Are points or goals more important when determining a forward's value?

Are points or goals more important when determining a forward's value?

• Total voters

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
I tend to think points are more important because theres more that goes into a scoring chance than just the shooter but I constantly hear analysts only bring up players goal totals (Gord Miller is notoriously bad for this) and it kind of makes me think the media undervalues playmakers. Where do you all stand on this?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
In general points.
Usually 1st assists are better than secondary but there are some players that are very unappreciated for all of the secondary assists they get.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to think points are more important because theres more that goes into a scoring chance than just the shooter but I constantly hear analysts only bring up players goal totals (Gord Miller is notoriously bad for this) and it kind of makes me think the media undervalues playmakers. Where do you all stand on this?

Goals are more important. Obviously. To the point that assists (points) are not important at all. Since its possible to score goals w/o any assists, but it's not possible the other way around.

NHL uses the outdated system that counts: a goal = primary assist = secondary assist = 1 point. Playmakers have a huge advantage because of it and therefore heavily overrated.

So, if we want a fair comparison between a sniper and playmaker we need to use another system. Something like 4 points = 4 secondary assists = 2 primary assists = 1 goal as example.

Using this^ system lets compare a sniper Ovechkin and playmaker Kucherov this season.

Ovechkin = 51 goals *4 + 26 primary *2 + 12 secondary *1 = 268 points
Kucherov = 40*4 + 53*2 + 33*1 = 299 points

So according to this^ system Kucherov is 10% better than Oveckin this season.
While according to NHL point system Kucherov is 30% better than Ovechkin this season.

I am Lightning fan and I am 100% sure that Kucherov is not 30% better than Ovechkin, while 10% looks more or less correct comparison between the best sniper and the best playmaker of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbabybuda

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If you're the coach would you rather a player go:

0-100-100 or 50-0-50? The answer is 0-100-100, because that means your team scored twice as many goals.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Agreed.

Gun to my head though just to answer OP's question, I'd choose goals. Both are too highly flawed to actually evaluate a player though. They don't have any context, they are less predictive than a number of stats, and points are even more watered down by secondary assists.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Goals, because two players can get credited for assist. The two would be closer if that standard stats would better distinguish between first and second assist. Secondary assist is secondary assist, no matter how you slice it.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I mean, goals are more important than assists.

I'd rather have a guy score 99g 0a 99p over a guy who scores 40g 60a 100p.

I'd rather have a guy score 40g 60a 100p over a guy who scores 50g 0a 50p.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Agreed.

Gun to my head though just to answer OP's question, I'd choose goals. Both are too highly flawed to actually evaluate a player though. They don't have any context, they are less predictive than a number of stats, and points are even more watered down by secondary assists.
Such as?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Goals are a part of points... You could use assists instead or something and then ask.

Anyway, in my opinion goals are underrated in NHL.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
A Matthew vs Marner thread. Very sneaky. Goals mean more. Hf doesnt believe in secondary assists

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad