Speculation: Are Teams/Agents waiting for one of the Young Stars to sign?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm surprised that none of the young stars due for a massive raise have signed yet. Do you think that the agents/teams are waiting for the first one to sign as a comparison or to align their own contracts (to a certain extent obviously as a center is worth more than a winger)

Do you think Skinner possibly signing an 8 year (72 million) x 9 millon dollar contract would affect anything? He's UFA and not RFA obviously, but he's never gotten the point totals that these players have either...

What do you realistically expect these players to get?:

-Brayden Point

-Mitch Marner

-Sebastian Aho

-Mikko Rantanen

-Matthew Tkachuk

-Patrik Laine

And to a lesser extent:

-Timo Meier

-Kyle Connor

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think all the RFAs are waiting for one to sign to see what the market brings since they are all relatively comparable.

Leafs are certainly hoping for some team friendly deals to get signed to give some sort of leverage with Marner.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think all the RFAs are waiting for one to sign to see what the market brings since they are all relatively comparable.

Leafs are certainly hoping for some team friendly deals to get signed to give some sort of leverage with Marner.
Could very well drag out into camp for some teams. Which teams can afford to wait it out like the Nylander situation and which ones will have to get it resolved sooner to ensure that they do not harm their playoff chances?

Toronto, TB, Calgary should be able to survive Oct and Nov without them in terms of the playoff race.

Carolina would be in tough not having Aho.
If Colorado does not improve their secondary scoring how will they fare without Rantanen as they qualified for the playoffs I’m the last day 2 years ago and around game 80 or so this past season.

As for ufa vs rfa that does have some impact but I think what we are seeing is that players today realize that they can and will enter their prime in their early 20’S, like at 23, (like MacKinnon and Barkov) this they want to be paid well for these prime years. Think they realize that those rfa in 2016 sold their ufa years for too little, plus this batch has performed better in comparison to the league than the 2016 class, which puts them in a better negotiation position.

Reactions: FrankMTL

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I can definitely see a "Nylander" impact on certain teams if some players who are not getting what they want decide to "sit" till they do.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov, Sanheim, and Konecny all waiting too in Philly.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I would guess they are waiting for the end of June when they become soft free agents where they can talk to other teams without it being deemed tampering.

If a player is going to hold out until as late as possible in the process in order to play out their ELC and boost their value, it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign a few week before when they can actually talk to other teams.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I can definitely see a "Nylander" impact on certain teams if some players who are not getting what they want decide to "sit" till they do.

I think that RFAs are not going to sit this season because of the lockout.

There's a major risk there because of the possible 2020-2021 lockout. If a player sits, they risk missing out on two years of play, not just one. Some of the upper end RFAs with the right teams will also get lockout bonuses. If they sit, they will miss out on that opportunity.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC

The Leaves have already made their bed with Marner.....I'd be surprised if he was looking outside of his own locker room for comparable.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that RFAs are not going to sit this season because of the lockout.

There's a major risk there because of the possible 2020-2021 lockout. If a player sits, they risk missing out on two years of play, not just one. Some of the upper end RFAs with the right teams will also get lockout bonuses. If they sit, they will miss out on that opportunity.
I think he meant sit as in until Dec 1. I don’t see players willing to miss the season.

Like I said there are a couple of teams with a top rfa that really can’t afford to not have them in oct and nov and be comfortable in their playoff positioning. Think those guys gets signed first which creates the trickle down effect for everyone else.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Going to be an interesting offseason for RFA contracts for sure. Nobody wants to be the first to blink. Kind of hope the GMs take a stand and get prices back to where they're reasonable. Until the cap goes up substantially there is going to be a battle of mediocrity with 2/3 teams in the league up against it. Giving out big money guaranteed contracts to guys in their early 20's is going to breed complacency. Give them a nice payday but also something that motivates them to make sure the next one is going to be even bigger.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id assume Marner will wanna sign first and everyone will be waiting to see what Marner gets first. When he gets his 11.6, madness will happen around the league

Plus u know all players will go for as much as possible cause id say its a guarentee a lockout is coming. These contracts are completely out of control

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going to be an interesting offseason for RFA contracts for sure. Nobody wants to be the first to blink. Kind of hope the GMs take a stand and get prices back to where they're reasonable. Until the cap goes up substantially there is going to be a battle of mediocrity with 2/3 teams in the league up against it. Giving out big money guaranteed contracts to guys in their early 20's is going to breed complacency. Give them a nice payday but also something that motivates them to make sure the next one is going to be even bigger.
CBA rules. Ufa after 7 years or age 27. These guys coming off elc owe 4/5 years before ufa. Max term contract is 7/8 years.

Unless max term changes I think guys will try to time their 3rd contract to start at 28 so that they can get deals to age 35/36, like Skinner and Carlson.

They are now making teams pay through the roof for their prime years. No one wants to be another Jossi, who makes $19 million less than Pietroangelo over his second contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
CBA rules. Ufa after 7 years or age 27. These guys coming off elc owe 4/5 years before ufa. Max term contract is 7/8 years.

Unless max term changes I think guys will try to time their 3rd contract to start at 28 so that they can get deals to age 35/36, like Skinner and Carlson.

They are now making teams pay through the roof for their prime years. No one wants to be another Jossi, who makes $19 million less than Pietroangelo over his second contract.

Not all of them. There has still been a lot of quality RFA deals signed the last several years. MacKinnon, Barkov, Schiefele, Gaudreau, Pastrnak, Forsberg, and lots of others on good value contracts. Personally I'd rather have the AAV at a reasonable number than the extra year or two of term. Lots can change in 8 years. I do understand the players point of view, especially with another lockout looming, but I think there's something to be said about creating an incentive to get better. You give a guy like Matthews or Eichel 8 figures a year and where's their motivation to improve? You've basically said we think you've arrived.

I would be interested to see what happens should the max term on contracts be renegotiated down. A large part of the reason NHL players are under team control for so long before they hit UFA is because their money is guaranteed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not all of them. There has still been a lot of quality RFA deals signed the last several years. MacKinnon, Barkov, Schiefele, Gaudreau, Pastrnak, Forsberg, and lots of others on good value contracts. Personally I'd rather have the AAV at a reasonable number than the extra year or two of term. Lots can change in 8 years. I do understand the players point of view, especially with another lockout looming, but I think there's something to be said about creating an incentive to get better. You give a guy like Matthews or Eichel 8 figures a year and where's their motivation to improve? You've basically said we think you've arrived.

I would be interested to see what happens should the max term on contracts be renegotiated down. A large part of the reason NHL players are under team control for so long before they hit UFA is because their money is guaranteed.
Thing is that the 2019 rfa class may very well view that the 2016 rfa class sold their ufa years for too little. Jones, MaxKinnon, Barkov are all out doing their cap hits.

As well, look at how this rfa class has performed compared to the league vs the 2016 group did. This class did much better on their elc and thus have shown that they can legitimately be top 10-20 scorers. MacKinnon didn’t have as good an elc performance as Rantanen. Thus Rantanen should blow past what MacKinnon makes.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Marner's a lock for 10.5 to 11.5 a season. The kid has more than proven he's worth it. I don't believe it'll be Toronto either. He's going to sign an offer sheet that is going to force their hand.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
-Brayden Point = 10 million +

-Mitch Marner = 11 million

-Sebastian Aho = 10 million

-Mikko Rantanen = 10 million +

-Matthew Tkachuk = 9 million

-Patrik Laine = 8.5 million

And to a lesser extent:

-Timo Meier = 7 milliom

-Kyle Connor = 7 million

That's what I see them asking for/getting give or take 500k, unless of course they take a hometown discount which I don't see anyone taking... maybe Rantanen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Marner's a lock for 10.5 to 11.5 a season. The kid has more than proven he's worth it. I don't believe it'll be Toronto either. He's going to sign an offer sheet that is going to force their hand.
I think Marner will take time. I don’t foresee an offersheet for him. Above that $10.5 threshold and it’s 4 first rounders.

If the Leafs get hit with multiple offersheets within days for Kap and AJ, then I could see a team come in for $10.5 for Marner.

But Marner’s top comparable will likely be Rantanen. Both wingers. Rantanen was tied for 17th in scoring while missing 8 games. Last season he was tied for 16th.
Last year marner was tied for 37th and this year was 11th.

Of the 2 teams I think it’s more vital for Colorado to have Rantanen on the roster on day 1. Unless they upgrade their secondary scoring they depend on their top line so much. Made the playoffs right near the end this past year and in the final day 2 seasons ago.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
-Brayden Point = 10 million +

-Mitch Marner = 11 million

-Sebastian Aho = 10 million

-Mikko Rantanen = 10 million +

-Matthew Tkachuk = 9 million

-Patrik Laine = 8.5 million

And to a lesser extent:

-Timo Meier = 7 milliom

-Kyle Connor = 7 million

That's what I see them asking for/getting give or take 500k, unless of course they take a hometown discount which I don't see anyone taking... maybe Rantanen.
Everyone for the same term? 6 years?

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
-Brayden Point 9M

-Mitch Marner 10.5M

-Sebastian Aho 11M or as a 400IQ person he could do a team friendly deal.

-Mikko Rantanen 9M

-Matthew Tkachuk 10M

-Patrik Laine 8M

Cant figure out terms. Laine maybe 8x6. Idk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad