Are the Arizona Coyotes about to have a historically bad season?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
considering tampa's cups were heavily influenced from drafting lecavalier #1 overall, and then drafting stamkos and hedman at #1 and #2 overall.

so the nhl rewards incompetence and luck.

otherwise the penguins would not have gotten lemieux, jagr, crosby and malkin, and the oilers wouldn't have had gretzky, kurri, messier, coffey, and now mcdavid and draisaitl.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
considering tampa's cups were heavily influenced from drafting lecavalier #1 overall, and then drafting stamkos and hedman at #1 and #2 overall.

so the nhl rewards incompetence and luck.

otherwise the penguins would not have gotten lemieux, jagr, crosby and malkin, and the oilers wouldn't have had gretzky, kurri, messier, coffey, and now mcdavid and draisaitl.

Eh, Gretzky was a free agent not a draft pick. And Messier wasn't a high pick.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
i was thinking of randomness. the gretzky era owner, peter pocklington was nothing but a grifter, and his GM glen sather's incompetence was exposed once he left edmonton. then we get to the oilers' legendary incompetence AND luck when it came to mcdavid and draisaitl. would have been even more spectacular if they did not jettison taylor hall and if yakupov did not turn into a bust.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I always wanted to see a team go 0-82-0, although in Arizona's case they'd go 0-81-1.

But all jokes aside, it's just embarrassing and so stupid. Might as well trade Schmaltz, Keller and Chychrun. Wonder if this team is going to get a buyer.

With that being said, Carter Hutton is playing like trash.

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
If I was AZ I would be making a lot of calls on Marner and see what it would take to get him out of Toronto. In doing so I would hope that he would flourish while playing under a microscope of way less magnification. If they start to put the right character guys in place and establish a proper work ethic and culture, you have Marner living in AZ telling Matthews how great it is to play without the insane pressure, they are moving the right direction, AND they still have no dress code, essentially selling him on his own home state!
In a couple of years, if Matthews DOES want to leave Toronto, the Coyotes could potentially have Matthews, Marner, Chychrun and a couple of high draft picks to move forward with. If you build the right cast around them, could work.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The AZ-1 tank is a third-generation Coyotes main battle tank designed by Bill Armstrong (GMBA) and named for the Arizona Coyotes and their pending first round pick. Conceived for NHL draft lottery warfare and now one of the heaviest tanks in service at nearly -6 goal differential per game (almost 6 metric goals), it introduced several innovative features, including deliberate inept goaltending, a sophisticated cap dump composite roster, new coaching system, and second round draft pick storage compartment.
Lol.

I mean you nailed it.

Their goaltending features a 25 year old mediocre czeck goalie with no ahl or nhl experience and not that eye popping numbers in the czeck league, and a goalie who has a vision condition thats made it hard for him to see moving pucks and hasnt been even passable in the nhl since 2018-2019.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Lol.

I mean you nailed it.

Their goaltending features a 25 year old mediocre czeck goalie with no ahl or nhl experience and not that eye popping numbers in the czeck league, and a goalie who has a vision condition thats made it hard for him to see moving pucks and hasnt been even passable in the nhl since 2018-2019.
Hutton is such a sham claiming he had vision problems fixed 2 years ago and came in yet again and constantly lost track of the puck in every game. Can't trust a goalie who can't even properly follow the puck around.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
With Carter Hutton out with injury, their goalies now have 8 NHL games between them. Ivan Prosvetov (3), Karel Vejmelka (5).

What could go wrong?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Tampa's success is due to tanking...

Only a very small nugget of it was. The majority of it was through actually-great drafting. Killorn in the late-1st round, then Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, and Palat in the later rounds, and then they added two guys that were completely undrafted in Johnson and Gourde...yeah. Tampa's team was not the result of tanking except for Hedman and a frequently-injured Stamkos.

Wright and/or Bedard alone won't save the Coyotes. They'll need actually-strong drafting around those two to compliment them. It's a big reason that I'm still iffy on the Oilers despite their quick start.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
If you think it's bad now, just wait until after the trade deadline. They'll surely have traded away Phil Kessel by that point, and probably others too.

Jaskin, Dzingel, Johan Larsson, Galchenyuk, and Stralman could all get meager trade returns. Especially if Arizona retains on one of them, which they will be willing and able to do. And there's been rumours that they want to trade Schmaltz.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why should Tampa Bay and Boston be penalized for success. I believe it would force owners to put more thought into development of players and how their G.M. Builds their teams.
Imagine Detroit winning the cup in 08 and making the SCF in 09 and at the same time drafting Stamkos+Hedman.

Imagine Pittsburgh winning the lottery and getting Hedman in 09 after winning the cup.

It's easy to not want to be "penalized for success" when you're successful. But why should bad teams be penalized for the reality that EVERY TEAM IS BAD AT SOME POINT?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Imagine Detroit winning the cup in 08 and making the SCF in 09 and at the same time drafting Stamkos+Hedman.

Imagine Pittsburgh winning the lottery and getting Hedman in 09 after winning the cup.

It's easy to not want to be "penalized for success" when you're successful. But why should bad teams be penalized for the reality that EVERY TEAM IS BAD AT SOME POINT?
I would like everyone to look at the makeup of Tampa the past two years.
Stamkos/Hedman top 1st round picks.
Stamkos was not a major contributor to their two cup successes.
Now look at the rest of their roster. Trades, undrafted free agents and 3rd and later round Tampa picks.
Then look at their AHL affiliate. Successful in developing talent.
The same is true for Boston and back in the day with Detroit.
Organizational efficiency is why they succeed.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
If I was AZ I would be making a lot of calls on Marner and see what it would take to get him out of Toronto. In doing so I would hope that he would flourish while playing under a microscope of way less magnification. If they start to put the right character guys in place and establish a proper work ethic and culture, you have Marner living in AZ telling Matthews how great it is to play without the insane pressure, they are moving the right direction, AND they still have no dress code, essentially selling him on his own home state!
In a couple of years, if Matthews DOES want to leave Toronto, the Coyotes could potentially have Matthews, Marner, Chychrun and a couple of high draft picks to move forward with. If you build the right cast around them, could work.
Just my opinion but I don’t believe the Arizona G.M. has any intention of improving his team this year or next. cough… Wright. cough… Bedard.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would like everyone to look at the makeup of Tampa the past two years.
Stamkos/Hedman top 1st round picks.
Stamkos was not a major contributor to their two cup successes.
Now look at the rest of their roster. Trades, undrafted free agents and 3rd and later round Tampa picks.
Then look at their AHL affiliate. Successful in developing talent.
The same is true for Boston and back in the day with Detroit.
Organizational efficiency is why they succeed.
18 points in 23 games during a cup run = not a major contributor

Lol you are tripping man. Every team becomes bad at some point. It's just life, players age and decline. Tampa's done well but they've still laid a foundation with high draft picks.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No, the Blackhawks squad built by Stan Bowman, with a head the size of turtle's head, and brain smaller than a turtle's brain, will be the worst.

Beneven Stanciano

Feb 18, 2020
Just my opinion but I don’t believe the Arizona G.M. has any intention of improving his team this year or next. cough… Wright. cough… Bedard.
That's kind of wjat I was thinking too. I think the team would still be bottom with Marner but they could start working on culture change for him in those couple of dog years while they assemble a supporting cast and wait on Matthews/Bedard/Wright

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The worst part is is when you have the worst season ever and the team that finished 5th or 6th last wins the Shane Wright lottery this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is what the coyotes franchise wanted. So why is it a surprise that it’s coming to fruition?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think they’ll wait for the hole to be a little deeper and then they’ll mercifully go out and get a goalie to keep it from getting too bad, and they’ll end up with 59 points, which means there will have been 10 teams in the last 20 years who finished with fewer points in 82 game seasons. But it will certainly be good for dead-last this season, which is the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad