Are FAs in for rude awakening with reports of McDavid deal?

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Every July 1st a bunch of free agents get signed to contracts that are just absurd. Now with McDavid looking at a deal north of 13 million a year other teams are going to have to look at that and figure out if joining the free agent frenzy is worth it. You have young stars like Laine and Eichel that are going to want to get PAID.

If the Sabres could do it all over again I doubt they'd sign Okposo. Probably same for Oilers and Lucic.

Or will it be business as usual and GMs just lose their collective minds like they do every year?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think okposo was a good signing.

Both okposo and ROR were young 'ufa' signings

I don't think that is regretful at all. However signing a guy that is like 32 for 6 or 7 years can be disasterful

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
No because none of those players mentioned are going to be more then a PPG player with a Hart trophy to his name at age 20 before his ELC was up. Guys getting 13 million a season because he's really just that good. Shouldn't effect anyone's payday but other superstars.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No because none of those players mentioned are going to be more then a PPG player with a Hart trophy to his name at age 20 before his ELC was up. Guys getting 13 million a season because he's really just that good. Shouldn't effect anyone's payday but other superstars.

Yeah end thread right here

Win a Rocket, Lindsay and Hart at age 20 and dominate the scoring race in process while dragging your team into the playoffs and you can ask for whatever you please

drewshoo

Feb 26, 2014
Lethbridge
Every July 1st a bunch of free agents get signed to contracts that are just absurd. Now with McDavid looking at a deal north of 13 million a year other teams are going to have to look at that and figure out if joining the free agent frenzy is worth it. You have young stars like Laine and Eichel that are going to want to get PAID.

If the Sabres could do it all over again I doubt they'd sign Okposo. Probably same for Oilers and Lucic.

Or will it be business as usual and GMs just lose their collective minds like they do every year?

Yes, yes it will. And Yes, yes they will. McDavid's contract, I think, will not really have any bearing on most players that sign on any July 1st. Not too many players will be able to use his contract as comparable and any that do probably aren't signing after becoming a free agent.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017

I'm not saying Laine or Eichel will sign for North of 13 obviously. But there is a domino effect. McDavids contract changes the entire landscape for young stars. Draisaitl is another one. Teams are going to have to really budget for when ELC contracts are up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm not saying Laine or Eichel will sign for North of 13 obviously. But there is a domino effect. McDavids contract changes the entire landscape for young stars. Draisaitl is another one. Teams are going to have to really budget for when ELC contracts are up.

Heres a teams ELC budget meeting: "Hey Bob do we have the best player in the world whos 20 years old? no? ok dammit moving on"

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
Heres a teams ELC budget meeting: "Hey Bob do we have the best player in the world whos 20 years old? no? ok dammit moving on"

Don't you think GMs are going to seriously have to reevaluate signing free agents to these massive contracts? That's my main point. Obviously McDavid is a special case but you can't deny the bar has been raised.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Okposo is a top 6 winger and he makes 6 million dollars a year. If anything the numbers that are coming up now make him a steal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Don't you think GMs are going to seriously have to reevaluate signing free agents to these massive contracts? That's my main point. Obviously McDavid is a special case but you can't deny the bar has been raised.

Its really hasnt, McDavid is getting the same % of cap Crosby and Ovechkin got. Laine/Matthews/Eichel will get same % of cap that Stamkos/Tavares/ Grioux got- because they are not as good as the McDavid/Laine/Matthews

Its almost like people dont understand when a cap increases players get more money. Like OMG Kassian signed for 1.95 mil, I remember back when Jagr signed for 1.95 mil in 1994 and it was highest contract in the league! for Kassian!

Its a Trap

Ehhh...no sorry. Matthews, Laine and Eichel are good. But none of them are even PPG players much less MVP caliber right now. It's nothing against them, it's just that none of them currently are 20 year old MVPs.

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
The players association should be all over this and making sure that one guy cannot get paid like this. I understand it's good for the league to have the top end of salaries increase. But all this does is put the money in the pockets of the few and take it from the many. It will keep the lower wage players at lower wages because all the money is allocated to the top guys. I'm not saying that McDavid doesn't deserve it. What I'm saying is that the NHLPA is a labor union and in a labor union one man equals one vote and they don't weight that vote based on how good you are. So you give McD 13 million, every other contract needs to be skimmed on in order to keep the roster compliant. It leads to guys being forced out of the league in favor of cheaper, not necessarily better talent. One guy should not get 20% of the cap, when he's probably going to make a ton of off ice money anyway.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
The players association should be all over this and making sure that one guy cannot get paid like this. I understand it's good for the league to have the top end of salaries increase. But all this does is put the money in the pockets of the few and take it from the many. It will keep the lower wage players at lower wages because all the money is allocated to the top guys. I'm not saying that McDavid doesn't deserve it. What I'm saying is that the NHLPA is a labor union and in a labor union one man equals one vote and they don't weight that vote based on how good you are. So you give McD 13 million, every other contract needs to be skimmed on in order to keep the roster compliant. It leads to guys being forced out of the league in favor of cheaper, not necessarily better talent. One guy should not get 20% of the cap, when he's probably going to make a ton of off ice money anyway.

Come on. The union is never, ever, going to tell a member they should take less money than they can get. And off the ice money is just gravy to these guys.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yeah end thread right here

Win a Rocket, Lindsay and Hart at age 20 and dominate the scoring race in process while dragging your team into the playoffs and you can ask for whatever you please

Connie didn't win the Rocket this year...all in due time though

Its a Trap

This isn't the NBA. The average NHL player is much closer in salary to an NHL star then their NBA counterparts.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Didn't Oshie just get almost a $6M 8-year contract? And Nick Bonino and Martin Hanzal are basically the two best centres approaching free agency?

You do the math, guys are gonna get paid.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB

There are rumors out there the NHLPA are telling Connor to ask for this much. This contract is gonna drive up the price for every single player in the league

Its a Trap

There are rumors out there the NHLPA are telling Connor to ask for this much. This contract is gonna drive up the price for every single player in the league

The price for every single player in the league goes up if the salary cap goes up. Not based on what the stars get paid. More salary cap space means more bidding money for wars over players many teams want.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The price for every single player in the league goes up if the salary cap goes up. Not based on what the stars get paid. More salary cap space means more bidding money for wars over players many teams want.

I disagree. Draisaitl is asking for 9million a year, if he gets that, expect guys like Eichel and Matthews to ask for 10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I disagree. Draisaitl is asking for 9million a year, if he gets that, expect guys like Eichel and Matthews to ask for 10

Clue me in. Why don't those guys deserve more than Toews and Kane, who signed 3 years ago?

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Clue me in. Why don't those guys deserve more than Toews and Kane, who signed 3 years ago?

McDavid does, but Draisaitl imo still has to prove he can produce consistently. The Oilers made this mistake before by giving RNH and Eberle 6million contracts after their career years and neither has come close to being those players since.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm saying Eichel and Matthews too. They deserve more than Toews and Kane. They are selling their prime. Toews and Kane was mostly their 30's.

13.5 McDavid
12.5 Matthews
11.5 Eichel

It's a young man's game. They deserve the money and other teams would give it to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad