Are the Bruins cup chances better in a shortened season?

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Does a 48-50 game schedule help or hinder the Bruins' chances of winning the Stanley Cup?

Here are some factors that I have been bouncing around in my head. Since most of my friends are Leafs fans, I'd like to get a Bruin-centric opinion.

Is the Bruins physical style better suited for an abbreviated season? On the surface I thought this was a no-brained. Of course it is. But, less games means each game is that much more intense. Will they wear out come playoff time with the raised intensity in the regular season? Personally, I think they should be ok because they roll 4 lines more than most teams.

Then, you have Tuukka Rask. The knock that many have on him is his durability. IF there is a legitimate reason for concern we shouldn't have to worry this season right? Well, take into account that he has played in Europe so that has to be taken into consideration. Should we be concerned about his durability or is that just an unfounded stigma?

Dougie Hamilton had an extra 4-5 months to work on his game in Niagara so that should be a plus but how will he react to a completely different pace in such a short time? Because he has played so much will he still hit the dreaded rookie wall? I don't think he will just because I don't think he'll play enough to wear down.

Most of Boston's key players played in Europe during the lockout so would we even consider this a shortened season for them? If not, does this raise concern that they may be more worn down than other teams come playoff time? Admittedly, I don't know how many players from other teams went over.

Like I said, I've been wrestling with some of these questions today and I'd love to hear your opinions.

Cheers.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Really, I guess we'll see.

In a full season our chances are pretty good anyway. Without Thomas, this is going only going to be Rask's 2nd year as a starter, the first year he only played 45, not as much as most starters as well. It's also going to be Khudobin's first season as backup on any NHL team, but I think he's definitely ready and capable of playing 20 games in a full season.

A shortened season allows the load to be a lot lighter, as he doesn't have to go from an average of 26 games the last two seasons to 60.

Depending on the durability of Chara, which may or may not get worse every season, it might leave him with more gas for the playoffs, too.

Does it benefit us? Maybe a little. But there's really no way I see where it can affect us negatively. (In the very short time I've thought about it. There might be.)

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
I think the shortened season benefits them because they are a veteran team with little turnover in personnel. However, I think the compressed schedule can cause problems with injuries. I'm especially worried about Rask; Khudobin will have to get more starts than he normally would even if Rask stays healthy, but I'm pretty optimistic about his potential. The injuries they had last year really showed in the playoffs. So I don't think overall it will be a factor one way or the other since the shortened season has a compressed schedule.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I think it sets up pretty well for the B's:

-alot of their guys have been playing overseas including their top guys. They won't be rusty yet shouldn't be too tired as the schedule is less intense and most have been off for awhile now.Just having a season at all is good for the Bruins who are a contender type right now.

-as mentioned little turnover, system change is an advantage compared to a new team trying to overhaul their system in a week.

-I don't think the physical style is better over a shortened season though as the schedule will probably be more concentrated.

member 96824

Worse IMO. But it depends on how tight the schedule is. If its really tight, there are some things that work against us, namely the age of our D and the question mark of Doby in net getting significant time and Rasks durability questions.

I also dont like the lack of camp. Maybe I am a bit pessimistic but these are the things I worry about if the schedule is compressed

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Goaltending is key. We'll have to see how Tuukka and Dobby do. Also we'll be short McQuaid for awhile and Hamilton will make the usual rookie mistakes while learning the NHL.

Another thing to consider: any lengthy Shannabans (like 5 or more games) could hurt a team more in a shortened season. It will be interesting to see how suspensions are handled this year as opposed to last.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
i think Goaltending is key,I like fact Bruins have pretty well same roster,That will be HUGE !,another thing is they only play eastern teams ,,thats interesting .

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I think a shortened season makes it so that any team has a decent shot. I still recall a few years age when the laffs got off to a hot start. Had the season ended at the halfway point, they would have been in the playoffs. Were they serious contenders, not by a long shot. But you never know what can happen in the PO's.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
I think a shortened season helps us more than some other teams.

We're more plodding and methodical. And while getting that particular style down perfect does take time, we're a "basics" club, and basics come quicker to professionals than more offensive schemes.

Teams that need to get their timing down, their "super stars" hot and rolling, and their high powered offense "clicking" aren't going to have as much time to do these things. Teams that rely on a single player for a lot of their offense better hope those guys find their stride and find it quick. And don't lose it for an extended period of time during a shortened season.

It does however mean less physical teams won't be as worn down. But neither will we, so I consider that a wash.

Niz Bruin

Oct 7, 2008
Perth, Australia
I still recall a few years age when the laffs got off to a hot start. Had the season ended at the halfway point, they would have been in the playoffs. Were they serious contenders, not by a long shot. But you never know what can happen in the PO's.

Isnt that the description for every Leafs season? :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think the shortened season benefits them because they are a veteran team with little turnover in personnel. However, I think the compressed schedule can cause problems with injuries. I'm especially worried about Rask; Khudobin will have to get more starts than he normally would even if Rask stays healthy, but I'm pretty optimistic about his potential. The injuries they had last year really showed in the playoffs. So I don't think overall it will be a factor one way or the other since the shortened season has a compressed schedule.

Injuries will be prevelant accross the board for all team IMO, we`re going to see plenty of them. I seem to recall a ton during the last stoppage

Does the long layoff help/hurt them? We`ll see is the only answer I can think of, can probably list 10 reasons why it won`t, and 10 reasons why it could

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The answer is no because the Rangers who are our biggest competition in the East got a huge gift in the late start and extra rest.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I'm not sure it does. 3 out of 4 top wingers haven't played in a year (Horton, Lucic, Marchand). Krejci will pull his hair out.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think that if the schedule leans heavily towards divisional play, it favors them in the regular season because the Northeast Division is weak. Hopefully Pittsburgh, New York Rangers and Philadelphia beat up on each other.

On the bad side, I think that the B's are incredibly thin up front and on defense, and I don't entirely trust Rask as the starter.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I think that if the schedule leans heavily towards divisional play, it favors them in the regular season because the Northeast Division is weak. Hopefully Pittsburgh, New York Rangers and Philadelphia beat up on each other.

On the bad side, I think that the B's are incredibly thin up front and on defense, and I don't entirely trust Rask as the starter.

Is this for real ?

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Yes, it benefits the Bs...no one can play half a season like the Boston Bruins can :sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, while many teams will be trying to integrate new pieces during a shortened pre-season, the Bruins will be ready to go. And this time we don't have to worry about any "Cup Hangover."

I am expecting a strong start to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad