Are the Avs a "fairweather" fanbase?

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
One common jab that fans of opposing teams make about the Avalanche fanbase is that we're a fairweather fanbase, only supporting the team when they're good. Now I'm not here to give bread to the haters, I'm only here to discuss with the fans. I find the topic at hand to be fascinating and worth discussing, so I'd appreciate to hear your input on the matter.

Granted, the Avs attendance has been lower in the '10s than it was back in the '90s and '00s, when the team was very good and constantly making the second round or higher. Our attendance has commonly dropped into the bottom 6 throughout this past decade, when we were constantly missing the playoffs or falling out in the first round. NBC even compared the loud and enthusiastic home crowd we had in the second round against San Jose to the home crowds we had in the '90s and '00s.

Truth is, any franchise is naturally going to have higher attendance when the team is winning or in the playoffs rather than when they're losing. Even Canadian teams can struggle to draw when their team isn't doing well, like Ottawa this past season. Yes, I know in Ottawa's case there's also the Kanata factor, but Kanata is still an in-reach driving distance, you can't deny the Sens' awful season also played a major role in their decline in attendance. Ticket prices are not free, they may be cheap at times, but you're still paying money for a product that will either excite or disappoint, and likely money on snacks and drinks on top of that, money that could be going to paying your taxes, mortgage, water, electricity, etc.

If you ask me, however, I believe the real reason our attendance has been so low throughout the '10s is that the franchise is very young, and came in like a fad.
The teams that usually have high attendance regardless of "rain or shine" are the older franchises, like the Original 6 or the older expansion franchises.

With the Original 6 teams for example, if you're a local fan born in the 1990s, than likely you'd have generations of fans in your family going back to your Great-Great-Grandparents that were also local fans, and the generations in between would've grown up going to these games and wanting to pass down these cherished memories onto the next generation, so it's not just local fandom, but also sentimental value.

For a local Avs fan born in the 1990s, the ones that would've started getting into the team would've been their parents, and they would've been taking part in a fad. Let's not lie to ourselves, the Avs were a fad, like Pogs, when they first came to Denver. They were a hot new franchise that was winning, they had a cool rad logo, they were bringing home championships, something that not even the Broncos had done until afterwards, and they were the "cool" thing to like. Once the team sank and the fad affect wore off, the attendance sank as well.

I also believe the Vegas Golden Knights are the modern equivalent of what the Avs were back in the late '90s and early '00s. Right now, they are a fad. They are the hot new franchise with a cool rad logo that is winning and has become the "cool" thing to like, only differences are that they're expansion and not relocation, and that although they made the Final, they didn't win a cup in their initial year, unlike the Avs. I also believe the fad affect is going to hurt the Knights more in the long run than it did to the Avs, since Vegas is not a natural hockey market.

Overall, the issue isn't so much that the Avs are a fairweather fanbase, they're really no more fairweather than most other fanbases in the league, but rather that they're still developing, and I think this second honeymoon should help the team stay afloat in attendance, at least so they're far from the bottom 6, for years to come, as the franchise is garnering new appreciation from both Gen X fans that popularized the team in the first place, as well as Millennial and Gen Z fans that are popularizing the team again.
Colorado is a natural market for hockey, as it's 4-season, a hot spot for winter sports, and has one of the best colleges for hockey in the country. Not only that, but I saw more people wearing Avs gear than Nuggets gear when both teams were in the playoffs, and the Nuggets were the second seed in the west, while the Avs were the bottom seed in the entire playoffs! Truly, I believe this second honeymoon is the best thing that could happen for the team, as now they're an appreciated franchise rather than a fad.

Anyways, that's my input, what is yours?
Let me know in the comments below.

Reactions: Lavina21

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Meh, every team in the world has bandwagon fans. But the ones that stick around I definitely think more of. If someone goes through being a fan of 5 different teams in 5 years it's like yeah go **** yourself, just admit you're a jumper.

Truer words were never said.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
It's not so much that the Avs fans are bandwagoners. More that Denver is a relatively small city/metro area with a bunch of teams, and the fanbases overlap.

Most recent season per-game attendance for the local top level pro teams
Broncos: 76,446
Rockies: 36,829*
Nuggets: 18,450
Avalanche: 17,132
Rapids: 14,154*
Mammoth: 12,815
Outlaws: 11,567*

*current season in progress

Just because some fans would rather watch the Rockies or Mammoth or Nuggets win than the Avs lose in a down year doesn't mean they're no longer Avs fans.

There are only so many asses to fill seats in the Denver Metro area.

Denver is the smallest city, by far, with a team in each of the big four leagues. Then there's also MLS, NLL, MLL, minor leagues, CU/CSU/DU/AFA college sports, etc.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I hopped on the Avs wagon in 2010, right when things were starting to go down the shitter. I haven't known what it's like winning the Cup yet, but I'll be ecstatic and will probably cry when the Avs win another one.

As for the common fan, yes, they are fairweather. Denver is a football town first and foremost, and when the other sports teams are doing poorly, no one pays them any attention whatsoever.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Meh, every team in the world has bandwagon fans. But the ones that stick around I definitely think more of. If someone goes through being a fan of 5 different teams in 5 years it's like yeah go **** yourself, just admit you're a jumper.

Boring way to live. Victory tastes so much better after years of struggle.

(I hope we win again at some point.) This team has potential for it!

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Been a fan since they moved to Denver and I was the ripe old age of 6 years old. Used to watch games with my Dad and liked the Avs because of Sakic and Forsberg. I was a child in Michigan at the time too which made things interesting, to say the least, when I worse my Avs jersey to school haha. I actually remember getting a detention one day in elementary school and the teacher told me that I should have been suspended just for wearing that jersey lol.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think every fan base has some bandwagon fans, but I like to think Avalanche nation is loyal.

I don’t live in Colorado, so I’m going to defer judgement to the locals. They would know better than I would.

I was just a little one when the Avs won their first cup and they became the first sports team I cheered for because I wanted to be a goalie like Patrick Roy (spoiler alert, it never happened). But, the Avs have always been my favourite team from any sport.

As a sports fan the wins don’t mean as much if you don’t ride with a team through the dark times. The suffering is what makes the victories, oh so sweet.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't really care to measure the legitimacy of one fan to another or one fanbase to another. Even the most hockey-mad markets can go quiet as a cemetery during lean years, so who the hell cares? Do I think the super-low attendance figures in Sunrise are concerning? Yeah, but I think that has largely to do with a badly-run franchise and the dumb idea to put the rink an hour outside Miami. Football can get away with putting stadiums in suburbs, the people will still come. They don't do it for hockey, even in Ottawa, Ontario. Same problem is happening in Arizona, which I just wish the damned NHL would make a decision on one way or another.

I think the Avs had bad attendance in the 2010s was because there wasn't much of anything to watch. The organization flat-out said they weren't going to spend until the new CBA was in place (and even then they wouldn't do so until they felt it was time to truly move forward) and cut spending down to the bone, which was readily apparent in their nonexistent marketing. There was simply no buzz about the team apart from two fluke runs to the postseason they failed to build off of.

FTR, sure, I stayed and watched for the most part, but I don't blame anyone for not sticking around while they toiled in mediocrity for over a decade. And I turned away in late 2016 when they went from barely-hanging-on to we're-gonna-lose-all-the-games. There was no reason to subject myself to that torture. If some of you did so, great, but it ain't like any of y'all got a special badge for it.

I will say that with the rebuilds of both the Avs and Nuggets appearing to go very well there is unprecedented buzz around Pepsi Center. We've never had both teams at this point at the same time before. These could really be exciting times for the sports scene there, and for once I'm kinda glad that the Broncos aren't getting all the press (unless The Fan is involved). I think attendance for both teams will be fantastic going forward so long as they continue to be well-marketed and well-managed, and ticket prices don't rise astronomically.

As for the Rockies, well...there's one instance where the luster of a beautiful venue and a party deck can allow you to skimp on building an actual winner.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW, I would readily welcome bandwagoners. The worst kind of fans are the ones who treat their fandom like a religion, those folks usually can't address anything about the team or the sport with any amount of rational thought (thankfully no one here, but I think you can figure out one example). Even worse are the ones who boast that they root for an Original Six Team, which really doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned, and besides, is an inaccurate term.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
I was literally a season ticket holder from day one. The day they announced the team was moving from Quebec, I put down a deposit for a full set of season tickets. After the 48 point season, I cancelled and switched to an 11 game plan. I am still a fan, but some of the people I split with did not want to continue and I had a tough time finding someone else to go to the games (and pay for their ticket) when my wife could not go. Tickets are expensive and if the quality of the product on the ice is not good, there are better ways to spend that money. Attendance is not always the best way to judge support for a team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
BTW, I would readily welcome bandwagoners. The worst kind of fans are the ones who treat their fandom like a religion, those folks usually can't address anything about the team or the sport with any amount of rational thought (thankfully no one here, but I think you can figure out one example). Even worse are the ones who boast that they root for an Original Six Team, which really doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned, and besides, is an inaccurate term.

The “biggest fans” of any team are the worst because nothing can be discussed in an unbiased manner. People who are just as much fans of the sport as they are they’re favorite team have the best combination being able to root for their team but still be able to look at things from outside their specific bubble.

And I think everyone here is pretty good at looking at the Avs and players/teams around the league in a pretty practical manner and without being too biased. And that makes the discussions here way more enjoyable even if my opinions are clearly better than yours. :sarcasm:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There are a lot of old time Avs fans here in CO and in the surrounding region. Not everyone makes it to the Can for games as there's a lot of competition for entertainment dollars here.

Lots of people move to CO and adopt the Avs even though they were raised as fans of other teams. That's totally cool because the Avs are truly their homegrown team now.

My old hockey partner is a Hawks fan. And he's an Avs fan. So he cheers for both teams at games. No cheering for the Hawks though if I'm around.

If you're a bandwagon Avs fan then at least you're cheering for the right team.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I don't really care to measure the legitimacy of one fan to another or one fanbase to another. Even the most hockey-mad markets can go quiet as a cemetery during lean years, so who the hell cares? Do I think the super-low attendance figures in Sunrise are concerning? Yeah, but I think that has largely to do with a badly-run franchise and the dumb idea to put the rink an hour outside Miami. Football can get away with putting stadiums in suburbs, the people will still come. They don't do it for hockey, even in Ottawa, Ontario. Same problem is happening in Arizona, which I just wish the damned NHL would make a decision on one way or another.

I think the Avs had bad attendance in the 2010s was because there wasn't much of anything to watch. The organization flat-out said they weren't going to spend until the new CBA was in place (and even then they wouldn't do so until they felt it was time to truly move forward) and cut spending down to the bone, which was readily apparent in their nonexistent marketing. There was simply no buzz about the team apart from two fluke runs to the postseason they failed to build off of.

FTR, sure, I stayed and watched for the most part, but I don't blame anyone for not sticking around while they toiled in mediocrity for over a decade. And I turned away in late 2016 when they went from barely-hanging-on to we're-gonna-lose-all-the-games. There was no reason to subject myself to that torture. If some of you did so, great, but it ain't like any of y'all got a special badge for it.

I will say that with the rebuilds of both the Avs and Nuggets appearing to go very well there is unprecedented buzz around Pepsi Center. We've never had both teams at this point at the same time before. These could really be exciting times for the sports scene there, and for once I'm kinda glad that the Broncos aren't getting all the press (unless The Fan is involved). I think attendance for both teams will be fantastic going forward so long as they continue to be well-marketed and well-managed, and ticket prices don't rise astronomically.

As for the Rockies, well...there's one instance where the luster of a beautiful venue and a party deck can allow you to skimp on building an actual winner.

Every fan base is fair weather to an extent, just b/c it’s easier and more fun to pay attention when your team is winning as opposed to losing.

South Florida is by far the worst/biggest fair weather fans in the entire country, and that’s across all sports not just panthers.
Avs fans are nothing like this thankfully.

As you said, the panthers’ have been run terribly, so they can’t get ppl to go games. Also, Miami is a weird and generally apathetic market. While being out in sunrise hurts, I’m not so sure that they’d even do any better located in Miami. Look at the Marlins - they’re in the heart of little Havana (not the most ideal location but a ton more ppl), and nobody ever goes to those games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Out of the teams in Colorado besides the Broncos, I suggest that Avs have biggest hardcore fans which will actually stick around and watch the team even during losing seasons. Which I admit doesn't mean much because every team besides the NFL is a bandwagon team.

And no, Rockies are not the second most popular team in Colorado. I laugh when I read these posts. This isn't a negative towards them, MLB, or baseball. It's just that 2nd place is the team who is winning the most which realistically could be the Rockies. They were more popular than the Avs or Nuggets after their run to the World Series.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’m disappointed the Denver Metro Area hasn’t been able to support a minor league hockey franchise. I really thought the Cutthroats were gonna take off but they were over and done in record time.

It’s really remarkable what the Eagles have built in Loveland though..however that fan base has never known a season without playoffs! Hopefully they become an elite AHL franchise the same time the Avs are going for a Cup, and then Colorado can keep All The Hockey Trophies forever.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Every team has fans that will mostly care when the team is good, even Toronto and Montreal. I remember how it looked in Chicago when they were rolling out the ABC line fifteen years ago.

Denver has solid support for Avs but it helps when the team is winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad