Are Swedish prospects overrated?

SChan*

considering the recent swedish success in U18 and U20 international tournaments, I have to say no.

Sure we haven't won a final yet, but we are very consistent medaling with our prospects.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think that question can be answered yet. Yes, there have been a run on Swedish prospects (in particular in the 1st round) over the past few seasons, and yes many of those players are labeled as top-notch prospects. That said, let's see how they pan out as NHL players.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just wondering what people's thoughts on this were.

Prospects=overrated. Period.

Besides that, and I don't think I am a homer on this issue (like, its possible that they are overhyped (due to doing well in the past) and I wouldn't care if they were), but I don't think thats the case.

I don't think players like Nic Bäckström, Vic Hedman, Adam Larsson, Pääjärvi-Svensson, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Erik Karlsson, Tim Erixon and co were "hyped" that much, nor have failed to deliver once in the NHL. That apply's to the group under them too, even like Omark, Brunnström and co, I mean they are hyped, they are overhyped, but not necessary at all more than any kid like that that gets a buzz.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
I don't think they all are overrated but since they have been developing a lot of good-great prospects in the recent years people start to overrate the lesser ones just because they are Swedish.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I don't think they all are overrated but since they have been developing a lot of good-great prospects in the recent years people start to overrate the lesser ones just because they are Swedish.

Could be, could be. It's a bit tougher get noticed, I think, if your a prospect coming from a country/area with less good reputation, you have to show someting extra to get attention.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think it is more the likelihood of players reaching their potential that is a bit overrated. Sure, it's possible Tedenby, Josefsson, Johansson, Silfverberg, Klingberg, Lander, Pettersson and so on all will end up on scoring lines like some of the fans of the teams that owns their rights believe. Most likely quite a few of the players of that caliber won't.

Same with penciling in many of the good defenders as top pairing guys.

It's a problem with American and Canadian players too. I guess since people automatically assume all Swedish players are good two-way players it's a bit exaggerated with them.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I think theres certainly a lot of swedish prospects that are overhyped, but they would get the same hype or more if they where canadian.

Right now swedish prospects are hot which perhaps leads to that it easier to get drafted if you are a swede, rather than if you are a finn, czech or russian. Sweden is getting well scouted now and when the goldrush is on theres bound to be a couple of extra busts being drafted.

It was the opposite in the middle of the decade, in 2005 only two swedes got drafted in round 1-3, and only 12 in total. Yet 6 of the swedes turned out to be NHL-players (which is really good considering lateround-players very rarely pan out). Swedes where underrated back then, now it might be the other way around. Hopefully I am wrong.

There has been a wave of young guys playing very well in SEL, now that they turn up, or are about to turn up, in Northamerica after years of hype some of them will turn out to be disapointments for sure.

I do however think the hype for swedish goalkeepers are legit. The level of goaltending in SEL is really good.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to make a bit of a generalization here, but overall Swedish players seem to be fairly low maintenance and have an absence of prima donnas. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's my overall impression. Certainly it has been the case with the Canucks' Swedish players.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
It will be interesting to see how the large young group of swedish PMD´s pan out. Most of them are sure things if you listen to their respective teams fans. But naturally some of them will be good, some of them will be decent and some of them will bust.

I also think that many of the swedish players with high salaries doesnt try to squeeze out the last penny of their contracts which is important in a salary cap world. Some players with low- to normal NHL salaries might do that, but not the ones with 4M+ salaries.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think theres certainly a lot of swedish prospects that are overhyped, but they would get the same hype or more if they where canadian.

Right now swedish prospects are hot which perhaps leads to that it easier to get drafted if you are a swede, rather than if you are a finn, czech or russian. Sweden is getting well scouted now and when the goldrush is on theres bound to be a couple of extra busts being drafted.

It was the opposite in the middle of the decade, in 2005 only two swedes got drafted in round 1-3, and only 12 in total. Yet 6 of the swedes turned out to be NHL-players (which is really good considering lateround-players very rarely pan out). Swedes where underrated back then, now it might be the other way around. Hopefully I am wrong.

There has been a wave of young guys playing very well in SEL, now that they turn up, or are about to turn up, in Northamerica after years of hype some of them will turn out to be disapointments for sure.

I do however think the hype for swedish goalkeepers are legit. The level of goaltending in SEL is really good.

I'd love to see a list of those players if you can find one.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I'd love to see a list of those players if you can find one.

It's not that impressive really. But here goes:

Swedes from 2005 draft that actually played/plays in NHL
Niclas Bergfors (first round) 162 games played
Mattias Ritola (fourth round) 38 games played
Niklas Hjalmarsson (fourth round) 191 games played
Tom Wandell (fifth round) 139 games played
Anton Strålman (seventh round) 212 games played
Patric Hörnqvist (seventh round) 187 games played

The draft also had 6 swedish busts (picked in round 3, 5, 5, 5, 6,7) The most notable of them is Fredrik Pettersson, that came pretty close to making NHL, looked good in Atlantas camp last year.

A guy like Linus Omark was draft eligble this year, but ended up not being picked.

Ok not the most impressive group, but my point still stands. The swedish stock was low back then and you could find nice players in the later rounds. I mean theres not a lot of players picked in round 4+ that even gets a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Manny*

Being a Sens fan, I'm obviously all for Swedish prospects.
Karlsson has turned out great for us, and will continue to get better. Guys like Rundblad, Silfverberg and Zibanejad are all on the NHL's doorstep. We also have Petersson and Lehner who will play in the NHL one day unless something goes terribly wrong.

Almost every single one of those players would get selected higher than they originally were if their respective drafts were re-done. I don't consider them overrated.

A few of those kids were a mystery to Sens fans for quite a while. We relied on Swedish hockey fans to get information on them and often they assured us "yeah, this kid is great." It's not until they show up for development camp or play in international tournaments that we get the chance to measure them up against better known prospects. Kids like Silfverberg and Zibanejad certainly haven't disappointed. Rundblad has shown that he can dominate in the offensive zone against NHL players and Petersson has had no trouble creating offence. Sounds like those Swedish fans were right after all.

jughead42*

I think in general on the HF boards the Swedish prospects are overrated a bit, but not in all cases. I think MPS in Edmonton had way more hype than he deserved, same with Linus Omark. I also think Landeskog is somewhat overrated, he's a great all round player but I don't think he's the elite scorer you'd expect from a top 5 pick. However there are some guys who deserve the hype, Hedman in Tampa looks like he deserves every bit of hype he gets and the kid Zibenajad in Ottawa is also deserving of his status as a top prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad