Are the Blue Jackets for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
As did I......and every playoff game between the teams since as well......but nah....no-one travels for the cbj smh

Perhaps the difference is CBJ fans are less obnoxious therefore less noticeable? A good number of my friends are Pens fans and they're all obnoxious. ;)

I went to many CBJ games in Pittsburgh with my dad.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The Oilers should send Columbus an apology for playing what may the most uninspired game of hockey seen by them all year.

What should have been an exciting hard fought push them to the limits to see how good they are.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
You must not get out to all the games.

I'll tell you this, from someone who was a Pens fan first from 1967-2000. Most Pens fans at Nationwide are people like me, expats from WPA or the ORV who make our home here now but who, unlike me, did not make the decision to cast me lot with my new hometown's team (which is fine, I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong). So let's not get silly over traveling fans in this case.

And I've not been to a Pens-Jackets game at Mellon or Consol where I've been the only person rooting for the visitors. Admittedly there are not many, but again, there aren't a whole lot of Central Ohio transplants in WPA.

As for the rules of the streak and who claims what, I don't see anyone claiming anything other than a certain number of wins in a row. Besides, we don't really make the rules of how the streaks are considered historically, do we? Add to that it all becomes moot if the Caps knock off the Jackets tonight, so why all the fuss?

In the end, this thread isn't about the streak anyway, as someone point out a couple pages back. It was made before the streak even started.

I'm a Pens season ticket holder and no, I don't see many CBJ fans in Pittsburgh. If you think it's even comparable, I don't know what to tell you.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
They are a really solid team. Just like they were supposed to be before last season.

I don't think they are this good, but no team is.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Super funny reading all the pundits (insert specific poster or poster of specific team(s)) trying to belittle what the CBJ are doing during this historic streak. Yes historic. No matter what you think of this streak, when this ends, when you look up in the NHL record books you will find at or near the top of the chart under most wins in a row in NHL history the 2016-17 Columbus Blue Jackets ____ wins in a row. It's not going to disappear until some team goes above theirs. Embrace it. You have no choice.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Cheapest pair of tickets for Rangers game is $560/pair. Singles available starting around $125 in upper levels.

That's some serious cheddar! Can you comment on the general public interest in the streak? Are non-hockey people excited about (or even aware of) the streak?

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
People who picked CBJ players in their pools must be unbearable right now:

"They laughed at me for picking Atkinson and Foligno! LAUGHED! Now who's laughing?!? Bow before your king, peasants! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Record is "best NHL win streak ever". Not "best NHL win streak ever, playing under rulings in play during 1992/1993". Can not apply 1992/1993 NHL rulings to wins happen in 2016/2017 under 2016/2017 NHL rulings.

And the comparisons I was commenting on weren't about the context of the league rules, it was about quality of teams, which is ridiculous. There's a massive difference between bolstering a streak because there are no ties and one team always wins and doing well because you have better players. The NHL isn't going to put asterisks for these records to say one is real and one isn't, just as they aren't going to for Holtby and Brodeur's record, but does change the context of the record the same way the Pens having OT is something to keep in mind. Having Mario Lemieux is not the same type of context.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
That's some serious cheddar! Can you comment on the general public interest in the streak? Are non-hockey people excited about (or even aware of) the streak?

Tuesday's game vs Edmonton was 2nd most watched CBJ game on Tv locally since their inaugural game in October 2000. I've been a season ticket holder all 16 years and have friends who barely followed the CBJ calling and texting me. Ohio isn't hockey illiterate. We have 3 division I NCAA hockey teams and every decent size city has had minor league hockey for decades. Just the first time there's been a competitive team on the ice The CBJ sold out their first 3 seasons and then the poor management just turned fans away. No different than early 2000s Pens, Blues or Hawks and their 12,000 average attendance per game except they got out of the cellar. CBJ will have butts in seats if they maintain a competitive team.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I think Columbus is a lot better than they're going to get credit for, I think a lot of people see this win streak as a bit of a fluke but I think Columbus is a legitimate contender now. Werenski and Wennberg have impressed me from what I've seen and if Bobrovsky can sustain his stellar play, they will be tough to beat. The east playoffs are going to be **** show this year, no favourable matchups IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad