Are the Edmonton Oilers the real deal?

Are the Oilers a playoff team?

• Total voters

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Nothing against the Oilers, but I think they have the same problem as my Habs, aka shitty defense. I think both team will miss, sadly

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Don’t they usually have a good start before falling flat? This thread just feels familiar...

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably gonna go 82-0

but it's a little bit concerning to see James Neal go from a 164 goal pace to a 143 goal pace to now a pace of 115

at this rate he might not even hit 100 goals

Reactions: MC2D and valet

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Still early, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising with the way the Pacific is. With McDavid and Draisaitl providing the offense they do, they just need the rest of the lineup to battle to a draw, and I think that's more likely under Tippett.

Reactions: McFlash97

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's way too early to say anything for sure. All I know is that Tippett has the team playing the best 200 foot hockey I've seen the team play for as long as I've followed the Oilers. That is very encouraging. The defense is however very young and inexperienced so it depends quite a bit on how they'll look throughout the season as well as the goaltending, but it certainly helps to have buy-in from everyone, including the forwards.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nothing against the Oilers, but I think they have the same problem as my Habs, aka ****ty defense. I think both team will miss, sadly
Nurse and Klefbom have been studly so far. Bear and Persson on the right side are giving us our best play there so far I can remember seeing in a long time.

So far, so good. Defense isn't an issue at the moment.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Nothing against the Oilers, but I think they have the same problem as my Habs, aka ****ty defense. I think both team will miss, sadly

I think that's a bit harsh on them. It might not be a great defence, but Klefbom and Nurse have turned into pretty solid defensemen, and Russell on a bottom pairing is fine. Then you have some young guys stepping up and bringing some of that offensive puck moving to the Oilers blue line that they have been missing for a long time. I would say it's a decent D as a group. Some of them are just starting to really come into their own.

I mean they're certainly not an elite team at this point, but if their goaltending doesn't crap the bed and the special teams remain strong no reason they can't be in the playoff mix. They do have a couple elite offensive guys who are hard to keep off the scoresheet.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'll wait and see. They've played some easier teams and the wins have been come from behind. Not like they have dominated games

I'll enjoy the wins but long term this season they'll need to improve in major areas to make playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad