Are the elite rookies of last 2 years more impressive than those 10/20years ago?

delled

Oct 3, 2009
First of all eliminate “generational players” because that’s not what I’m arguing. McJesus, Ovy, Sid and Geno are NOT in this discussion.

When I say elite, I’m talking future hall of famers or guys just outside the cusp of it.

I’m saying in today’s typical roster the average goalie or defence man is way more talented than previous eras. For a rookie (again non-generational)to stand out from the crowd in today’s game means the second tier greats in today’s game means have something special going on?

I actually favour the 90s stars (nostalgia and and creativity and all that) but when I think of their peers and coaching strategies back then compared to today it’s an interesting debate eh?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I didn't watch hockey in the late 90s, but based on stats and just common sense, yes, rookies today are much more league prepared.

Athleticism in all sports has been dramatically increased. The average OHL player is bigger, stronger, and faster, than the average NHL player a few decades back. 18 year olds today are a lot more physically mature than 18 year olds in the 90s. Heck, an argument could be made for even the mid 2000s on average.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
if the rules of 20 years ago still applied wonder how some of the current guys would look.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The late 90s were a disaster for development because the game was hostile to the development of young players and skill at the NHL level and probably below.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
I would say overall yeah. The fact that you can get really good 2nd rounders today whereas compared to before 2nd rounders were an afterthought speaks volumes of the player development and how far its progressed in the past 20 years.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
This is an easy yes for me.

Speed is more important in today's NHL than it ever has been, the game is faster and a young rookie with good speed is able to succeed much easier today than they would have been able to 10+ years ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad