Are The Jets Frauds?

Are The Jets Frauds?

• Total voters

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Chevy is the last person I'd accuse of coming up short, and I'll leave it at that.
ok so im willing to have my mind changed, but hear me out. if this team continues to fail to make a deep run in the playoffs, and the players are to blame, and chevy not only picks , signs, trades for them, but, in the case of our main core extends them, whos fault is it?

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
ok so im willing to have my mind changed, but hear me out. if this team continues to fail to make a deep run in the playoffs, and the players are to blame, and chevy not only picks , signs, trades for them, but, in the case of our main core extends them, whos fault is it?
Perfetti's!!! Wait...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'd have a tiered system of blame here - Chevy has some blame, sure, but it's not solely his fault. Like if I gave you a million dollars and told you Apple stock was about to take off, and you spent it elsewhere and wasted it, it's my fault for giving you that money but you're the one who took a good situation and squandered it.

Reactions: Buffdog

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Murat Ates wrote about this Ehlers on the top line conundrum a while ago in the athletic and his article has become oddly prophetic looking back

I can’t find it right now but it basically predicted, using the good old mathematical analyses, without an elite top line the Jets would struggle, and that there was a night and day difference between 27-55-13 and 81-55-13 for whatever myriad of reasons this year
Ates is right. This is a team made up of 2 second lines and 2 third lines which bodes well for the bottom six. Not so much for the top end of the line up.

No, they're just going through a rough patch.

Better now than in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Backing into the playoffs is not a good look.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It isn't that I mind them being bad - though I do mind that - but someone has to be.
What I can't take is the way they get my hopes up and then stomp all over them.

Fans can argue all day and night about what they need, what they need to do, what they need to change, refereeing, etc, etc. All I need them to do is to live up to the hype. They can do that by being better at the end of the season. Or they can do it by generating less hype to begin with. I don't give a rat's patoot which.

Are they frauds? Sure look like it.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Said it before but Bowness's system is excellent when it works, but when it does not this is what you get. All you need is a few players negating their responsibilities and it can fracture the whole thing. The way it is structured is dependant on buy-in, which is a glaring vulnerability when players prioritizing self first over their assignments.

So, fraud? No. That isn't pretending to be something it is not.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Bowness has created his own issues. He started off well with treating everyone the same. Now he’s pulling a Maurice and allow Scheifele and Connor to be untouchables. In addition he’s blind for Stanley which I will NEVER understand. How can Samberg sit out for him?!!! Frustrating!!!

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Bowness has created his own issues. He started off well with treating everyone the same. Now he’s pulling a Maurice and allow Scheifele and Connor to be untouchables. In addition he’s blind for Stanley which I will NEVER understand. How can Samberg sit out for him?!!! Frustrating!!!
Cuz Samberg has pooped the bed lately, but Stanley haters will never change their minds. To think that either Samberg or Stanley is the reason this team is losing is beyond nuts. All the old bad habits have crept back in. Period.

Reactions: GNP and Heldig

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Cuz Samberg has pooped the bed lately, but Stanley haters will never change their minds. To think that either Samberg or Stanley is the reason this team is losing is beyond nuts. All the old bad habits have crept back in. Period.
Samberg has made more mistakes than he had moat of the year. And Stanley has been really solid over the almost exact same time frame.

And yeah, the issues run deeper than which 3rd pair guy is dressing each night.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
idk if they're frauds, they can still ramp it up in the POs. However, to-date they have not replicated their December level-of-play. that's like 3+ months ago and pre TDL, they've essentially acquired 3 new top-6ers since then that were supposed to improve from the incumbents, and that has not come to fruition in my view. not to mention, the defensive play has kind of fallen off quite a bit.

this team has the pieces to have 3 pretty solid scoring lines. but inconsistency of Lowry's line (which is the quintessential 2nd line) offensively is why slumps can be so tumultuous imo. if the top line is not buzzing, then it makes it v hard since they're getting majority of the mins, then Lowry's line is usually close in minutes to the "second line." I like Lowry for his play w/o the puck + physicality but i just don't see the offensive creativity from him to help drive scoring consistently.

similar to last season, the 3rd line got off to a hot start and then cooled off considerably (remember the 40 game goalless drought). i think we've seen the same this year. all 3 of them have gone through near-20 game droughts (believe it was 15 for Nino, 20+ for Lowry and Appleton). But will say in the POs Lowry was v good last year, so that is still possible again where he can score in the POs for us.

I have liked Scheifele's play this year. his defensive stats have not been good but large part of that may be who he has played a lot of mins with (ie: connor again rates poorly). Offensively he's a a mid-to-low end 1C - 16th in 5v5 pts, 23rd at all strengths.

i've been saying it for a few years: scheifele used to be a top 10 C easily w/o a question. probably just outside top-5 (from 2016-2018). but i think players have ascended him where he/his line are no longer a clear-cut advantage, & if the depth isn't coming through then it spells trouble. these are the western conference PO teams' 1Cs for instance

Mackinnon, Hintz, Pettersson, McDavid, Kopitar, ROR, Eichel. How many of them would you really take scheifele over?

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I will reserve judgement until game 2 of the playoffs. I think it's unfair to write them off now as we get an 82 game sample in the season and for most of the sample they were quite good. Let's give them a chance to impress us when the games are for keepsies.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This season does seem very similar to our Canadian division year. We were basically 3.5-1 to beat the Oilers going into that round one matchup.

They played smart, committed hockey for a couple games and were able to win the games at home when the defense started to crack. Unfortunately that inconsistency popped up in round two, and of course we had no Scheifele.

I'm afraid for this year because Colorado addressed two weak spots with excellent upgrades and have been on fire ever since. They aren't a one line team like Edmonton with mediocre D that year. Not anymore anyway.

Even if we make it through round one, we will get who? Winner of Dallas/ and Nashville/Vegas. Eeeek lol. It's not our game when we are on I worry about, it's that we haven't sustained a high level of play for a stretch of games in more than 3 months

Reactions: GNP

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The amount if times I say 'motherf*ckrr' while watching games these days... I'd say they're freuds

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Samberg has made more mistakes than he had moat of the year. And Stanley has been really solid over the almost exact same time frame.

And yeah, the issues run deeper than which 3rd pair guy is dressing each night.

I sometimes wonder how much confidence is impacted when you take a younger player who's playing well out of the lineup. Snerg seems to have struggled since being pulled out. Could be a coincidence or an injury but too me it looks like a lack of confidence.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I sometimes wonder how much confidence is impacted when you take a younger player who's playing well out of the lineup. Snerg seems to have struggled since being pulled out. Could be a coincidence or an injury but too me it looks like a lack of confidence.
Yup and when you lack confidence you over think it trying not to make mistakes and you make mistakes.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I absolutely think that played a part but can't say for sure

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Did I say that it was the reason they’re losing? I’m just giving examples of Bowness’s blind spots and stupidity. Samberg pooping the bed? You’re either not watching this team very much and creating a narrative, or you don’t know what you’re talking about.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I don't know guys. It seems to be that some people change their expectations more often than they change their underwear. Before the season started, a lot of people expected the worst.

Then all of a sudden it clicked and we beat everyone. At one point we were even the best team in the whole league. What is the reality? Were we really the best team in the NHL? Personally I don't think so. Not at all. So my expectations were never too high to begin with.

However, we are very streaky. And if we get hot in the playoffs, we could kick some serious ass.

I know it can be very frustrating. Sometimes we play like the 2nd coming of Jesus, then we play like the Swiss national team against Germany. I love consistency as much as the next guy and that's the thing I criticize the most.

With that being said, still no one wants to play us in the playoffs. Everybody knows that when we get hot, we get super extra spicy hot and capable of anything. We are not frauds, we are more like double agents.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
I don't know guys. It seems to be that some people change their expectations more often than they change their underwear. Before the season started, a lot of people expected the worst.

Then all of a sudden it clicked and we beat everyone. At one point we were even the best team in the whole league. What is the reality? Were we really the best team in the NHL? Personally I don't think so. Not at all. So my expectations were never too high to begin with.

However, we are very streaky. And if we get hot in the playoffs, we could kick some serious ass.

I know it can be very frustrating. Sometimes we play like the 2nd coming of Jesus, then we play like the Swiss national team against Germany. I love consistency as much as the next guy and that's the thing I criticize the most.

With that being said, still no one wants to play us in the playoffs. Everybody knows that when we get hot, we get super extra spicy hot and capable of anything. We are not frauds, we are more like double agents.
I think that the Jets are explained by the difficulty of play ramping up as the season progresses. Not them randomly going hot and cold. They have shown us their reality year-after-year. They don’t have the talent or compete mentality when things get tough. It’s easier to just play like they could care less, and exit with a whimper.

What they are doing this year is no different than the failures in the recent past. I think they will prove to be an easy out in Round 1. Again. And most of them could care less when that happens.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think that the Jets are explained by the difficulty of play ramping up as the season progresses. Not them randomly going hot and cold. They have shown us their reality year-after-year. They don’t have the talent or compete mentality when things get tough. It’s easier to just play like they could care less, and exit with a whimper.

What they are doing this year is no different than the failures in the recent past. I think they will prove to be an easy out in Round 1. Again. And most of them could care less when that happens.
That may be, in which case the team is screwed for the long term. The leadership (or lack there of) was supposedly addressed in the off season. Got rid of Wheeler, got rid of the malcontent Dubois, made gritty Lowry the captain, and signed the 2 UFA to be stars to long term contracts.

Hellebucyk has delivered. Scheifele looked like a new player. All was good. Until it wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad