righteous.

Finally... If Voynov doesn't fit into our "rebuild plans" being under 30 then safe to say we move out Kopitar, Doughty, Martinez, Quick, Kovalchuk, Carter, etc this off season as they don't fit either right?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Agreed.

Straight horrible asset management continues. Truthfully no one would give a #$&@ or remember after a few days outside a select few on this forum. Guy has already served by far by far the lengthiest suspension ever of any player in league history. You don't have to like him, we don't have to keep him around, no one should condone his actions, but just tossing an asset aside is idiotic. Seriously they waited years without making a statement and even let him sneak into practice. Now suddenly a public message is required killing all potential trade value? Voynov was better than Muzzin and look at the return he got.

The ineptitude this franchise continues to show recently is disgusting. Nothing positive came from that public statement and if someone argues perception... it took the Kings 5 yrs to state this so throw that idea out the window please. I'd honestly love to hear a valid benefit to making a public statement outside of looking like hypocrites, destroying an assets value, and pretending to be righteous.

Finally... If Voynov doesn't fit into our "rebuild plans" being under 30 then safe to say we move out Kopitar, Doughty, Martinez, Quick, Kovalchuk, Carter, etc this off season as they don't fit either right?

Myself and other posters have been calling for that since 2017-18 season. I am glad the Kings moved on from Voynov, the locker room appears to be already rudderless.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't think the Kings stance on Voynov necessarily has to do with the stigma of it all or fitting into future plans. It's probable there was a major bridge burned somewhere while things were going down, or there could be a directive coming from the top (Phil).

From an asset point of view, it's ideal he plays with the Kings to get a read on his value. It doesn't look like that is happening so I have no inkling of what they could get for him. All teams scout the KHL, so it's not like he's an unknown at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad