Speculation: Are Matthews and Marner Choke Artists in Playoffs?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I've tried hard to stay away from anything leafs since the lose, but really, I still can't seem to get my head around them losing AGAIN in round 1. Hard to cheer for a team like this. I'll have to re-access closer to start of season, but I'm fairly certain I won't be watching much Leafs unless they ever make it past 1 F***ING ROUND!

Reactions: CincoHolio

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Derozan…

Marner

Raps removed him and won.

Leafs your move.
That’s half of the problem solved, but what about the other spineless faker who also has failed to play up to his standards and abilities when the games are important and opponents aren’t taking shifts off?

Reactions: geo25

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I've tried hard to stay away from anything leafs since the lose, but really, I still can't seem to get my head around them losing AGAIN in round 1. Hard to cheer for a team like this. I'll have to re-access closer to start of season, but I'm fairly certain I won't be watching much Leafs unless they ever make it past 1 F***ING ROUND!
I feel the same way. The sad truth is I’ll still end up watching every single season and playoff game. Leafs will find a way to raise our expectations like coming first in a division with Tampa and Boston and signing a guy that we believe changes the teams identity only to crush our emotions again in the playoffs.

Reactions: glue

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Raptors had Nurse. We have an idiot in Sheldon Keefe
I’m wondering why you are hating on Keefer. I’ll say this, he was shackled with Thornton by his players and G.M. Simmonds done squat also.
Thinking they leave these old veterans off our roster and promote from within if they want to get it right. I’m pretty tainted right now also. Not questioning your thinking,just wondering why keefe is getting your wrath.
I think Dubas screwed him getting Thornton. Then he had to play him out of respect. It was a solid mistake from inception of thought I’d say.
Dubas might want to think about drafting some jam too. Five years of this team building is a failure. If he can’t then i hope his butt gets fired along with Shanny too.
I had enough of this embarrassment

Reactions: geo25 and Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’m wondering why you are hating on Keefer. I’ll say this, he was shackled with Thornton by his players and G.M. Simmonds done squat also.
Thinking they leave these old veterans off our roster and promote from within if they want to get it right. I’m pretty tainted right now also. Not questioning your thinking,just wondering why keefe is getting your wrath.
I think Dubas screwed him getting Thornton. Then he had to play him out of respect. It was a solid mistake from inception of thought I’d say.
Dubas might want to think about drafting some jam too. Five years of this team building is a failure. If he can’t then i hope his butt gets fired along with Shanny too.
I don’t believe you can hold Keefe responsible without sharing the Dubas blame either.
Even though Keefe is coach, I don’t believe for 1 second that these 2 guys don’t share the exact same philosophy on player deployment, usage and minutes. I don’t believe they haven’t both decided who plays where when signing or trading for players.

It’s almost like an extension of Dubas as the coach. My belief.

Dubas and Babcock. Nope. Not at all.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

* Against Columbus last season, Nylander hadn’t taken any reps at C all season. Game 5 surprise Willy you’re jumping in at C. Why? So we can put all our offence on one line. Torts is a good guy let’s make it nice and easy for him to shut us down
* The power play went south 30ish games ago - Keefe has no answer
* Our two top five scorers couldn't produce - never tried on separate lines
* Marner looks like he's exhausted due to over work - Keefe trots him out on the PK. In fact in the Columbus series I started noticing this. Keefe overplays the stars until the point that they are visibly worn down and can’t skate to compete for pucks
* At home, where Ducharme has to tell you he's starting Danault - Keefe keeps starting the Matthews line. In fact Keefe basically let Montreal’s coach dictate the matchups the entire series
* Joe Thornton - no more needs to be said
* Shut out the Canadiens with Sandin on the bench and Dermott (who has played almost 300 games in the org) in the line up - Keefe puts Sandin back in. In fact a rookie D man shouldn’t have been playing the series period.
* Kerfoot-Nylander-Galch line is producing - Keefe replaces Kerfoot with an injured Foligno
* Never using Galchenyuk on the power play despite his howitzer of a one timer
Just to name a few. I feel like coaching has been below par

Reactions: geo25

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
* Against Columbus last season, Nylander hadn’t taken any reps at C all season. Game 5 surprise Willy you’re jumping in at C. Why? So we can put all our offence on one line. Torts is a good guy let’s make it nice and easy for him to shut us down
* The power play went south 30ish games ago - Keefe has no answer
* Our two top five scorers couldn't produce - never tried on separate lines
* Marner looks like he's exhausted due to over work - Keefe trots him out on the PK. In fact in the Columbus series I started noticing this. Keefe overplays the stars until the point that they are visibly worn down and can’t skate to compete for pucks
* At home, where Ducharme has to tell you he's starting Danault - Keefe keeps starting the Matthews line. In fact Keefe basically let Montreal’s coach dictate the matchups the entire series
* Joe Thornton - no more needs to be said
* Shut out the Canadiens with Sandin on the bench and Dermott (who has played almost 300 games in the org) in the line up - Keefe puts Sandin back in. In fact a rookie D man shouldn’t have been playing the series period.
* Kerfoot-Nylander-Galch line is producing - Keefe replaces Kerfoot with an injured Foligno
* Never using Galchenyuk on the power play despite his howitzer of a one timer
Just to name a few. I feel like coaching has been below par

All good points. Fire them all ha. Rookie president,rookie G.M. Rookie players. They got owed in more ways than coaching.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t believe you can hold Keefe responsible without sharing the Dubas blame either.
Even though Keefe is coach, I don’t believe for 1 second that these 2 guys don’t share the exact same philosophy on player deployment, usage and minutes. I don’t believe they haven’t both decided who plays where when signing or trading for players.

It’s almost like an extension of Dubas as the coach. My belief.

Dubas and Babcock. Nope. Not at all.
Warts of the teams construction are showing. Many here on the boards could build a better team,myself excluded. I truly believe that statement.
These guys running this team are right out of it

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
When you check Webster’s dictionary there are no word under choker just a picture of Matthews and Marner.........it’s the Leafs edition

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

If he can’t even be bothered to make his own decisions, then he is definitely the problem.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watching Lou's disciplined, team first Islanders beat Boston should give us pause. Think what Marner could have been with Lou's guidance.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Watching Lou's disciplined, team first Islanders beat Boston should give us pause. Think what Marner could have been with Lou's guidance.
"Lou's guidance" is part of the reason Marner went rabid with sucking every penny he could from the Leafs because he did not give Marner the schedule A bonus.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So... It's Lou's fault?
Nobody's fault really. Just a typical string of Leafy bad luck going from a hard-nosed GM who wasn't scared to make youngsters earn every penny to a complete simp GM who insists every player coming off an ELC needs a life-changing pay day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad