Kings Article: Are The LA Kings Doing The Right Thing With Slava Voynov?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Forgot to post this earlier...

Now that the Slava Voynov controversy is nearing its end, with an arbitrator ruling on Voynov's suspension, some LA Kings fans believe that the Kings should part ways with Voynov, while others believe that the the Kings should re-sign him because he would help the team.
So what's the right thing for the Kings to do with Voynov?
Read on to find out...

Are The LA Kings Doing The Right Thing With Slava Voynov?

Reactions: kingsboy11

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yes and No...
Yes, they did what was best for the team and for the younger players they’re trying to integrate into the team now and in the following seasons..

No, as a team asset they should have either cut ties immediately by renouncing his rights or not released the statement which literally kills his trade value if that was their intention..

I doubt it was done out of the goodness of Kings ownership but rather from wanting to avoid backlash.. I mean, this same ownership didn’t give a rats ass when Ziggy Palffy beat his wife granted what Voynov did was 1000x worse

Jul 31, 2005
CA
The Kings avoided any and all backlash. Now the precedent has been set, ANY King player charged with domestic violence will immediately be cut loose. With domestic violence rates over 30% in the US this precedent is soon to be tested.

Reactions: RocketKing

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The guy has done his time and his wife is still with him.I could be wrong but if I remember right,his wife refused to testify and the DA decided to prosecute anyways.VV was going to fight it and decided to just make a deal.Enough of the SJW.Time to move on.If the Kings decide to move on from VV then so be it.If they choose to sign him I dont care either.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With the amount of time this has dragged on paired with the current status of the Kings as well as near-30 Voynov, yeah, this was the right decision. Clean start for everyone.

Also I mentioned it elsewhere but it was smart for the Kings from a PR perspective to get out ahead of this with a release so that the moment the NHL said "yeah voynov can play this year," people couldn't collectively turn their ire immediately towards LA and go "don't you dare, Kings."

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Well I don't really think the comment the Kings made means anything because from a PR stand point during an off season any news is big news. Especially drama. Them saying they look to move him is the only thing they should say to the public, however they can always lie and say no one wanted him so they had no choice but to play him.

Anyways, if they do plan on dumping him because of his past it wouldn't surprise me since BLuc seem like a bunch of cowards with the decisions they've been making.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Honestly, Kings should just take the flak, sign him, and then trade him. Maybe the Kings can get a bigger return for taking the heat on the signing.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
In another thread on this site, a poster was speculating that VV and the Kings are fighting over his rights, with the Kings trying to keep possession. I don’t care what anyone says about the player’s character, he’s an asset. I’ll be pissed if the Kings can’t get something in a trade for him and he is allowed to become a free agent.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well I don't really think the comment the Kings made means anything because from a PR stand point during an off season any news is big news. Especially drama. Them saying they look to move him is the only thing they should say to the public, however they can always lie and say no one wanted him so they had no choice but to play him.

Anyways, if they do plan on dumping him because of his past it wouldn't surprise me since BLuc seem like a bunch of cowards with the decisions they've been making.

I agree that they can do whatever they want from here, sure.

What I'm saying is with the NHL making the decision, the heat was passed to the Kings, and they preemptively said they don't want the hot potato, so who do people take their rage out on now? Voynov himself and the NHL's decision, rather than people picketing outside the AEG offices saying "don't bring back VV" or something.

I'm not evaluating it from a value/moral/asset perspective, just from a strictly PR perspective. That was a very CYA statement.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I agree that they can do whatever they want from here, sure.

What I'm saying is with the NHL making the decision, the heat was passed to the Kings, and they preemptively said they don't want the hot potato, so who do people take their rage out on now? Voynov himself and the NHL's decision, rather than people picketing outside the AEG offices saying "don't bring back VV" or something.

I'm not evaluating it from a value/moral/asset perspective, just from a strictly PR perspective. That was a very CYA statement.

I don't think AEG would worry about big bad PR for the Kings considering how insignificant they are in the media. With the Lakers it's a different story.

BamBam1031

Aug 8, 2008
I don't think AEG would worry about big bad PR for the Kings considering how insignificant they are in the media. With the Lakers it's a different story.

Jason Kidd says hello.

As for the original question, I think the Kings should handle Voynov's situation exclusively as asset management. If he doesn't fit with the retool/rebuild, get something for him. Don't let him go for nothing.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Jason Kidd says hello.

As for the original question, I think the Kings should handle Voynov's situation exclusively as asset management. If he doesn't fit with the retool/rebuild, get something for him. Don't let him go for nothing.

They'd be absolutely stupid to do anything else. If no one gives a good deal then play him.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It appears that few, if any of you, actually read the story linked in this post.

To be fair, the title suggests the issue is much more multifaceted than the story covers, as it's mostly focused on the rebuild.

Hard to really fault discussion that grows organically from responding to the much broader question the title poses.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
He should be sent to an Eastern Conference contender for a 4th round pick or better.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Kings did the right thing for the Kings as far as Voynov, as he doesn't fit into the immediate or long term plans of the Kings who intend to rebuild.

If they were vying to be contenders, this would be a more dynamic discussion (not that I don't appreciate the article, just that as we discuss the direction the Kings are going, it makes complete sense).

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I have a feeling that someone will. He is just too cheap and he's had everything thrown at him and he's come a long way to get back. His rights are not going to be worth much, but they will garner a least one call out of the league.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
To be fair, the title suggests the issue is much more multifaceted than the story covers, as it's mostly focused on the rebuild.

Hard to really fault discussion that grows organically from responding to the much broader question the title poses.

That's what usually happens all across the Internet with stories/titles, and not just my own.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I have a feeling that someone will. He is just too cheap and he's had everything thrown at him and he's come a long way to get back. His rights are not going to be worth much, but they will garner a least one call out of the league.

Am I correct in assuming that the Kings only have his rights until 7/1 and that any team they would trade his rights to would be similarly encumbered? If so, his value would be very low based upon similar types of trades. In this case even lower than normal because so few teams are thought to be interested in him. My guess is that he will become a free agent and MAYBE get a PTO from some team to come to their training camp in the fall.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Yeah, someone will take a chance with him, it will be news for a few days, then forgotten. If they can get something for his rights, fine, if not no big deal.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Honestly, Kings should just take the flak, sign him, and then trade him. Maybe the Kings can get a bigger return for taking the heat on the signing.

Flak? what flak?? LOL. No one in L.A. cares about VV one way or the other. Especially since he just finished his punishment (well, 41 games to sit out still)

The Kings should keep his rights and manage their asset - trade him or play him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Flak? what flak?? LOL. No one in L.A. cares about VV one way or the other. Especially since he just finished his punishment (well, 41 games to sit out still)

The Kings should keep his rights and manage their asset - trade him or play him.

The flak from the 50 or so dorks on the main boards that’ll piss and moan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad