Are the Flyers bringing back the Broad Street Bully mentality?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I hope so ! Nothing wrong with the old bullies attitude and success, it still sells to this day !

Attitude is the key word. Every line wants to bring it every shift. I like what Homer is putting together. Really jacked about this team. I hope the room is loose. Plus they are starting to stockpile some young talent in the system. The Pronger trade and injury really set the team back, but they are moving forward. The addition of Vincent Lecavalier and what he brings to the team should not be over looked. This team will be a pisser to play against!.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
The year Boston won the Cup, they were a well disciplined team that was below league average in PIM. Since then, they have drifted up the penalty rankings, and have failed to win the Cup again. This isn't an accident.

Being "tough" doesn't win hockey games. Scoring goals wins hockey games. The Bruins won a Cup because they scored key goals and had a goalie on fire.

There's a team called the Detroit Red Wings that you can totally go be a fan of instead.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You lost me at when you inferred that Lecavalier was signed to bring back the Broad Street Bullies image.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
• Signed Ray Emery to be a back-up / goon.

Seriously, though, the BSB mentality never really went away: the Flyers' bread and butter is, like Bobby Clarke famously said, to take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humour. Size and toughness will always be an important ingredient – emphasis on ingredient – in the success of an NHL roster. We heard how the scouts keyed on Morin's toughness and mean streak in episode 1 of Flight Plan.

Now, if by BSB mentality you mean brawling every game or swinging sticks, the significant rule revisions since the 1970s make this a failing approach. That part of hockey is gone, probably forever, in the NHL. But this isn't the only metric of toughness: the Flyers kept at the Penguins every game in 2012 and the Penguins came apart. That's the refined method of the new-and-improved BSBs: make it difficult for the opposition to play, make them grip their sticks a bit tighter when they have the puck, make them fight for every inch in your zone. This, too, is what is largely missing consistently from the recent line-ups. Opposition teams are enjoying puck possession and movement in the Flyers end. But I digress.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Have a hard time buying into "it's goaltending plain and simple" when Marc-Andre Fleury, Chris Osgood, and Cam Ward have their name on the Cup. Doesn't hurt, but we can stop pretending that an all-star level goaltender is required. Maybe they have to play to that level at times, especially in the playoffs, but the three names I just listed I wouldn't call "esteemed."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad