Are Pens fans worried about GA?

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
There's only Buffalo and Arizona conceded more goals against than the Pens, and they are bottom of their respective conferences? There's only so far offensive talent can take you if you're shipping for fun at the back

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Their D zone play is trash.

They were able to cover it up the last two years with dominant possesion and dominant goaltending, respectively. This year, however, their losses in the bottom 6 are glaring and it's affected the overall play of their forward group, not to mention that Murray can only do so much. He's done a LOT of bailing out, which is a big reason why the Penguins are still in a decent position standings wise.

As of right now, the Pens don't look like a playoff team in this division. That said, I think they'll bounce back. Rutherford will find a way to get some quality depth for his trash and they'll be poised to make a run.

Oh, and Letang will need to wake the f*** up as well.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Niemi is gone and he accounted for probably 1/4 of those goals against. :sarcasm:

Niemi let in 16 of the Pens 95 total goals against.

So in 3 games Niemi let in 16.8% of all the Penguins goals against so far this year.

Actually 3 games doesn't even really tell the story... In 128 minutes of ice time Niemi let in 16.8% of the Penguins goals against this year.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Worried? No. Slightly concerned? Yes. Niemi was garbage when he was here. The needs to be way better defensively though.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, their defense is not the best in the world. Got to think they look at addressing that if they hope to three peat this year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
They will be fine Olli Maatta will lead them to the promised land

Seriously tho Maatta is a #2 dman so underrated

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Pens have had a ton of back-to-back games and gotten slaughtered in a lot of the back halves of those.

In their three largest losses of the year, they lost on the second night of back to backs against rested teams (10-1 Chicago, 7-1 Tampa, 7-1 Winnipeg). That is 24 goals in three games. Knock those three games down some and their number is middle of the road.

The Penguins have played more hockey the last two years than any other team. They're probably tired.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Their D zone play is trash.

They were able to cover it up the last two years with dominant possesion and dominant goaltending, respectively. This year, however, their losses in the bottom 6 are glaring and it's affected the overall play of their forward group, not to mention that Murray can only do so much. He's done a LOT of bailing out, which is a big reason why the Penguins are still in a decent position standings wise.

As of right now, the Pens don't look like a playoff team in this division. That said, I think they'll bounce back. Rutherford will find a way to get some quality depth for his trash and they'll be poised to make a run.

Oh, and Letang will need to wake the **** up as well.

I agree with a lot of this though I think saying "they don't look like a playoff team" is overdoing it considering how tight things are and they're currently in a playoff spot.

Ever since Sullivan took over and the roster was revamped, they seem to basically win by playing some fairly blah D in their own zone but are exceedingly good at the quick strike offense or playing run and gun against anyone else in the league because of the really good group of forwards they have.

Their D isn't great but they're focused on moving the puck up the ice quickly and their forwards are deadly and their goaltending has been good at cleaning up the rest. This year it's probably more noticeable because yeah losing some depth and key players, but they've always looked like this team with some bizarre holes in their game that should be beatable but they just manage to run over anyone with their offense when they need to.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
the D is fine, we have four top 4 Dmen, Cole is a very good #5 and Hunwick has been pretty good. its more on the forwards imo, they have been really bad on the defensive side.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The GA is trending down. Niemi didn’t help and since we got Sheahan we are at 2.7 GA which is closer to last seasons 2.5 GA

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like was said already, Niemi let in around 17% of the goals the Penguins have let in while playing in basically 2 of 29 games. I'm not concerned at all, your GA totals are going to look bad if you get blown out by scores of 10-1 and 2 7-1 games.

Since the day that Niemi was originally claimed on waivers by Florida, they've given up 54 goals in 19 games. Is that good? Not really, but it's middle of the pack in the league. They've had more issues with ES scoring than goals against recently. If they were scoring goals at ES like they should be, nobody would be complaining about their GA totals, because they'd be much better in the standings and they would be in line with what they did last year in terms of GA.

GA probably would be lower if they had kept Derrick "Yung Doughty" Pouliot

I'm sure Pouliot would be doing great while sitting in the press box and eating nachos here.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
They will be fine Olli Maatta will lead them to the promised land

Seriously tho Maatta is a #2 dman so underrated
i think you clicked a 2 instead of a 4 by accident idk
lol at maata being a 2d, shows how much hockey you watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad