Are playoffs still makeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Is it possible? Yes
Is it likely? Chances do mathematically point against it.
Do I have hope and faith? Damn straight.

One good hot streak and we're in, especially in a season like this one.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Probably not but things look a lot better right now than they did a few days ago. If they finish 9th-11th I won't be too upset.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It definitely COULD happen, but I'm not really counting on it. We're lucky Chicago and Anaheim has such hot starts, because it lowered the points everyone has right now. There's 8 points between 3rd and 15th

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Is it possible? Yes

Sums it up perfectly. We are 5 points away from the division lead right now let alone 3 from a playoff spot.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
do you honestly see them going 14-7
If they get hot at home and go 8-3 3 and finish off the road at 4-3-1 which would make us 500 on road it can be done. We just need to play strong at home with proper line match ups and refuse to lose attitude. Home games the key.

dixs35

Jan 26, 2010
E-town
If they get hot at home and go 8-3 3 and finish off the road at 4-3-1 which would make us 500 on road it can be done. We just need to play strong at home with proper line match ups and refuse to lose attitude. Home games the key.

well if they win 3 of there next 4 on this home stand I will start to believe its a possibility. Here's to hoping.:handclap:

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
No. Far to many defensive teams in the west. This team can't compete with them.

I stick by my prediction of a bottom 5 finish.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Is it possible? Yes

Exactly.
We are only like 3 points out its super tight but we'll need to put together a decent win streak.

A wise guy told me if i have low expectations i won't be disappointed. To bad i didn't listen to him.

If we make a decent trade at the deadline and stay healthy we have a chance, a small chamce, but still a chance.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Well, we still have about 45-46% of the season left, so it is possible but I doubt it. I hope they do but it seems like whenever we start to get our hopes up, this team lets us down. Also, it's still kind of early to tell. Once we get near the trade deadline, that's when we will have a much better idea. If we are in the race, I hope Tambo does his job (haha) and brings in the players that we need to push us over the top. Anything can happen in the playoffs and even if we dont get far, at least we will gain some experience.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Have to go 13-9 or 14-8 at the minimum i think. With everyone in the west playing each other every night with no games against the east i think its more possible right now than in a regular season setup. I always look to see how many 3 point games were played on any given night and im sure the oilers do too.

They're just going to have to find ways to beat trapping, gritty teams and dubes and khabby will have to be stellar.

Do I think it will happen? Probably not. But going into the year i just wanted them to finish out of the bottom 5 and be better than Calgary. That may have a real chance of happening.

I think next year will be more of a pronounced jump especially with the number of teams wiping overpaid but still decent nhlers off their payroll because theyre too close to the cap. We'll also get to play the east again.An all western conference sked doesnt do the oilers any favours.

Maybe therell be a coaching and gm change as well but if they finish 10th or 11th i think that will be enough for tambo and kruger to save their jobs.

I think it will be interesting to see who goes at the trading deadline if we got hot, or conversely if we tank. How the trade deadline and this summer go for the oilers i think will make or break this team for the next few years. The opportunity is there to cut a lot of fat and use the money to fill grit, size and talent holes. Use the money wrong though and its time to start the rebuild again.

We're close to 8th but just as close to 15th.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not getting my hopes up.

It is possible. It's been a crazy up and down season for a lot of teams.

If RNH and Gagner combined won 45% of their faceoffs or better, we'd win easily.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
The next eight games are the perfect time to go on a winning streak and try to get at least 12-14 points out of it. We play the falling Sharks and the Preds who we ususally do well against twice.

We also play the flames three times, which they suck but always play like ****ing gods against us.

Even if all goes right, the end of the season is really, really tough. We have Anaheim THREE times, chicago once, and minny a few times as well.

JMecc

Oct 19, 2011
Edmonton
If we go 13-6-3 (1/3 of our losses still get us a point is consistent with the season up to now), we get to 54 pts which gives us a decent shot at the playoffs.

It's possible, but that would mean .659 hockey instead of the .481 we have now. The '3 points back' is kinda deceiving because it looks like we could easily catch that up on some team when we win 2 and they lose 2, but in reality it means a whole bunch of teams all have to falter for us to catch them which won't happen. We'd need to just outdo the rest by having a huge winning streak. I'm still hopeful for a win every game and not cheering for picks - we need to be a respectable team for FA's to come to and for other teams to fear.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We are 3 points out so ya it's quite makeable. Our destiny much like everyone else's is in our own hands. All conference games and right now there is only 8 points from 3rd-15th.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
A good 5 game winning streak, and we need to go 9-7 the rest of the way. Not a high probability, but I would not discount it either.

When's the last time this team had a 5 game win streak? I agree there's a chance but realistically it's slim. More likely we only win 7 more in regulation the rest of the way rather than only losing that few. We have a bunch of games against Minny and Van yet and we really have to beat the Flames every time we play them to get a shot at the division title. That might be easier to get than 8th spot.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Lot of mediocre teams makes it possible, the number of teams they have to jump over makes it unlikely.

That's the thing. Even with a winning streak we make up ground very slowly. 13-5-4 is about what we have to finish with, which is possible with lots of home dates.

Either way it's nice to be talking about this rather than tanking slogans.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If we can put up a good home stand... we will be "in the hunt"

That said... so will a bunch of other teams.. so the odds of us making it would be pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad