Arbour Suffering From Dementia

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.islandersinsight.com/2014/08/islanders-legendary-coach-arbour-suffering-dementia/

"Legendary New York Islanders head coach Al Arbour is reportedly suffering the effects of dementia, according to a radio interview yesterday by new Buffalo Sabres hire Bryan Trottier."

http://eyesonisles.com/2014/08/13/al-arbour-suffering-dementia/

"Yesterday, in an interview with Sabres Hockey Hotline on WGR, newly hired Buffalo Sabres Assistant Coach and Islanders Legend Bryan Trottier told the program his former head coach, Al Arbour, is suffering from dementia. When asked about his former head coach, Trottier said: “…He’s (Arbour’s) going through a little tough time right now but we all love Al for all the great times we’ve had together and his leadership. He was always calm under pressure…”"

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I'm glad the organization was able to give him a great "final moment" with the team in 2009. One of the few classy things the Wang/Snow regime has done for Isles legends (although, several years later, it feels kind of silly that Arbour's banner doesn't list his win total anymore).

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
WOW that is such a sad story. I feel so bad for his wife Claire and his family. I pray that his good days outnumber his bad days.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
This is horrible to hear. I wasn't blessed to see him in his glory days, but I was glad to be able to watch his 1500th game a few years back live. He's done so much for this franchise and it's unfortunate that this is what getting older amounts to.

The Arbour family is in my thoughts.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Sad news. I work on a locked dementia unit at a veterans home and it can be rough..sad to see the affects on the residents. Some get worse then others but it's never easy. I hope for the best for him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I love Trots, but questionable decision to make that public, IMO. If we're going to hear that, shouldn't it be from his family?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I'm glad the organization was able to give him a great "final moment" with the team in 2009. One of the few classy things the Wang/Snow regime has done for Isles legends (although, several years later, it feels kind of silly that Arbour's banner doesn't list his win total anymore).

That was Nolan's idea. He said Arbour being at 1499 really bothered him. Snowang don't have the class to think of something like that.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
I love Trots, but questionable decision to make that public, IMO. If we're going to hear that, shouldn't it be from his family?

Yes, my first thought were of sadness rather than comparing him in his unforturnate condition to the abilities of the current coach. Some people are really sick.

Second thought was that what doublechilli mentions; what was Trottier doing talking about a private matter such as this publicly? Hopefully, he had family blessing there.

(my post number 1981...just saw that)

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Sad news. I work on a locked dementia unit at a veterans home and it can be rough..sad to see the affects on the residents. Some get worse then others but it's never easy. I hope for the best for him.

Just passing by here...but as one who lost a parent to a long struggle with Alzheimers disease in 2011, my utmost respect goes out to you and the noble work you perform.

And my heartfelt love goes out to Coach Arbour.

Life is often very unfair.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
This is very sad news. I live with my grandmother who has severe dementia and it's painful to see what it has done to her. Thoughts and prayers are with the Arbour family...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Just passing by here...but as one who lost a parent to a long struggle with Alzheimers disease in 2011, my utmost respect goes out to you and the noble work you perform.

And my heartfelt love goes out to Coach Arbour.

Life is often very unfair.

Replace 2011 with 2012 and you have what I essentially have to say. God bless those who do such work and you hate seeing anyone, never mind someone who did so much good, suffer from such a thing.

My deepest thoughts and well wishes go to Arbour and his family.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Very sad news. Nothing but well wishes to him and his family
The current staff should stop ( not the place) but there's a joke in there somewhere. Maybe another time.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
As others have said, I lost a parent to this harsh, unfair illness. So tough on the families, seems to strike those who were so vibrant during life.

As far as #19, I would be shocked and very saddened if he did not get the permission of the family beforehand. They achieved the pinnacle of success together that can't imagine that Trotts would be blind to their wishes.

God bless his family, give them strength during these trying days and know that Islander nation wishes you well.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If there's a kind ruler up there, hopefully the only memories lost are the past few seasons.

Blessings and prayers to Al. When you break it down, he's the main reason we're all Islanders fans.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Loved Al Arbour, one of the best hockey coaches in NHL history. So sad to hear this news.

SashaMesic

Aug 18, 2008
Prayers and thoughts are with Al and his beloved ones, seeing a family member going through dementia is harsh.

If there's a kind ruler up there, hopefully the only memories lost are the past few seasons.

This.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad