Proposal: Arber Xhekaj to New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I see pontential in the trade but I don't know much of the Habs longterm planning at LW.

Are they going to keep Slaf at RW long term? If so there is definitely a spot for a player like Gritsyuk on the LW. If not they would have a bit of a logjam with Gritsyuk.

Personally with the Depth the Habs on defence I think a trade for a guy that has a high chance of being a "blake Coleman" like player would do them some good. The problem is that Xhekaj is that while he probably will be a 3rd pairing defenceman for his career he has a unique skillset that is hard to find.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't follow Montreal closely, why is he in the AHL?
A lot of bodies already on D, and when he returned from injury, Struble had basically taken over his spot. He was sent down to work on his all-around play, so he doesn't stay a 3d pairing fighter. The guy could be an effective top-4 guy but he does need to round out his game a bit, and that's what the AHL is for.

To Montreal:
Arseni Gritsyuk
Graeme Clarke
Thanks for the in-depth explanation of why these guys would be a good fit in Montreal, and how Xhekaj would fit in well in NJ, as well as your overall rationale for the deal. It makes for compelling reading. Really.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I guess you don't know who Gritsyuk is.

I mean Gritsyuk isn’t exactly lighting the KHL on fire. He’s 8th on SKA, his own team’s scoring. I like his tools but I’m not sure he’s exactly been on a rocket ship in terms of development since breaking out a couple of years ago. He’ll be 23 before the Russian season is over and can’t come over until the summer of 2025.

Not sure why the Habs would consider him some great prize… he’s far from a sure thing.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I don't follow Montreal closely, why is he in the AHL?
Injured his shoulder and was out of 3 weeks. Jayden Struble has been playing great since his promotion, so Hughes decided to let Arber cook in the AHL while he still has waiver options.
For those who continue to insist he's a plug, he's playing 20+ minutes a night on 1st pair next to Mailloux - in all situations. 10 pts in 12 games.
Laval's coach has a man-crush on him.
he isn't available

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Xhekaj isn't available pending something absurd. He got sent down after being injured, is on Lavals top pairing and is almost point/game as a 22 year old D since being sent down.

The player he is playing with will likely be his eventual partner in Montreal, having them develop together while both not needing waivers is a good thing.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I see pontential in the trade but I don't know much of the Habs longterm planning at LW.

Are they going to keep Slaf at RW long term? If so there is definitely a spot for a player like Gritsyuk on the LW. If not they would have a bit of a logjam with Gritsyuk.

Personally with the Depth the Habs on defence I think a trade for a guy that has a high chance of being a "blake Coleman" like player would do them some good. The problem is that Xhekaj is that while he probably will be a 3rd pairing defenceman for his career he has a unique skillset that is hard to find.
Like you posted [
Xhekaj is that while he probably will be a 3rd pairing defenceman for his career he has a unique skillset that is hard to find.
Is the reason why it would take more than his actual value for us to consider moving him. I don't get why so many posters on this board don't understand that.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
I guess you don't know who Gritsyuk is.
I won't profess to be an expert on him but the Habs have at least five or six guys in the pipe who look to be as good as or better than he is , I really don't see the point of adding another "Gritsyuk" at the expense of Xhekaj who would be a much sought after commodity if he was ever put on the open market by Montreal .

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I won't profess to be an expert on him but the Habs have at least five or six guys in the pipe who look to be as good as or better than he is , I really don't see the point of adding another "Gritsyuk" at the expense of Xhekaj who would be a much sought after commodity if he was ever put on the open market by Montreal .
I can see an argument for Roy but other then that I don't know how you can say there are five or six guys in the Habs pipeline that are as good or better.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad